“Top notch once again. Great to be back.”
Review of Strickland Arms

Strickland Arms
Ranked #37 of 159 Restaurants in Kendal
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed April 10, 2012

I was back to the lakes for a quick visit over Easter and couldn't resist another cracking lunch at the Strick. Once again my views were confirmed as we all had a cracking meal. The place is a treat with great value and grub to match. Love it. I wish I could live here. I'll be back.

Adam B, General Manager at Strickland Arms, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2012

Thank you so much for the positive feedback.....it will certainly act as motivation for my great team.

BDM Ainscoughs
Manager Strickland Arms

Reviewed April 9, 2012

I have been to the Strickland Arms on several occasions and have not been disappointed at all. The menu is varied and is reasonably priced. The food is always hot and tasty, the staff friendly. If you want a tasty pub lunch, this is the place to go.

Reviewed April 6, 2012

This was our first visit to the Strickland Arms and we thought we'd give it ago with my parents-in-law after driving past a few times and the place looking nice from the outside (BIG MISTAKE!). Firstly we were put upstairs in the dark where there was no atmosphere and the table was still sticky from lunch time, then it became apparent as it was getting dark there was a lack of lighting in the room, then when ordering food the waiter failed to ask what veg I would like with my steak followed by asking for a medium/well done steak and getting it rare (NOT IDEAL WHEN PREGNANT!), when the home cut chips arrived turns out they were Aunt Bessie's cooked peely walley, service was repeatedely slow and finally they got the bill wrong not once but three times! Oh forgot to mention the toilets were like a swimming pool in the ladies! I can confirm I will not be returning until the place is under new management.

HKrugerManager, General Manager at Strickland Arms, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2012

Thank you for your review. Firstly I apologise over your less than pleasant experience with us and secondly I would like to take the opportunity to explain where we stand on the points that you raised.

1. The Strickland Arms has had a difficult time management-wise and now that we have a new manager in place, I hope that the inconsistencies will leave us behind and that we will once again provide an excellent experience.

2. The lavatories are now fixed and the water that was witnessed on the floor was cleared on as regular a basis as possible.

3. The lighting in the room where you were sat is in the process of being fixed and I apologise that that this had not happened at the time of your visit. Sometimes the downstairs area fills up very quickly and inevitably someone has to be the first table in a room- it appears that this was you!

4. Receiving a steak that was not cooked correctly is not acceptable and I hope that you raised this at the time of your visit? I also hope that you highlighted your condition the member of the team that took your order so that we could have made a note of it.

Please do furnish me with your details so that I may ring you and invite you back to The Strickland Arms with my compliments.

Many thanks for your input

Reviewed March 30, 2012

This pub/restaurant has been open for a few years now and is very successful. You can go anytime from lunchtime onwards and can be sure of getting a huge delicious, well presented snack or meal which is always a pleasure to eat, along with some great beers which change from time to time. You can take your dog in too which is always a bonus for us dog lovers. We are lucky to have it on our doorstep.

Thank you for the good feedback. Look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Many thanks

Reviewed March 27, 2012

Eight of us went to the Strickland Arms for our friends birthday. The pub was very quiet and lacked any atmosphere. Took a very long time to be served with drinks, not just at first, but throughout the whole night. Menu looked like there was a lot of choice but most of us struggled to find something we fancied on it. Once we ordered, some of us had to reorder due to lack of stock. When we asked for butter for the bread we were told there was none, surely a basic requirement when serving food? Of the two waitresses who served us, the dinner waitress came across as sarcastic, repeating our orders incorrectly and when we asked for salt and pepper she asked if there was any on the table...again, surely I would not ask if there was some on the table. Food was very slow. Starters were fine, but not worth the price. Main courses were not great. The lamb was shocking. Very tough and very strong. Not good for the price. The steaks were chewy and the hamburger buns could have broken your teeth. The hotpot arrived in such a boiling pot that the food was still bubbling and there was no warning off the waitress to be careful, even though we had children with us. Only good meal was fish and chips. We had two older children with us who really struggled with the wait for the main courses.
The waitresses were helpful in that they delivered a cake to the table for the birthday celebration, but then it was a little too late.
Toilets were grubby, not what you would expect in a restaurant charging these prices. Water was leaking everywhere and I certainly didn't want to step in it.
This was our second visit to the Strickland Arms. After a first very average visit we thought we would give it another try to see if there was an improvement. There was not, therefore we will not return. In comparison to a pub such as the Derby Arms in Witherslack where there is a lovely atmosphere and a great welcome, the Strickland Arms needs to get over its reputation and start serving people properly.

2  Thank AbandRhys

Im sorry to read of your disappointing time here at The Strickland Arms. We are currently bedding in a completely new team and clearly our training is ongoing. Our menu is currently under review and new dishes will be implemented very soon. I do have to say that the majority of people do love our menu style and find it varied with great choice- clearly this was not the case with you and in future we will be coupling our main menu with a fuller specials menu.
With reference to the Hot Pot and without sounding crass; the majority of main courses in any establishment will be served 'hot' and it is the parents responsibility to look after their own children and it should also be in our work ethic highlight areas where caution may be needed- I can assure you that this will be conveyed to the team.

Thank you for taking the time to be so constructive. It would also be of great help if you could also take the time to ring me at the Pub so that I may invite you back.

Many thanks