“Good base, shame about the parking!”

Premier Inn Kendal Central Hotel
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Kendal
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stayed in the Kendal PremierInn as a base for the Lakes. After booking online, we got an email about the limited parking on site and also a week before our arrival, we received a courtesy call from the hotel to reiterate the information. I thought this showed very good customer services, which is something we are used to from PremierInn. On arrival, thankfully there was one spot left and my husband was able to claim it - the parking situation was pretty ridiculous as there seemed to be some construction work going around and cars were parked haphazardly. The location of the hotel itself is great as it is very central, but the parking situation is a bit of a nightmare. Not sure how the restaurant/ pub next door copes as I can't imagine many diners being impressed with the lack of parking?! Check-in was painless and the receptionist was helpful in explaining re parking - when it's free, etc. The room was a standard room with toiletries, towels and hairdryer provided. There was also free tea and coffee though a shame no decaf (which Travelodge does provide!!). Loving the curved shower rail so the shower curtain doesn't cling to you in the shower - great shower with just the right spray and temperature! Besides the parking situation, another flaw is the soap dispenser at the sink which didn't work very well, so we had to press it quite a few times for it to work. It would also be great if there were towel rails in the toilets - as there is only one hook at the back of the door and nowhere to put hand towels. The bath is quite high, so for someone with short legs like me, I had to take extra care when getting in and out of the bath. We had a good night's sleep at the hotel and will not hesitate to stay in another PremierInn in future. We didn't have breakfast booked through the hotel as it's pretty pricey (more than £8) and you can easily get cheaper breakfasts elsewhere. I think it's commendable that customer services seem to be a key in the chain and I applaud the efforts taken by staff to make sure guests feel welcome and comfortable. Well done, PremierInn!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,261)

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I was booked this hotel by our head office, to stay over while covering the store in Kendal. I found it very comfortable, clean and the food was good and plenty of it. The bed was comfortable and I slept well. Staff were very helpful and had very good knowledge of the area. I am happy to be going back again this week. The breakfast is very good but just couldnt manage to eat too much then go to work!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Booked to stay here for the night as I received the Premier Inn email having stayed in their hotels before. We were planning to stay somewhere near Lake Windermere before travelling onto York for a few days. For the date we wanted the room was only £29 which was amazing and booked it immediately. Although the rooms in Premier Inns are standard throughout, it is great knowing what to expect and that the standards are very high. We arrived a couple of hours early but our room wasn't yet ready so we headed off out to do some exploring. When we returned the room was ready and check in was efficiently done and we were advised of the offer for dinner and breakfast which we opted for after reading the details. Our room was clean and comfortable and the bathroom was good. Even hair/body wash in the shower. Great when only staying a short time. I have stayed in Premier Inns before and know how comfortable the beds are. I think my husband was a bit sceptical but was extremely pleased to find out I wasn't "bending" the truth. We both slept soundly and would have loved to take the mattress home. Our breakfast in the morning was delicious (as was our meal the evening before - even though just usual pub menu food) The location was great for us and would definitely recommend to others

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main road which did seem to be a bit busy.
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed at the Kendal premier inn for one night in March 2013 on our way to Grasmere for a few days. We were very lucky on arrival to get a car parking space as they are very limited (to be fair a member of staff had rung me a few days before to advise me about the parking and they would help show us where we could park). On arrival we were met by Sophie, and excellent member of staff who was very cheerful and helpful. Hotel is in easy walking distance of a number of places to eat and drink (we ate at the 'Deja-Vu' next door - very good!) Room was great with loads of room and no noise outside. A great hotel to stay and will be back again.

Room Tip: Room 4 on the ground floor was very good for us
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We use this hotel on a regular basis as a stopover travelling south from Scotland. It really is a great value place to stay, with very comfortable rooms and lovely staff. Parking has never been an issue as you are free to use the Council Offices car park which is almost opposite. Our reservations lie with the standard of food in the restaurant. We had a lunch there at the beginning of December which was simply awful. We asked for some finger vegetables for a baby and were given a plate of boiled cabbage. Very odd choice! On our latest visit, we ate in the restaurant in the evening. I ordered beer battered fish and chips, which was more expensive than the standard fish and chips. Now, I have eaten beer battered fish and chips in a number of restaurants and would expect the fish to be coated in light, crispy, tasty batter. Not the case here. The fish was that kind of triangle shape you get when you buy frozen battered fish and the batter was overcooked and hard. My husband had some kind of chicken and ham pie and he was not too impressed with that either. We have had issues before trying to get served with Irish coffee later in the evening. It was early, so we decided to give it another go. Guess what? No Irish whiskey available to make our coffee. We chose other liqueur type coffees and they were unlike any we have seen before. Normally, you drink your coffee and liqueur through some lovely thick cream. Not in this case. They looked like lattes gone wrong and I couldn't even drink mine. I know that Premier Inn take customers comments seriously and hope that they take these issues on board.
It's a shame, I do love this hotel and its friendly staff but in future we'll be eating elsewhere when we visit.

1  Thank Shawlands
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Great location in town centre. Very clean rooms and corridors but poor car parking facilities. Bit noisy due to building work outside but hotel it's self fairly quiet. Pub restaurant attached but better quality and better value meals available in other pubs.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Stayed here for one night for a family wedding in the area and decided to give the Premier Inn a go, we were so happy we did. The service was excellent, from the text before we set off to ensure we had directions, to having the room ready early at our request so we could get changed and ready for the church, all showed signs of a competent and customer centric ethos.

I had read many posts about the dire parking situation at present, partly it seems due to building work close by, however on both occasions (Friday lunchtime & Saturday morning) when I needed to park I was able to do so.

We had a family room for my two children, wife and I and it was comfortable and clean and other than my 9 month old waking us with her cries (oh the joy) we had a good nights sleep.

We paid for the full breakfast and again we were impressed. Choice is good and nothing was too much trouble for the staff, in fact they were really attentive. Cereals, toast, fruit, yogurts etc were self service, hot foods were taken on order, tea and coffee was self service.

So would we stay in a Premier Inn again as a family, too right...

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kendal
Riverside Hotel
6 mi away
Crooklands Hotel
Crooklands Hotel
#2 of 13 in Kendal

Been to Premier Inn Kendal Central Hotel? Share your experiences!