“Margaret Tamworth”

Hillside Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 42 Kendal B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Excellent.what a beautiful house,little extra touches every where. breakfast was superb, and as i looked around the crockery was very colourful bright and very clean everywhere, i will be telling my friends about this hotel.

Room Tip: i would say all rooms were excellent!!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed at the Hillside in June 2013 while walking the Dalesway. We could not have been happier. My wife and I travel from Canada frequently and almost always stay in B&Bs. They don't get much better than this. Richard and Wendy are friendly and helpful. The breakfasts are excellent!! The rooms are clean and comfortable and are cleaned each day in a prompt and thorough manner. The location is wonderful - truly only a few minutes to the town centre.

Patrick M.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We made a last-minute decision to have a short 3day break in Kendal, having spent three hours trying to get accommodation in Carlisle !! This proved to be a very lucky change of plan! Hillside cannot be faulted. Richard and Wendy are really friendly and helpful, the food is great and our bedroom was large, with lots of storage and was spotlessly clean. The bathroom was immaculate, with a lovely modern shower (once we'd sorted out how to work it!!)
We were able to park our car right outside Hillside, using the free parking voucher we were given, and there our car stayed as we found lots to do and see in Kendal.The town centre really is only a two minute walk downhill. We can certainly recommend Hillside to anyone wanting a stay in that part of Cumbria.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Judith J
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stayed in a comfortable, clean & spacious twin room at a reasonable rate. The ensuite bath was more than adequate. Parking is at a premium and they furnished us with a card that allowed overnight parking. The house is on a steep hill down to the shopping area but nothing an amibitious lady with a cane couldn't handle. Richard & Wendy Fawthrop have done a lovely job of making one feel welcome. The surprise and delight was the extreme to which they went with help on directions to the Lakes District (great map) and the tips for two older ladies from the States. They helped us make the reservations for our next trip, told us about approximately where to locate and warned of what to expect when half term and a bank holiday weekend were combined! Plus I would ditto the other reviewers. I would go back in a heartbeat and trust their advice again and again!

Room Tip: Be frank with them about your needs. Heat and I think hot water are on timers, best to find out the...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We chose Hillside as a base for three days visiting in this area, after having difficulty finding a place with availability for the nights we needed. We could not have been more delighted. Hillside scores very highly for cleanliness, thoughtfulness of the way its rooms are set up and equipped, and the warmth of the welcome from Wendy and Richard. Our hosts know the area very well and love to share their knowledge with their guests. There is a great sense of family pride in what they offer. Although we had no need for special help, each morning we saw how they went out of their way to assist other guests, many of whom were on walking holidays and welcomed help in getting themselves and/or their baggage to their next point of departure. In our case, the unprompted offer of the loan of a large umbrella as we stepped out in a heavy shower was another example of how they look out for their guests.

Breakfast includes a self service juice/cereal/yoghurt bar, cooked breakfast options to order, including a vegetarian sausage option, and tea or coffee made to order. Don't miss the Cumberland sausage and local marmalade. Richard also offers any help his guests may need on arrangements or destinations for the day ahead, including advice on routes to avoid on account of local events which may cause traffic delays.

Other reviews have commented on the location, on a steep hill. This is not the place for guests with physical limitations - there are steep steps up to the front door and no ground floor bedrooms. But the location is a couple of minutes away from the nearest restaurants and pubs (a few more minutes on the way back, up the hill.) Guests are alo provided with parking permits, as street parking is under tight time controls 24/7. In our three days, we always found a space within 100 yards or so, but that is a slight inconvenience. There is only room for a maximum of 4 vehicles in the bays immediately above Hillside on Beast Banks. Richard encourages visitors to stop on the yellow lines right out front on arrival and ask for his help in carrying any heavy bags inside, before collecting a permit and looking for a space to park.

I have known the area for many years but had not spent time in the town before. Although like most UK market towns there are some current signs of retail distress, it has a very wide range of restaurants, pubs and cafes, and a large range of shopping, from the big Marks & Spencer and Booths supermarket through most regular high street names and a wide variety of small independent businesses

Room Tip: We took the last available room, a standard twin, and were entirely satisfied
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I stayed for two nights as I was up for a work event. It is up a steep hill - you can see why the road is called Beast Banks(!) but it's only a two minute walk from the main road in Kendal. I was welcomed by Wendy who showed me to room 1, the superior single. The room is large, with dual aspect windows. The room was spotless and the en-suite shower room equally clean, with Cumbrian themed shower gel/soaps etc, very soft and fluffy towels too! The bed was comfortable, everything has been thought of, such attention to detail. Wendy was happy to offer advice about where to eat locally and how to get to my work event. They have a huge rang of tourist information in the hallway. Breakfast both mornings was great and Richard serves the guests (and is very friendly, just like Wendy). Wide choice at breakfast: cereals, fruit, yogurts, cooked breakfast and locally sourced marmalade. They accommodated my request for vegetarian sausages and supplied soya milk, it was no trouble at all. It really is an 'easy' place to be, just so relaxed and everything is spot on. I'd recommend this B&B to anyone looking for a reliable, personal, central place to stay in Kendal. This is how a B&B should be!

Room Tip: I'm sure they are all great - I stayed in room 1 which was a superior single room,
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I stayed on a Sunday night after three days of fairly strenuous hiking in the Lakes based at a self-catering hostel. I wanted to unwind and enjoy my creature comforts before heading back to work. My expectations were thoroughly fulfilled. The small single room was, as advertised, small, but entirely suitable for my purpose, with nice fluffy towels for the bathroom and a comfy bed. The shower didn't give lashings of water, but it's more environment-friendly not to use vast quantities of hot water, so I didn't have any problem with that. After a good night's sleep, there was a splendid breakfast (full English, vegetarian available) during which I observed our delightfully relaxed and friendly host giving a wealth of useful local advice to other guests. He cheerfully told me exactly where the best views in town could be found. I recommend exploring Kendal - it is a lovely town, and the many different paths and alleys criss-crossing the hillsides open up a variety of vistas. The Hillside B&B is a very good base for exploring and I hope to visit again soon.

Room Tip: The stairs are quite steep so ask which floor your room will be on if this is an issue.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo