“Great atmosphere”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
St Ives, United Kingdom
“Great atmosphere”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Enjoyed a great meal here on 1st November. We have always noted that the restaurant is full until 8pm so we booked a table for 8pm at lunchtime. On arrival our table was not quite ready so we were invited to one of the two upstairs bars for a drink.

When our table was ready downstairs, it was a table for four despite there only being two of us and it was right at the front in the window. An excellent view and excellent for people watching up and down Stramongate.

On reading the menu it is clear to see why the restaurant is full until 8pm as Happy Hour prices are incredibly cheap with some meals costing as little as £2.99. Well as we were not there for a bargain we enjoyed a two course meal and a bottle of wine. I was slightly disappointed to find on paying that the Sambuca shot was not provided complimentary, considering our bill did come to over £50.

We enjoyed ourselves and our food was without fault.

Would go back again.

• Visited November 2013

Bolton, UK
“Authentic? Italian? Please!”
Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

The restaurant looks nice from outside, and that's where the best place to be would be.
The menu includes prawn crackers, steak strips in Worcester sauce with Fragrant rice and Peroni battered fish and chips. The other myriad of dishes are from a mish mash of backgrounds.
I wanted some time to study the three column 50 dishes menu, trying to sift through the never ending streak of spelling mistakes; but after the third waiter in a row asked me whether I was ready to order a drink, I gave in and ordered a bottle of wine. Not too badly priced. And that's where my positive comments end.
Starters were basic, garlic prawns in half a pint of cream and goats cheese in a frozen vol-au-vent... Covered in sweet balsamic dressing out of a jar.
Pizzas from my table neighbours were looking pale and microwave looking, so I passed on that.
I wasn't in a steak mood, so I went for pasta... Thought how wrong can you be? Very!
Despite the omnipotent black pepper and fresh parmesan, you couldn't help but noticing that the Chinese chef forgot to salt the water!
The "sauce" was a creamy and oily soup substance which left a finger deep layer in my plate.
The pancetta was actually bacon and the chicken was tasteless.
Quite horrible.
The Eros Ramazzotti and Laura Pausini best Spanish success kept playing on repeat to make the whole experience even more unbearable.
Although the Slovakian waiter tried to be nice and welcoming, I don't think I'll be coming back soon!

1 Thank Emmanuel G
“Happy Hour Extreme”
Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

Brilliant night for neighbours 80th birthday. Staff attention was superb and the happy 'hour' all Monday night deal is the reason this restaurant is packed and others in the area empty or closed on a Monday. Although the standard of meals generally stretches from adequate to excellent. Tonight was brilliant all round. Sensational thin & crispy garlic pizza style bread for starters and my Spag Carbonara at only £2.99 was unbelievable quality. Refurb has improved the atmosphere and the staff are friendly and informally attentive.

Blackpool, United Kingdom
“Super Service, Super Price”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Took a chance and turned up without a reservation on a Sunday night just as the restaurant was. opening.

The restaurant soon became very busy but a table was found for us and within minutes our order wad taken. Given we Han a inpatient 20 month old as part of the group this was much appreciated.

The food was superb and the children's portion was very reasonably sized and well presented.

We were fortunate enough to be able to partake of the happy hour pricing and despite the fact that selected pizza and pasta dishes were only £2.99 there was no skimping on quality on food quality and the service from the staff was excellent.

• Visited November 2013
Kendal, England, United Kingdom
“Busy, buzzing good value restaurant”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I eat here at least twice a month, generally at busy times when the lower-priced meals are available. If I wanted an intimate chat I would go at less busy times and pay more. As regulars, staff put themselves out for us - we can be a dozen, arriving unbooked for a late Sunday lunchtime. Its last face lift made it less noisy, and they can now turn the volume down on the music, which used to make people shout above it! Plenty of choice of pasta and pizza dishes and a simple wine list. Generous portions.It is a child-friendly place and vegetarian dishes are clearly shown.

• Visited October 2013