“What a party!”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed January 6, 2011

We spent New Years eve at the Watermill, i have to say we really enjoyed it and the entertainment was very good, my Wife and i also had dinner which was lovely, the steak cooked just as i like it and my Wifes ale pie superb, all rounded off which great beer and good company, what a great night, thank you to the owners and all the staff who worked really hard.

Reviewed January 4, 2011

Just to give you an idea how strongly I feel - I have never done a review before!

Been here twice in the last two years - both times had good food and beer but the attitude of the staff is appalling, it strikes me that they are resting on their reputation and don't care about their customer service, abrupt, bad manners, very poor atmosphere, I will be updating the local CAMRA group as well, they should not be in the guide.

Here's what happened in October, I went into the front bar (virtually empty) and stood at the bar, wallet in hand for about 10 minutes before eventually being served, during this time no less than 4 staff had walked straight past me making no eye contact or asking if I needed serving, when someone eventually spoke to me it was as if they were doing me a favour getting a round of drinks. All the staff I met were rude and abrupt.

Guess what, I will never go there again (unless they get new owners who don't rest on their reputation)

6  Thank SuperMart
lakespub, Manager at Watermill Inn & Windermere Brewing Co, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2011

First may I point out that 2 messages have been sent to this user via Trip Advisor so far no reply has been sent to me.
I have apologised and requested to know the date and time of the visit, so I will be able to check on cctv who walked past etc. There is no excuse if someone was rude. Waiting on staff, chefs or bedroom staff don’t work the bar so if they walked past again I apologise
I am relieved to hear the food and beer has been good on both occasions.
You have mentioned poor atmosphere and then say the bar was virtually empty! I can only guess you came in between 3pm and 5pm but still that is no excuse.
The Watermill is open 7 days a week and we cover a rota of nearly 16 hours a day. That’s a working week of 112 hours and yes we are a busy popular place with a very good reputation which we never rest upon and are always looking to improve as you can never stand still!
So for you to say we should not be listed by CAMRA is slightly childish to say the least.
To say you would not come in again unless new owners were installed is pathetic and a cheep remark.
If you felt so strongly an email to the pub would have sorted this out but you seem intent on discrediting the Watermill for some sad reason, I can only hope this is not from a fellow publican.
Trip Advisor also has us listed down as Watermill Inn where you will find some nice people do come here and for those people who do come, you will be made most welcome
Sorry for the long winded reply but WE CARE!

Reviewed December 21, 2010

Yes it a good spot to stay but it could be great. The pub itself is great and most of the staff are friendly.Some however need to make one more welcome.The manager/owner could not be more pleasant but male staff not always.
The food is no more than average and I suspect the food is pre-prepared and rmicrowaved.Breakfast however was excellent but the again with good ingredients not hard to do. And last of all the food is quite expensive for what it is. Sheperds pie for a tenner with pickled cabbage and bread.

Reviewed November 26, 2010

We decided to pop into this pub on our way back from Scotland. First impressions weren't good to be honest, despite what I'd read here. It was a Saturday night, but once through the door you would be mistaken for believing that you had entered Crufts.

The place was packed to filling point with dogs of all shapes and sizes. This made for an uncomfortable "doggy" atmosphere, where the scent of dog permeated everything. Dogs constantly barking didn't help. However the barking dogs did help to lift the sterile and unsociable atmosphere of the people who were in this pub. Anyway, I digress.

One positive aspect of the pub was the wide range of beers that they have to offer, and I tried some of the local brews, which were good. However whatt let this down, and the subsequent serving of food, was the distinctly poor service from the staff. Some of them don't speak any English and stare at you. Some of them who are English (I'm thinking of one person in particular) won't attempt to use it. Many of the people in here, both customers and staff, look as if they are competing for the annual Cumberland Gurning Contest.

Food was average, and overpriced. Local bog standard fayre, which is cheaper and better (along with better service) in Carlisle or Penrith. The smell of dog did not help my appetite.

Overall a very sterile and grim public house, where anyone under the age of 50 will feel very much out of place, and anyone who is sociable and over the age of 50 won't feel too great either. Pretty mediocre, and not on my list of recommendations.

2  Thank princekey
Reviewed October 26, 2010

Thanks heavens for a straightforward real pub that doesn't try and be something else. Called in here after walking in the lakes with friends and had some great beer in a lively, friendly and welcoming atmosphere. Recommended!