Open today: Closed

from $284.91
from $83.26
from $325.24
2,402 results
All reviews beatrix potter timed tickets car park peter rabbit national trust lake district ticket office miss potter small garden step back in time time slot gift shop goat potter fans lovely visit samuel whiskers guide book
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

A lovely place for the family to visit especially young children age 3-12. I enjoyed the activities including the artistic ‍‍stuff like how I drew a picture of Mrs Tiddlewinkle from peter rabbit 9/10

Date of experience: August 2019
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This was a must visit for us whilst in the area, I have always been in awe of Beatrix Potter. We arrived for opening time on a Sunday and managed to park and get tickets with no issues. The house itself is well preserved and there are staff in each room to answer questions. Small groups at a time to prevent overcrowding. I have to say I expected a bit more, we were in and out within 15 mins. There were no interesting facts written down, no information to read etc. Some of the staff volunteered information to the whole room but others only spoke when spoken to. All in all I didn’t learn anything more about Beatrix but couldn’t help feeling like it’s a very special place nonetheless.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My wife and I are on a group tour of the UK. We visited the village of Sawry in the Lake District to see the house where Beatrix Potter lived. The tour of the house and grounds was given by the woman who currently occupies the house - what a treat! (The house is owned by England's National Trust. When it becomes vacant, people apply to rent the house.)

Beatrix Potter wrote "Peter Rabbit" and several other children's books. But we learned that her real passion in life was farming, and in particular, working with Herdwick sheep. The sale of her books provided the money she needed to buy several farms in the Sawry area. She worked the land very seriously.

The photos of this property that are currently on Tripadvisor are not at all what it looks like! The current occupants have worked quite hard on the garden with an aim to make it quite beautiful and simple, and to make the house more visible.

Please visit if you have the chance.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We decided to visit this house late on Sunday when the weather turned a bit iffy. From Bowness-On-Windermere, it’s not an easy drive, so I’d recommend the ferry, which we took on the return journey (£5 per car, each way).
The house is very interesting and is maintained in its original condition. Although this means it’s rather dark, this just adds to the experience.
The staff are very knowledgeable and friendly.
We called on spec (around 3:30pm) and got entry immediately, but I’m sure this would not be the case at peak times.
Car parking could be a bit of a challenge!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Although cannot say I was a Beatrix Potter fan my grandchildren have read some of the books and watched Peter Rabbit on the TV so I absolutely found our visit to Hill Top most enjoyable and a great insight to the authors way of life when she moved to the Lakes from London. The house is well preserved and looked after by the National Trust , there is refreshment available in the garden and a small gift shop at the site . It was a very wet day when we visited so would like to visit again on a sunny day