“Very interesting!”

Private Tour: Lake District of Beatrix Potter
Ranked #2 of 12 things to do in Hawkshead
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Hill Top was Beatrix Potter's most beloved place, packed full of her favourite things and left just as she wanted it for visitors to enjoy. You will see why she loved it so much and used it and the surrounding countryside as inspiration for many of her famous children's tales. Your visit helps the National Trust continue her work to look after the Lake District.
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Went with Mountain Goat Tours so learned quite a bit about her before I got to it. Have to pay extra, think it was 8 pounds to go in the house. I went & enjoyed it. She was such an amazing artist and such an amazing woman! Didn't really know much before I went & had actually booked another tour, but it didn't have enough people to run so they suggested I take this one...so I figured, okay! And was glad I did. You can also get there from Lake Windermere by bus. But the Tour gave so much more value. If the tour stops in the nearby town of Hawkshead, make sure you go to her Gallery there. That was really interesting too.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

I have visited here many times, originally with my own children and now with grandchildren. The effect is the same - nothing changes, the magic is still there, although I think very young children enjoy The World of Beatrix Potter just as much, if not more, because of the activities at Bowes. Adults appreciate the house more however, because of the influences derived by the author when she was drafting the original stories.
Look out for the rabbits in the field beyond the garden - they really made it for our little companion!

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Terrible value for money 2 up and 2 down cottage with more guides than rooms and whilst they allegedly are portraying the austere lifestyle in which she lived, quite clearly the National Trust do not live in this lifestyle given the prices they charge! They do a reduced price deal with the museum in Town which is fractionally larger and I am sure that whilst Beatrix wished to pass her her enormous legacy onto the nation, I am sure she would turn in her grave at the explotation being blatantly abused by the NT for this and her other attractions she generously donated. It no doubt subsidises many other NT attractions but to be frank you would not notice and it is very easy to spend a small fortune for little in return and sadly it is not just the NT who are guilty of this in the Lakes

12  Thank julian H
Reviewed April 12, 2013

My daughter and I were blessed to be able to visit England last spring and included in our visit was a trip north to the Lake District. We have long been fans of Beatix Potter and so we were keen to visit Hill Top House. We went as part of a guided tour because we didn't have a car and it simplified things. Because of this we did not have to wait to enter the house.

Some have called it dark and dingy but this is how houses were built in that time period. They did not have the large windows and open floor plans that are common today. I found it fascinating to be in Beatrix Potter's very own home filled with her original belongings. Every room told a story. We were not rushed through the house and it wasn't overly crowded when we visited. There were guides all about the house who were very knowledgeable if you took the time to talk to them.

The gardens outside were beautiful as well. We didn't see Peter Rabbit or any of his family but enjoyed wandering about the garden nonetheless. While we visited Hill Top Farm we also stopped in the shop and picked up a few souvenirs. Had we not been flying with carryon luggage I would have been tempted to buy much more!

It was a dream to see the home of Beatrix Potter and I'm glad we were able to do so. I'd recommend it to anyone who is interested in Ms. Potter and her work.

1  Thank 1_Can_Do_Mom
Reviewed April 12, 2013

It's a very quaint house, but for 8.50 pounds a person it is only worth it if you know the Beatric Potter tales. If you are a fan, brush up on your books before you go and then be sure to ask the guides "can you tell me about each room"? Otherwise you are left wandering the small house by yourself and you miss the parts where the mouse broke into the doll house to try to eat the plastic food or where the kitten was stuck under the floor boards in her tales. Each tale is represented throughout her house.

If you're not a fan or only read one or two books many years ago you likely will go through it in 15 minutes wondering why you paid the money.