“No frills - just good traditional food.”
Review of The Red Lion Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hawkshead
The Red Lion Inn
Ranked #5 of 23 Hawkshead B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Old Lake District pub. Good traditional pub grub served with a big smile.
Well - kept beer and a fabulous landlady - Lynne - made for the job !
Not the place if you want wall to wall trendy or nouveau cuisine just friendly and warm.
We'll be back soon.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dave C

Reviewed August 11, 2013

What could of been a lovely Sunday Dinner was spoilt by lack of gravy and service. My husband and I both ordered the roast and I must compliment them on their homemade Yorkshire puddings, they looked very scrummy. The meat which was beef was fine, veg bland and overcooked but nice roasties. We both had a drizzle of gravy & I mean a drizzle (which with the size of the Yorkshire was by no means enough) even our friend commented on how she couldnt of eaten it so dry! I asked for a jug of gravy which wasn't a problem and said it would be on its way. After eating slowly it hadn't arrived I again asked then to be told they were making a fresh batch and would take a while i now realised this is why we hardly had any...they had ran out! The lady did apologise but to run out of gravy on a Sunday. Twenty minutes later a lady came with a jug seen I had finished and just disappeared without a word! I had left the pudding and most of the meat, way too dry. Our plates were whisked away again without a word or apology after having left what could of been a decent dinner.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 28, 2013

had a great time early july stayed two nights, ate in one night very good, big portions for a resnobale price, good ale and lovely wines. Cumfy clean room with a great shower, Its a lovely village with friendly people

Room Tip: we stayed at the front and there was no noise
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Called in for a snack recently, Landlord seemed friendly enough and was chatty. We ordered sandwiches . What we got were only average and not worth the cost. Other reviewers seem to have had much better experiences ,so maybe we got there on a bad day. Still , it doesn't take much to serve a decent sandwich !!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We visited The Red Lion again recently. We have dined here previously and thoroughly enjoyed the experience, just good old fashioned pub food. Unfortunately, since our last visit, the menu has changed and the prices have increased, more in line with the other pubs in the village. The food was poor by comparison to our laast visit here. I only hope it was an off day.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank LulusDad
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Was recommended to stay here and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Beautiful surroundings. Nice bar and restaurant. Comfy bed. A bit chintzy but warm, welcoming and would defo stay again.

only downside - no hairdryer in the room

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2013

This is my first post on trip advisor, I've never felt it important in the past, that shows how poor I thought this meal was.
The description on the menu sounded very nice, unfortunately what turned up had no resemblance whatsoever to the menu. I left most of my meal which is very out of character.
Eat elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank hazyboy66
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawkshead
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#3 of 23 in Hawkshead
YHA Hawkshead
YHA Hawkshead
#3 of 3 in Hawkshead

Been to The Red Lion Inn? Share your experiences!