“Very good”

Go Ape at Grizedale Forest Cumbria
Ranked #1 of 12 things to do in Hawkshead
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Our adventure near Hawkshead (the jewel in our crown) has always proved a popular day out. Built on a side of a hill, it feels seriously high. And that's because it is. Enjoy our epic Tree Top Adventure in the Lakes. Swinging through the canopy, wiping out at the bottom of zip wires and going on an adventure brings people together like nothing else we've ever seen. It really does. You'll fly 200 metres across the top of the Grizedale Beck and marvel at the forest canopy 18 metres up a magnificent Douglas Fir. You and your tribe can expect the ultimate adventure at Grizedale. You can get off the beaten track and enjoy our NEW forest adventure with Go Ape Forest Segway - an epic experience with a down to earth twist. And Grizedale Forest is also home to our Tree Top Junior Adventure for Tiny Tarzans. Release your little monkeys onto a Go Ape course designed for them. No one loves adventure more than kids! Zip Trekking Adventure is a brand NEW experience. The course is a network of seven tandem zip lines that traverse the sky-scraping Douglas Firs at Grizedale Forest, providing customers with an exhilarating experience of flying way above the forest floor, and seeing the area in a completely new way. Please arrive 15 minutes before Zip Trekking Adventure.
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Out of the two go apes I have been to grizedale is my prefered also visited the one in buxton, an prefer grizedale as the course seems bigger (it prob is the same size) an is higher up in the trees, also their is more on site to do after, ie go for a walkin the woods etc.

Staff where helfpul and friendly, one annoyance was the late arrival of people because the signing in area is away from kit up extra those who signed in , in good time and return about five to the hour to walk over to the kitting up area ended up finding we where then waiting for people turning up late to sign in and walk over. This dosnt impact on time on the course just gets boring once your kitted up waiting to start.

One annoyance is the cost of parking, this isnt Go Apes fault as the car park is owned by Grizedale Forest and while im sure majority of revenue is used to maintain the forests etc it does seem quite high , dont remember the prices but remember thinking it wasnt cheap.

All in all good place visit, would highley reccommend it to anyone.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

2 kids, 13 & 17 and one big kid had a fantastic time here!

I and our younger daughter and her grandmother just walked round and watched.

We actually had a drink and snack at the nice cafe onsite before we set off after them. I was really glad we gave them an hour headstart as the course was very busy and there was a LOT of waiting at each climb point. It probably took about 4 hours to complete the course. We were probably 1 1/2-2 hours walking round with them and that was enough just staring up! 4 hours would have bored us all silly!

So...if you're a spectator, take your time :-)

Saying that...there is a really long, high zipline near the start and we missed it. I would love to have seen them do this.
I would suggest walking along the path to start, see them do this amazing looking zipline and then go back for your cup of tea before joining them later!

I didn't want to do it so was glad to stay with the little one. but seeing them up there I have to say I was a little jealous!

They had an amazing time and although it was expensive it's worth skipping something else to do it!

The setting is really nice. For younger kids there is a great playground. And as I said, the cafe is really lovely, with good coffee and cakes. If you want to go with your family but not take part, definitely go! It's fun to watch and there are other things to see and do there.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Highest Go Ape in country and best zip wires I have ever done. Very friendly staff. If you are unsure, just give it a try, I had to nag the wife for days to get her along and now she wants to try all of them!

Reviewed September 1, 2013

I had done Go Ape before, admittedly at a different venue (Sherwood Forest) and a stone and a half lighter. I found a couple of the bits quite hairy but I think that is actually quite a good thing. The zipwires were fantastic, so high and long ! The only reason I haven't given this a five star is that it was so busy so there was quite a bit of waiting around. Nevertheless we finished in under 3 hours, of which at least half an hour was the safety briefing. I thought the course was shorter than Sherwood Forest but I could be wrong. Car Parking is extra at £6.90.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Like others reviewers here we were very disappointed with the Segway experience. Great safety talk and time to get confident on your machine and then out into the forest in a regimented crocodile along a well worn track and turn back again. The intro bit probably took almost half of the one hour allocation. What was really needed was an opportunity to either let us free on a loop or dedicated Segway area so we could 'play' or some sort of assault or skills course. Basically this is an easy machine to get used to and there was no 'challenge'. Entertainment for two families for one hour - £240. Felt ripped off.

6  Thank NoodleStroodle