“Warning - do not eat here !!!! Unless you are STARVING !!!”
Review of The Sun Tea Rooms

The Sun Tea Rooms
Ranked #1 of 2 Dessert in Hawkshead
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Small but quirky cafe home of the giant cakes but also serving full meals from soups to our own cured and smoked meats
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I have to say that i have a massive complaint about this place !!! My complaint is............ its just not big enough. We have been to Hawkshead so many time and each time we have had trouble getting a table. So do we go elsewhere ???? Absolutely not - it is always worth the wait - the staff are great and we wont even comment on the cakes ! I see a lot of people have said they share one - oh i wish we had ! we bounced out of there having had one piece each ! Well done Sun Tea rooms - you are amazing !

1  Thank diesel122

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Lovely sandwiches, great service and reasonable prices. Sadly we could not sample the amazing looking cakes as we were too full after the sandwiches and chips. Good selection of food and drinks and friendly, helpful staff.

Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

2 time review
mr trip please don't delet this one !!!!!
What can I say ?.. just perfect !!!
Staff amazingly friendly , the girls are just so lovely, for that is worth going !
The food: mango salad to die for the cakes: tried every single one of them and they are beautiful !!!
I truly recommend this place excellent staff plus excellent food !

Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

We visited the Sun Cafe this afternoon when in Hawkshead - really easy to find, next to the Sun pub. I had read the Trip Advisor reviews and so had read about the amazing cakes on display, but that didn't prepare us for reality! Despite deciding that we wanted to share a slice of cake, my husband also ordered a tuna melt sandwich. I would have helped him eat his sandwich, but tuna melt just isn't my favourite. However, I couldn't resist a sneak preview, and I must say it was rather delicious, and the nicest I have tasted, and he really enjoyed it. The cake we chose to share was Victoria sponge. It was very light and very tasty, and I am ashamed to say that between us we managed to finish all the cake, which we both found really delicious. For those less "greedy", they are offered a box to take their cake away for later. We liked the cafe very much, small and compact, and we were lucky to find a table, but we did. Just a little patience was required! The staff were also very friendly and very helpful - about the nicest we have met during our stay in the Lakes. Altogether a good experience, and we would have no hesitation coming back. Our bill was £12.50 for a cappuccino, a latte, a tuna melt sandwich and one slice of Victoria sponge.

1  Thank Slimlinelizzie
Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

Whilst waiting for the ferry I googled where to eat in Hawkshead and so decided to try the Sun Cottage as its no.1. I wasn't disappointed with my lunch just that it wasn't 5 star. It's tough competition in the Lakes as there are so many other wonderful places around. The cafe is tiny so tables are shoe-horned in, the decor is quirky with a Merseyside theme. If I hadn't read other reviews saying dont be put off by the look of the place, I might've been, it looks a little in need of some love from the exterior. I might've picked the prettier Poppy place round the corner. However the food is freshly prepared tasty and hearty served on rustic chopping boards and the big draw are the enormous cakes in the window. Triple decker Victoria sandwiches of various fillings that sell for £3.50 a slice but are easily enough for 2/3 people. We took 2 slices as takeaway and i think they flatter to deceive as the cakes were mostly cream and a bit lacking in taste. The cafe is cash only and has no loos. Overall good but lacking that elusive 5 star for me.