“A little gem in Hawkshead”
Review of The Sun Tea Rooms

The Sun Tea Rooms
Ranked #1 of 3 Dessert in Hawkshead
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Small but quirky cafe home of the giant cakes but also serving full meals from soups to our own cured and smoked meats
Reviewed August 2, 2013

My husband and I visited Hawkshead a couple of weeks ago and found this little gem of a place to eat. As we're not too hungry we shared a roast beef sandwich which looked an tasted delicious. The sandwich came with a very small dish of salad covered in the most delicious dressing I have ever tasted and was told that the owners daughter had made her own dressing -if she bottled it I'd buy it. Now let me tell you about the cake... Huge and absolutely the best carrot cake I have had and I have had many many. We will be back...... Cannot wait.

PS I am waiting for the recipe for the dressing-pleeeeeeeeeease

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Tried this place on spec. Food better than expected but beware the cakes, hubby and I had to admit defeat, couldn`t eat it all and such a shame as it was delicious. The cakes taste as good as they look !

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Just returned from a three day break in the Lake District,and felt I had to put a review on trip advisor about this small but beautiful cafe. We sat outside on a lovely summers day. I had the seafood chowder hubby had the black pudding ciabatta(delicious). We where so full but felt we had to have a slice of the beautiful chocolate strawberry cake,it was as light as a feather. If you visit hawkshead don't miss this cafe you won't be disappointed WHAT A FIND,we shall be back.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

If you think the cakes look big in the photo's - wait until you see them through the window. They are the biggest cakes i have ever seen and strangely enough they are so light that the massive portion they serve is possible to eat.

We had one in the cafe and the following day we had one to take away. It was awesome.

Only down side is that the cafe is small so its not easy to get a table. Small but perfectly formed.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Lunched at the Sun Cottage on Thursday. I had an open seafood sandwich with a scallop shell full of a delicious fishy creamy saucy crumble. Yum yum. My friend had an open sandwich of chicken with a mango salsa which she said was delicious. We had a piece of carrot cake between us....it was a huge piece and was the most moist and light carrot cake I have ever tasted. With a pot of tea for two the whole lot came to less than £20. Superb food. Service friendly and helpful.
Will call again...........and again.........and again.........