“ANOTHER WONDERFUL STAY”

High Grassings Country House
Ranked #8 of 23 Hawkshead B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Thank you again once more for your hospitality during our recent stay with you.We will continue to return to your beautiful home in the most outstanding of British countryside.I am sorry to have waited so long,despite staying with you numerous times,until I have posted a comment on this site.It was so nice to see you at your local inn where we could appreciate a few of the wonderful local ales.We would very much like to come back & stay for the New Year but maybe a little too far to travel for a 1/2 night stay.Thank you so much again

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank stewart h
There are newer reviews for High Grassings Country House

Reviewed October 20, 2012

My husband and I along with two French friends spent one night at High Grassings in October 2012. The rooms and breakfast were alright and the house had lovely views. However we had a very unfortunate experience with the owners. The woman came to my room and insisted that I come with her to see the mess on the stair carpet. When I reached the top of the stairs her husband was at the bottom and began shouting at me in a most aggressive way saying that I had trodden sheep dung onto his carpet. (He used a much more basic word for dung.) I tried to explain that he was accusing the wrong person but he carried on shouting. I fetched my French friend and we established that her husband had inadvertantly trodden in the dung. There was a sign on the outside door very high up asking people to remove their muddy boots but this was difficult to see for a small person and also my friends do not understand English. Although my friend and I offered to clean the carpet, and subsequently did so, both owners continued to shout at us in a most agressive way. Had I not paid in advance I would have left immediately. Whilst the owners had a right to complain, their way of doing so was completely out of order.The steps leading from the car park to the main door were very steep and uneven and so very difficult to negociate especially for my disabled husband. Moreover,when we went out for our evening meal there was no outside lighting although some had been switched on when we came back.
I could not wait to leave. How did this place receive an AA four star rating?

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Norma_8
Reviewed September 11, 2012

My husband and I stayed here one night. It was hard to find and one of the proprietors did not speak much English and could not offer directions to their home. However, once we found the B&B things got better. We were shown to a beautiful room with a really nice view. It was a little tight but after going back into town for dinner, all we needed was some sleep. The bed was comfortable and the breakfast the next morning was very nice as well. We have stayed in many B&B's and would recommend to the owners to add a bell or something outside their private residence. There were a couple of times that we needed to ask questions and with nobody around (parents have small children) we felt awkward to keep knocking on their door and then waiting for a while for someone to respond. I would also recommend that some good directions be made available as this place is out in the middle of the country with no signage whatsoever. A few tweaks and this place could be a winner. All in, we would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I recently spent 2 nights in the Garden Room at High Grassings. High Grassings is in a most beautiful location with fabulous views. Ideal for walkers and I should think for cyclists. I chose the Garden Suite because it is an independent unit on its own, 'hidden' in the garden and cheaper than the other rooms on offer. It was ideal for me. The host and hostess were very hospitable and the breakfasts were lovely.

Room Tip: High Grassings offers different types of room to suit different size pockets. The garden room would...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Krena
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We arrived six hours early as we wanted to beat the Bank Holiday traffic. On arrival the hosts were very nice and gave us some directions to walk to Hawkshead so we could leave our car at the B&B. The Barn Suite is very clean and comfortable and has a patio overlooking the hills. The breakfast was excellent and you can choose the time you want it delivered to the Barn. Overall excellent stay and would recommend.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Henry187069
Reviewed August 18, 2012

booked this after seeing high ratings on trip advisor,only room left described as garden room double ensuite it turned out to be a wooden shack at the bottom of the very steeply banked garden,you had to duck under overhanging branches then negotiate very slippery slate steps,(it was raining),after a 20 second handover the oriental host dissappeared leaving us stunned at the bare wooden walls with convector heaters hanging off them! (heating system) no hot water in sink no tv only a 16'' tv and a random collection of DVD'S,we could not check in until 4pm and where asked to leave by 10am! they advertised secure cycle storage and as we had to go out for dinner wanted to leave the bikes in secure location the host pointed to a barn on the driveway with no doors on it?we arrived for breakfast at 9.35 and our host greeted us not with a good morning or did you sleep well,but ''you are late for breakfast'' charming host,feeling they are trying to earn hotel turnover from a b&b cramming rooms into outbuildings barns (maybe a treehouse next ! at £85.00 for 18 hours this is not good value and would not recommend.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank stephen k
petre_11, Owner at High Grassings Country House, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

On the website I have mentioned that there is no TV and no hot water sink. Breakfast finished at 9.30am which is clearly stated. I don't feel this review is fair. Also, is there any need to mention about my wife being oriental?

Reviewed July 16, 2012

Stayed one night - it's unusual for cumbrian B&B's to allow this as other reviewers have mentioned - and we were very impressed during our stay. The location and views from High Grassings are lovely and the owner very friendly. We booked the garden room not actually realising it was a seperate lodge in a secluded spot within the grounds. It was a lovely surprise and we really liked it. It was spacious, quiet and cosy with it's own veranda/seating area - best enjoyed with a bottle of wine (BYO)! Breakfast is taken in the main house in a conservatory dining room with fab views and pancakes or smoked salmon/scrambled eggs are offered as well as the usual full english breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Beerski
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawkshead
Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection
#12 of 23 in Hawkshead
Ivy Guest House
Ivy Guest House
#3 of 23 in Hawkshead

Been to High Grassings Country House? Share your experiences!