“Great restaurant” 5 of 5 bubbles

Jumble Room
Ranked #4 of 44 Restaurants in Grasmere
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: The Jumble Room in Grasmere is now in its 20th year and from very humble beginnings their ethos has remained the same...Take the very best local and where possible organic ingredients and cook them with love and care.. Our small colourful little restaurant in Grasmere has become internationally renowned, not for pomp and circumstance but for a place to relax and forget our mad and hectic lifestyles...to escape....switch off... if only for a little while.... and leave with the light glowing a little brighter! It is said of the jumble room that it has soul, a small bohemian style restaurant, casual, honest, restorative and uncompromising in the pursuit of quality Prepared with love and served with pride!
kent
“Great restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

Great restaurant food was fantastic service great, restaurant quite quirky, not the cheapest of places but when you have the service and the great food you don't mind paying more.

lincolnshire
“far below expectations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

Having read the reports on tripadvisor and having visited many years ago, we dined at this so called quirky restaurant while staying in Grasmere, the food was distinctly average, i have never seen fish so badly presented, the only passable courses were the sweets, they were very good. The service was good, but the meal was vastly overpriced for the quality received.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank tony w
Andrew H, Owner at Jumble Room, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
“Elvis” the king of rock and roll, I love Elvis not always necessarily for everything he produced but mainly for his love and passion in everything he did. and although some of his films left me cold in the way they we’re presented I never felt the need to write to him about it or even tell the world about it, because I believed what he was doing he was doing to the best of his ability and so I never questioned it.
I just looked at what was on offer and chose the music that I wanted to listen to.
I was talking to Em this morning about it, Em’s my daughter she’s always a good sounding board when things upset me, daughters are great they just listen to good old Dad and say all the right things to make it all better, that’s Em.
Em’s the next generation I suppose of our family to be on Langdale road, our little corner of Grasmere, infact the road had no name as it was just a pathway past the houses and Bakers rest as its now called was the bakery where my wife was born 2 doors up from the jumble room and it was Joan her mum who named the road.
That being over fifty years ago now, the bakery has long since gone, along with the ironmonger, the butcher, the cobbler (and possibly the candlestick maker!!) driven out by the costs and overheads and the supermarket kings of the world it eventually became to difficult to compete.
I hope it isn’t the future for hotels and restaurants……
Because as you’ve heard me say, Em is to be the next generation on langdale road and she comes with fresh vim and vigor, she’s been in the jumble room from being a tot in a banana box in the kitchen at the age of 1 whilst we prepared for the restaurant, and has been wash up over the past few years in her summer holidays and now is I think ready for a little more involvement, I do hope you get to meet her she’ll brighten your day as she does mine with love and care for our wonderful visitors. I can’t wait!
Infact there are many changes afoot in the Jumble Room over the next few months and I hope you’ll come back to give us a try.
As for Elvis, ultimately people like Elvis eventually get eaten by their own passion, it’s a terrible thing to be a warm loving soul that just wants people to have a nice time and create beauty, be it with your voice or with a pan or a kind word and good service, but I believe its in the giving that is the true reward and I shall not be swayed in that opinion.
Sale, United Kingdom
“Relaxed Dining, Quirky Decor, Ambient Blues, Great Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

We have often gone past the Jumble Room walking back from Easedale Tarn but thought it was more of a cafe. This time as we were staying in Grasmere and had read the reviews on TripAdvisor we decided to visit. We received a good welcome and were shown upstairs to a homely but quirky dining room. The young man who served us throughout was friendly but unobtrusive. We started with a share of one of the nibbles - cod mousse with shrimps on top and was a wonderful appetiser. 2 slices of brown bread with sun dried tomatoes and 2 plain white bread arrived - delicious. Linda had the Suppli al Telefono which was little risotto cakes of buffalo mozzarella with a pesto salad and a mixed salad. Different but tasty. I had slices of Gressingham duck, melon, relish and feta. Unusual combination but appeared to work. Linda had the grand sounding Emperor Choo Chees Royal Curry which was a Thai curry basically of chicken and prawns. OK was the verdict. Good attempt but probably not as good as in a Thai restaurant. I had the Lamb Koftas which was an eclectic mix of minced lamb, rose flavoured cous cous, rack of lamb, aubergine and raita. Excellent....we had a reasonably priced Sauvignon Blanc with the meal and finished with coffees. The dessert menu looked fab but we resisted. Service was very well paced and it was a nice relaxed meal. Subtle blues music in the background completed the picture. At around £90 it was quite expensive for 2 courses plus wine and coffee but the food was good and it was an enjoyable relaxed evening. Definitely go back

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Kizzy192
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Quirky dining, good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

We went to the Jumble Room for a second visit as the first had been so good. One of the meals we had was less good this time but overall we would still go again.
Comfortable seating, the upstairs feels less busy than downstairs and is quieter.

London and Coniston
“Extremely Poor Value For Money. Overpriced for Average Fare.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

Before I begin this review, I would like to state 2 things:

1. I love good food. I don't very much care if I am eating it in an independent cafe on the suburbs of Newcastle serving builders or in a Michelin starred restaurant in Central London.

2. I love the Lake District. I think the area produces some of the best, locally produced, organic food in this country, it is a privilege to own a home here and be able to sample the culinary delights of this regions year after year.

Having heard my partner raving about this restaurant for years ( since he once visited with his parents years ago when he lived in the area), and having read the excellent reviews, we tried our luck and managed to get a table quite last minute at 8.45pm. We were delighted that they could fit us in given I had read it was quite a small place. The South African waiter was just lovely being very warm and friendly. The place was packed with people seemingly enjoying the selves and almost every table had a bottle of wine. We settled in looking forward to some good food.

1. The starters arrived. We both ordered kedgeree cake. What a lovely idea for a starter. When it arrived, it was tasty. Fresh mango as well as mango chutney on the side. A beautifully cooked kedgeree cake with a perfectly cooked soft boiled egg on top. It could have perhaps done with a squeeze of fresh lime and some fresh coriander to really make it spectacular but good nonetheless.

2. Main was Hyderabad chicken and my partner had meatballs and pasta. My chicken was dry and nothing special. For £20.50 I was expecting at the minimum a moist chicken. The pasta was ok and the meatballs were ok. Again nothing special and for £16.50 for pasta dish it should have been amazing.

3. We waited a very, very long time between starters and main to the point where we had to ask the lovely waiter when we could expect it. No one came to explain why it was taking so long or even apologised when I asked how long it would take.

4. For such a small venue, I was expecting a cosy, warm place but it was freezing. I understand that we are not having the best of weather right now but quite a few people were sitting with their coats and scarves on. Surely some sort of heating solution could have been arranged.

The whole bill came to £66 for an average 2 course meal with 2 glasses of red wine in a cold venue where the food took absolutely ages. We declined the opportunity for dessert (even though the raspberry and white chocolate cheesecake being consumed by the lady next to us looked delicious), because by that time we were tired of waiting for food. We noticed that the couple next to us had to wait an awful long time between main and dessert and having already spent 1 hour 45 minutes for 2 courses we didn't want to wait 50 minutes for coffee and dessert.

Perhaps we just caught them when they having a busy evening or maybe we were just unlucky with the average main course on that particular evening. However, we left feeling ripped off and disappointed that the food and experience did not live up to its reviews. This was a real shame as I have not had a bad experience in this area for years and it lowers the reputation of the otherwise excellent culinary delights served in this area. In summary, mediocre mains costed at over London prices and served extremely slowly in a cold venue. Best thing about the place was the friendly, South African waiter.

I would recommend giving this place a miss and heading over to the best kept secret in Broughton Mills - the excellent Blacksmith Arms for a real value for money Cumbrian foodie experience.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank Deepyk
Andrew H, Owner at Jumble Room, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Before I begin this reply I would also like to say a few things
1. I grew up in Coniston
2. I went to school there
3. My first real snog was with Fiona on the cricket field
4. I had my first pint in the black bull in Coniston
5. My Dad was the vicar of Coniston
6. The first rock band I was in was from Coniston
But it doesn’t give me any more rights than anyone else, and it doesn’t make me feel the need to deride kind hearted fellow human beings.
I also love the lakes with all my heart its my home, the place I was born and raised and the place I love to be….. and I love to share it with all and everyone.
As for the Blacksmiths it’s a pub….its different to us…and I’m sure they also try really hard to make things great for all there customers as I do ….and isn’t it great we have the choice, our loss I’m sure is the blacksmiths gain.