“Excellent bed and shower”

Heidi's Grasmere Lodge
Ranked #4 of 20 Grasmere B&B and Inns
Wellington, New Zealand
“Excellent bed and shower”
Reviewed August 11, 2009

I enjoyed my stay at the Harwood Hotel because the bed was great (excellent mattress and wonderful cotton sheets) and the shower was perfect. I was rather apprehensive after I got an email (after paying 50% of the considerable total sum as a non refundable deposit!) which stipulated that check in was strictly before 6 or an extra 10 GBP would have to paid. I replied that I was paying 115/night (why does the Tripadvisor page have GBP40?) for five nights, and that I expected someone to be there, at no extra cost. At that price I would have expected staff to be on duty. So there was someone there who was friendly and courteous, which was nice, and I made it in just before 6 anyway. I stayed in room 5 which is really a single room, with a bed which could accommodate either two children or 1 adult comfortably, and banged my head a couple of times on the low ceilings. The bathroom was great: clean, modern, brilliant shower, well equipped. Everything was spotless. I never saw the owner but managed to organize something with one of the staff to have a continental breakfast at 8:30 (so I could make my 9 am conference sessions), foregoing the full breakfast which was, rather rigidly I think, served at 8:45. Breakfast was ok, nothing special. I would recommend this hotel for its comfort and cleanliness, but, in my experience, not for its atmosphere.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
harwoodhotel, owner at Heidi's Grasmere Lodge, responded to this review, August 19, 2009
many thanks for your comments. this room is as described - a small, cosy room with double bed.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
UK
Reviewed August 10, 2009

I recently decided to "pop the question" to my gorgeous girlfriend. As you can imagine, I wanted to find somewhere romantic and special where we could return for years to come (so long as i got the answer i was looking for).....! Having spent some time researching, and on the basis of the reviews on tripadvisor, i decided to give the Harwood a call and from moment one i knew this was the place, and it truly lived up at and exceeded expectations.

First of all, before we had even arrived, Heidi, the hotels owner, was so helpful and accomodating I cannot thank her enough. She arranged everything from flowers and champagne to be placed in the room upon our return from a picnic during which I had planned to ask the all important question, to the heart shaped tubs of marmite on the breakfast table (my now fiancee cant cope without her marmite on toast)!!

The hotel staff, who had all been made aware of my plans were wonderfully discreet as to not give the game away and it was not until we arrived in a the local (and wonderful) italian restaurant in the evening, and visual confirmation that she was wearing the ring was made, that we were approached by Heidi (who had recommended and made the booking) and the restaurant staff to offer their congratulations. It was such a friendly and personal setting that Heidi had arranged, and I am very grateful indeed.

We stayed in Room 1, and as someone who spends many nights in hotels, this was really something special. It was beautifully decorated, so much so that I had to prize my wife-to-be out without her trying to take the furniture with her. Its more like staying in the spare room of your best friends country cottage than in a hotel, and the friendly staff add to that feel. We are also looking into putting a TV in our bathroom as watching saturday night TV whilst soaking in the bath is a new found luxury I cannot live without now!
As it happened, due to the Lake District weather (which i did ask but Heidi couldnt arrange) my plans for the proposal over the picnic had to be quickly rethought, but the room was so beautiful and romantic, that it made the perfect setting.

Breakfast was - and this is coming from a big fella that likes a hearty feed - TREMENDOUS! A fry up to match any!

I personally cannot recomend Heidi's lovely hotel, especially you fella's thinking of proposing!!!

A thousand thanks to Heidi and her team for making the weekend so very special - and we'll be seeing you next year!!

G&D

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
we are thrilled for you both and look forward to seeing you again.
Liverpool
Reviewed August 8, 2009

We have just returned from Grasmere after spending two nights at The Harwood Hotel. We had a perfect time and our whole stay cannot be faulted. We were greeted on arrival by Heidi (the owner) who was so friendly and helpful. Our room (Room 3) was beautifully decorated and the en-suite bathroom had an amazing jacuzzi bath with T.V. etc. As it was our anniversary there was a note and heart-shaped chocolates on the bed. The breakfasts were huge and delicious, all served by friendly staff. We are already saving up to go back again and would recommend it to anyone looking for a romantic, relaxing break in Grasmere.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
thank you for your feedback. we are looking forward to your return.
London
Reviewed June 18, 2009

I recently stayed at the Harwood and sadly, my experience did not mirror that of the previous reviewers.

Reviews speak about how friendly the staff and the owner Heidi are. However, with the exception of one member of staff, my partner and I received little more than cursory nods, or very brusque hellos from the other staff and on other occasions they ignored us altogether. We got the impression that they were there to run the cafe rather than the ‘bed and breakfast hotel’ and that we were simply an inconvenience. Particularly surprising was Heidi herself. She did not talk to us once. When we were leaving, she even came up and spoke to the woman who was dealing with our checking out, but said nothing to us (at least I think it was Heidi, I hadn’t been introduced, so I’m not sure!). Obviously, we didn’t talk to her either, but surely the onus is on the owner to make themselves known to the guests and not vice versa.

In addition to the staff, there were several other issues:

· When we arrived at 5.30 p.m. both doors were locked and we had to wait to be let in.
· The music from the cafe is very loud in Room1. This is because the speakers are in the ceiling. When I booked the room, I explained that the purpose of our visit was for me to go out walking while my partner stayed in and worked on her college thesis. Therefore, Heidi was aware at the time of booking that my partner would be in the room most of the day and she still recommended Room 1. On the Saturday, the music became so loud that my partner had to go downstairs and ask for the music to be turned down (she has hearing difficulties, so it really must have been quite loud). It was turned down, but was still loud enough to be heard clearly in the room. On the Sunday, the same happened again, but this time it was even louder. I really would not expect loud music to be a problem in a place that describes itself on its web site as “a most idyllic retreat” and “a little piece of heaven” (Why it is necessary to play loud music in a Grasmere cafe anyway? Once when we walked past, there were two older people sitting in their struggling to make themselves heard over some heavy rock, but that’s another matter!).
· Additionally to the above, when my partner stayed in working on the Saturday (which was a very wet and cold day) she became very cold by about 11 a.m. and realised that the heating had been turned off. It did come on again in the afternoon, but again, this is not something I would expect in a place advertising “unrivalled luxury”.
· On Saturday evening, we decided to go and sit in the lounge before going out, but when we went down stairs, the lounge had a number of boxes of supplies in it and was not particularly inviting and was certainly not somewhere I would “enjoy champagne, local ales, or just a coffee”. Even if I had wanted to, there was no one there to offer us these and nobody had told us how to order them if we had wanted to. The same happened on the Sunday, but instead of being full of boxes, there were a couple of the staff in the room eating their dinner from plates on their laps.
· On the Sunday my partner met a couple of friends in the cafe and stayed there for a while having coffees and cakes. The friends offered to treat her, paid and left. On the Monday breakfast, one of the staff came over and said that they had realised after my partner and her friends had left that they had been undercharged and could we pay the outstanding amount. This put us in an awkward situation and we had no option other than pay.

On their own, each of the above might not sound particularly important, but taken as a whole, along with other small things (why leave chocolates in the room on the second night, but not on the first and third, were they forgotten, had we done something wrong?) they add up to being an issue and they did impact on our enjoyment of our holiday.

If the Harwood was a run of the mill B&B charging say £200 for two people for three nights, then this might be acceptable, but it is not. It advertises itself as “some of the most luxurious accommodation for couples in Cumbria” and charges accordingly. We were charged £375 for our three nights stay, which included a discount. The advertised rate was £495.

When I raised these points with Heidi by email (I phoned three times, but got the answer phone every time), she responded by email (she didn’t bother to phone me) that, while she was sorry we hadn’t enjoyed our stay and that she would be investigating my points with her colleagues, £125 per night in Grasmere, in June, is 'very competitive'. Additionally, she pointed out that my comments were “in stark contrast to all our previous reviews”.

I should point out that the room was lovely and was, apart from the noise, as described on the web site. However, if you want to pay £165 a night for a nice room above a cafe, that is what you will get at the Harwood. If you want a small boutique hotel, go somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Spurs321
i am rather baffled by this one. On leaving, these guests said they had had a lovely time and would definitely stay again. Strange .......
lancaster
Reviewed June 17, 2009

Our 1st Trip to the Harwood was a fantastic experience. Stayed for 2 nights in Room 3 which has the most Amazing Bathroom- enjoy a jaccuzi with underwater lighting. The bath also turns into a steam room. I've never spent so long in the bath! Heidi was very helpful recomending &booking restaurants for us and her staff were friendly & gave us great service. I have recomended the Harwood (especially Room3) to all my friends & will definately be making another visit.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
harwoodhotel, owner at Heidi's Grasmere Lodge, responded to this review, September 9, 2009
thanks for your kind comments. we look forward to welcoming you back.