“Fabulous B&B in the centre of the village”
Review of Moss Grove Organic

Moss Grove Organic
Ranked #6 of 20 Grasmere B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We loved it here. We had Room 8 which was on the top floor and lovely and quiet. It had been a hot day and the room was stuffy. We asked for extra fans and it was no problem. The bathroom was enormous, with lovely toiletries and towelling.

We were looking forward to breakfast however we had to leave unexpectedly before breakfast was served. The staff could not have been more helpful with our early departure.

Will definately return there soon.

Room Tip: Room 8 is lovely and quiet with a bath and separate drench shower.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 29, 2013

We only stayed one night but it was really nice, people were very helpful. The room was nice and clean, its was great to use the spa bath. A nice change to have fair trade coffee in the room. The Moss Grove is central for all the shops. Although The Moss Grove only serve breakfast the restaurants were within walking distance. The breakfast was really nice with organic and locally sourced food. A really pleasant stay and will be staying again in the future.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We were looking for a relaxing place to stay for 5 nights in Grasmere and this was a great choice. We stayed in one of the smaller rooms (because we booked too late to get a larger one) but it was very nice and the bathroom was enormous. We had researched the options carefully and knew this would be a good fit for us. We slept well and enjoyed the breakfasts with the freshly baked bread and variety of jams, yummy sausage, boiled eggs, fresh fruit, etc. And it was great to have a good wifi signal. I agree with an earlier comment that it would be nice if they started serving breakfast a little earlier, perhaps opening the buffet at 8am and adding the sausage and croissants when they are ready? I also agree that it would be nice if they left two packages of biscuits in the room (with the fixings for tea and coffee) rather than one package with two biscuits. But we wouldn't hesitate to stay here again! The staff was very helpful. And Grasmere was well-located for walking and driving throughout the Lake District.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Hi, Moss Grove do claim all over their website that they are a hotel. It is not, it is a B&B. How can their management argue that they do not claim to be a hotel. When you google moss grove, the results show hotel, the home page says it is a hotel. Please moss grove stop deceiving people. You are an overpriced B&B not a hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Steve G
Reviewed July 16, 2013

This was our second stay at Moss Grove Organic, and we once again found it a real treat to stay in this lovely guest accommodation. This time we chose a Superior room, and had a lovely room at the front overlooking the village. On both occasions we have found our bed to be very comfortable, and this time we were given the huge bed with the 4 posts sticking up, which we thought was amazing ! Moss Grove is also very eco-friendly which is a plus for us, and we liked the idea our huge bed had been made from re-claimed timber.
We love the Organic buffet breakfast, where you can help yourself to as much as you like, and either take it on a tray in to the lounge/dining area, or you can take it back to your room if you prefer, my husband is particularly fond of the Cumberland sausage, and goes back for second helpings !
The bedrooms are spotlessly clean, and we find the spa bath a joy to soak in after a day climbing the hills ! It's also nice to be able to borrow films from the DVD library, and watch them on the entertainment system provided.
The staff are very friendly, and will go out of their way to help you plan walks, and assist with dining arrangements in the local restaurants, which are all easy walking distance. We recommend you try the Jumble Room restaurant at least once, as the food there is first class.
We can't recommend Moss Grove enough, and will certainly be coming back for another relaxing break here again soon.

Room Tip: Room 3 has the huge bed !
1  Thank Sheila C
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The main problem with this establishment is that it is selling itself as a five star hotel. It is not, It is a B&B - aqreed a superior one, but still very over-priced. With a 5 star hotel I wanted, room service, a room with a fridge, air conditioning, a restuarant, a cooked breakfast with private table, plenty of parking, and preferably some grounds to sit or wander in in the evening.

This is a B&B - no room service, no fridge, no staff after 9pm, no restaurant, buffet breakfast in what feels like someone's kitchen (everyone getting in everyone's way), with a single long table you have to share to eat it, very restricted cramped parking, no grounds, and no air conditioning - room was stifling, and a cheap electric fan did not help much. TV rather old and limited in channels. No fresh water, use the tap - well run it for 10 minutes first because the water is warm. This was def not the 5 star experience I was after.

The breakfast was a bit strange, with items more appropriate for dinner than breakfast. They only start serving at 8.30 ! which is very late if you want a good start on the day. I've never had breakfast served so late. I think the organic thing is a novelty ploy - to be honest I would have swapped the lot for a normal 5 star hotel.

On the plus side a good sized bed, with nice sheets, and a fabulous large bathroom. My room had sloping ceilings so restricting the usable size, and making me nervous about banging my head. It was two flights up steep steps which I also did not like. Staff were friendly and helpful - the limited time they were there.

As a general feeling, the place feels impersonal, without much charm, and its over-priced tariff making me irritated at all I was not getting - especially when opposite there is a hotel Dale Lodge with a great restuarant which looked exactly like what I had hoped for. Ironically the main PR shot of Moss Grove has clearly been taken from inside their grounds, making it look more spacious. It is not, it is on a main road, with as I said limited parking. My room was very hot and stuffy, and I would have to say it was not a comfortable stay, and I would not return. If you are given one of the other rooms you might have a better experience.

But at the end of the day it is five star hotel prices for a B&B experience, so not good value for money. I only wish I had read Trip Advisor before I booked the hotel, rther than after, because if I had I would have booked an actual hotel - which was what I was after.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank sandra w
mossgrove5, Front Office Manager at Moss Grove Organic, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

I am not sure how you made your reservation to find that we are advertising as a 5 star hotel. As we wholly agree with you that we are not a hotel we are 5 star 'Guest Accommodation'. We advertise Moss Grove Organic as true to what we provide on our website. It seems that we were not what you had anticipated and can only apologise the number of points you mention as expecting, we don't provide however I am not aware we are advertising as such.

In this unusual hot weather we are having we are trying to keep Moss Grove as cool as possible in what is a very well insulated building.

All of our staff strive to ensure our guests have a relaxing and pleasant stay and I am very glad to hear that you found the staff to be helpful.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

We can endorse the review 'A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing'
We have just returned from a 2 night stay at this place. It most certainly is not a hotel but a glorified, 'hyped-up' Bed and Breakfast. Its award of 5 stars is laughable and certainly not justified. The bedroom was clean and the quality of the towels and bedding excellent. The bathroom large, but the praise must stop there. A dull, dismal room. No bottles of water provided, no bathrobes or slippers as you would expect to find in a superior room in a 5 star establishment. No fridge which again is usually a standard feature in a superior establishment. The purpose of our short stay was for a relaxing break to recover from major surgery. The bed in the room was a joke as it was so high it was impossible for me to get onto it. I pointed this out to the manager who suggested he get me a chair to use to step up!! (health & safety springs to mind)
Breakfast was served from 8.30am which I consider to be much too late. To be fair I can understand why some people might like the rather unusual offerings, which were served from the work surfaces of a small kitchen. I found an unappetising fruit salad, pieces of brown bread with a bit of cheese and tomato on it and filo pastry party food unacceptable and unhygienic. The idea I had to carry this through to eat it on a small table overlooking a car park was not my idea of 5 star quality.
The car park is not adequate.There is no outside space at all. Thank goodness for the beautiful hotel next door where we could go for a drink and relax in their exquisite grounds.

Room Tip: Go to the hotel next door!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Firstly I would like to note that following surgery I am very sorry you found the bed an inconvenience being one of our special feature 4 poster beds.

We are 5 star guest accommodation not a hotel. We aim to provide our guests the very best in comfort and relaxation, as many of our satisfied guests put it; 'a home from home'. Having use of our country style kitchen during your stay to refrigerate or freeze any food and drink. I can only apologise that our accommodation was not for you on this occasion.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
The Inn at Grasmere
#5 of 14 in Grasmere
Macdonald Swan Hotel
Macdonald Swan Hotel
#10 of 14 in Grasmere

Been to Moss Grove Organic? Share your experiences!