“great weekend”

YHA Grasmere Butharlyp Howe
Leominster, United Kingdom
“great weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

just had a weekend in Grasmere and stayed at the yha. Room was comfortable and the bed was clean and comfey.
The breakfasts were excellent and the yha is in the perfect spot just a short walk down into the town.
For just £28 per nigh B&B it was a bargain.
Highly recommended

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Korean first
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

I had been forced by bad weather and poor visibility into camping in the mountains above Grasmere. So I arrived at the YHA in a very bedraggled state on a Sunday morning. The Under Manager Ean got me tea and toast and helped me with my mound of wet clothing and equipment - he could not have been kinder.
The YHA is in a large attractive house and the accomodation was excellent. The evening meal that I chose from the menu was delicious. There was a large party of school girls there and I was very impressed at how the Kitchen Staff coped with energy and good humour wnen serving them.
I left the the next morning after a good breakfast a new man.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Rodney T
VICTORIA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

During our stay of two nights, we were given a double room which had its own private toilet, an unexpected and most welcome bonus. The showers in the hall were numerous and very clean. When we asked for towels, we were given them without charge (unlike the previous hostel). The self-catering kitchen was well-equipped, well-organized and tidy. What we appreciated most, however, was the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff, in particular, Ian, the deputy manager. He offered us advice, suggestions and even photocopied information about sights and walks in the area for us. We were even allowed to use the self-catering kitchen for lunch after we checked out which we most appreciated. Service above and beyond expectations. Very impressed.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
West Midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

I have recently visited this hostel for the second time, with a large group of school children, and find YHA Grasmere to be a lovely place to stay. The staff are welcoming and knowledgable about the local area and the rooms are clean and comfortable. I only ate food from the school group menu, so can't comment on the other food available for independent guests, but it looked tremendous! The location is great: just a stone's throw from Grasmere and some lovely walks.

Thanks to everyone for a great stay. I fully intend to come back sometime without 48 11-year-olds in tow!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

I have been to a few hostels in the past but I was impressed by YHA. I had a really good time and a comfortable stay even though it was a 8person dorm. It was in a very convenient location. Needless to say it is somewhere I would recommend to friends.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

An attractive and safe place to stay. Clean and well run. The smartest YH that I stayed in on the Coast to Coast.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Helegant
Preston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

I stayed at this hostel with 3 friends on a walking weekend. First things first. The hostel is in an amazing location, bang in the centre on the Lake District in the famous Grasmere. The rooms were clean, the showers were clean and was what I expected from a hostel.

We did have some big problems checking in though. The gentleman on reception was pleasant to begin with however upon producing the booking confirmation which we printed from the confirmation email we were told that it was incorrect? The gentleman then would not let us in until we had paid the remaining amount according to HIS calculations. Remember, this was confirmed on an email when booking. Due to the fact we were a long way from home we had no choice but to pay, I suspect he knew this.

Another problem with the same gentleman but this was checking out. We paid for 4 breakfasts on the Sunday morning and a lady staff member took payment and placed it in the till but when ceckling out the gentleman asked for this payment again! We argued with him for a good while until we were effectivelytold to leave the hostel and never come back!

I don't know what YHA are doing employing people like him but I hope they take notice of the complaint and take action.

My advice to anyone staying here is to enjoy the facilities and location and the food but be wary of this staff member. He has a Liverpudlian accent.

Please remember to get a receipt if handing money over the counter there.

• Stayed May 2012
4 Thank Splintaay
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa
#4 of 9 in Coniston
YHA Ambleside
YHA Ambleside
#1 of 23 in Ambleside

Been to YHA Grasmere Butharlyp Howe? Share your experiences!