“Perfect, one of the best hotels in the Lake District”

Macdonald Swan Hotel
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
GreenLeadersBronze level
Manchester
“Perfect, one of the best hotels in the Lake District”
Reviewed April 4, 2010

After years of having a painting of this hotel in my parents house and having never visited due to the impression that it was too expensive; I decided to treat my parents to a no expense spared weekend away fore their 50th and 60th birthdays. I booked the trip while I was working away in America, and therefore due to booking it on an American website and in dollars, I couldn't tell you how much I paid.

However as an extra surprise, I asked my aunt and uncle to come along to surprise them at the hotel. They paid approximatly £50 for the room for the night which was a special offer, which was a lot less than I expected for a hotel of this standard, and most hotels in the area cost around £100, and this was was in August too!

As soon as we arrived, I explained to the staff that my aunt and uncle were coming as a surprise, and they handled everything wonderfully, and were very subtle. Myself and my parents went on a walk, while my aunt and uncle checked it, and the staff explained where we were and helped them set up the surprise. Upon coming back to the hotel from our walk; my aunt and uncle were sat at the entrance of the hotel with celebratatory drinks. It couldn't of been more perfect.

The hotel was fantastic; it is a short walk from the centre of grasmere, and is a beautiful country hotel with beautiful gardens, perfect for some summer day drinks. It is so peaceful and you can't hear a sound from the hotel. One of my rooms was upgraded to a suite, and was beautiful; I gave that one to my parents due to being their birthdays. But even my standard room was beyond average. It was warm, roomy, and perfect for a wekeend away.

We walked down to the Travellers Rest Hotel for dinner and played some pool and had some drinks, and had a fun walk back at midnight. A great weekend.

The staff were so friendly, and we realise now that it is not expensive, and that it is great value for money. It is truely one of the best hotels in the Lake District.

I wanted to stay there again on a recent stay but unfortunatly was full up being Easter holidays. But would always recommend staying here.

• Stayed August 2009
1 Thank daveyh87

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2010

We've been going to eat and to stay at the Swan for almost 50 years. The ownership may have changed several times, but the hotel still has an appeal that calls us and many regulars back, time after time.

The present management and staff could not be bettered, and the food is just plain delicious, so it's like going to your own country house every time you enter the door.

We would rate the value higher, but the drinks are rather pricey.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Lancashire
Reviewed March 30, 2010

Recently stayed at the MacDonald Swan Hotel Grasmere having booked a best available double room some month's earlier. We were lucky enough to get upgraded to probably to the best room in the hotel "Silver How". This gave views over the village onto Silver How panning around to Easdale, Helm Crag and Steel Fell. The room itself was very well appointed with all essentials down to basics like kettle, iron, ironing board, trouser press etc. The room had lovely period fireplace, four poster bed, comfortable arm chairs with annex to wardrobes and large bathroom to good standard. Best bit was the bed, incredibly comfortable with luxurious drapes and curtains of high quality. Also to note and most importantly in these modern times where some hotel chains have a room service down to seven minutes. The room was actually cleaned and serviced to a very high standard daily with absolutely no need to ask for anything.
Getting back to the rustic charm old world beams and real ales in the bar with spacious lounges period style lots of comfortable seating and character to the place.
Now to the serious bit the food, obviously optimised a well constructed menu to cater for most tastes, definitely mine. The 21 day cured Scottish beef swung it for me. Seriously fine dining at affordable prices when considering DBBB option. The food was too high quality, very well presented and to top resturant standards.
Most notably the sincerity and quality of the staff was the pinnacle, particularly the manager who's influence politeness and attention to detail filtered down to the rest of the staff.
Very enjoyable stay,

Mr B.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Bolton
Reviewed March 30, 2010

We stayed at the Swan for two nights last weekend. We were a little unsure as to what we would find as we had read the reviews on TripAdvisor and were a little put off; however, how wrong we were. We had standard rooms, which were very comfortable with a good sized bathroom. The rooms are in need of general updating but everything was clean and in good working order. The public areas on the ground floor are very comfortable and welcoming, in fact it was very hard to leave the log fire to brave the inclement weather outside! The food was very good with a goof choice. The staff, especially Paul, the manager, the young man from Wigan and the cheery young receptionist were great. We had very funny chats with the Wiganer and Paul as we are from around the same area in the North. What a great sense of humour they both have. I can only speak about the rooms we stayed in but I would heartily recommend the hotel for its old world charm. its convenience to the Lakes' attractions and its very welcomming staff.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
STOCKTON ON TEES
Reviewed March 24, 2010

Having used Macdonalds Hotels and resorts over the past decade the the wife and I were both bemused at how the standard of accomadation is allowed to exist at The Swan Hotel Grasmere,all evidence suggests that the infrastructure is struggling to cope.
On more the one occasion we witnessed a member of staff being berated by his superior and soon after patronised,this practice is best achieved in private and not in view of paying guests,I believe patience was tested when too often menial requests and orders via the chain of command were misunderstood or ignored.The room standard was quite frankly horrible cracked bathroom tiles on walls ,loose and insecure floor tiles
Come on Macdonalds send your P R advisor to do a site survey/assesment.

Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Cambridge,England
Reviewed February 27, 2010

We returned to the Swan after quite a few years to celebrate our anniversary. We had booked a feature room but were a little bit disappointed not to find the complimentary sherry waiting, as promised on the website. Whenever we had stayed in the hotel previously there had always been a decanter of sherry and some local gingerbread in the room, which was a nice touch. We do not usually drink sherry but had been looking forward to this anyway! We raised the issue with reception and we were told that the practice had stopped years ago and they were unaware of the information on the website.
Our room was very clean, a good size, nicely decorated and with a really comfortable four poster bed. It was a bit on the chilly side with inferior secondary double glazing and windows that really needed some attention. The windows could also have benefitted from net curtains as on more than one occasion we found ourselves looking into the eyes of passengers on double decker busses waiting at the road junction outside the hotel!
There were a few problems with the dining. The meals were very nice but unlike my husband, I did find the menu limiting in that it did not alter during our three night stay, no daily specials and even the soup of the day was repeated. On the first night I had asked for a really, really well done steak which was noted and highlighted by the waiter on the order. Unfortunately when it arrived it was the opposite with blood oozing from it. It was taken away and a new steak prepared, but my husband’s meal was not, hence we ended up eating our meals individually. I am not a particularly picky eater but on our last night, with nothing to choose from the menu, I asked for the chef to prepare me an alternative. This he did, and it was delicious.
On our anniversary we had breakfast in the room which was excellent although we had to ask for cutlery and condiments to be brought in.
Breakfast in the dining room was also excellent, with a good choice of fresh fruits, pastries and cereals and the cooked breakfast was delicious. However, on our last day, we requested a second pot of coffee but we knew it would never arrive.
We had the impression that there was no co-ordination of the waiting staff who were all very pleasant and working very hard, although they appeared to be stressed at times. There were long delays with the wine each night. We had to repeatedly enquire about it, and invariably it arrived as we were finishing our main course. It was mildly amusing to discover that on one night the couple on the table behind us had been repeatedly given a finger bowl which had been intended for my husband, resulting in a minor altercation between the waiting staff.
Apart from these minor problems we thoroughly enjoyed our stay in the Swan and do plan to return again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tedmo
morecambe
Reviewed February 13, 2010

Stayed 2 nights and was really impressed by the location friendleness of the staff and the quality of the food.Great place to unwind and dog friendly to, bedroom a good size and large comfortable bed.
All in all a really pleasent and enjoyable break, well done and thanks.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
The Inn at Grasmere
The Wordsworth Hotel
#8 of 14 in Grasmere
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,163 reviews
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#9 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,808 reviews
Rothay Garden Hotel
Rothay Garden Hotel
#5 of 14 in Grasmere
Macdonald Leeming House, Ullswater

Been to Macdonald Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!