“Cozy Inn with Great Service”

Macdonald Swan Hotel
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
GreenLeadersBronze level
kansas
“Cozy Inn with Great Service”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Even on a business trip it's always nice to have one off the beaten path stay. And for an American this place had lots of character, a warm welcome and friendly staff. We also booked the winter break special from the McDonald Hotels website with 10.00 credit. What a fantastic offer. Breakfast was delicious and we had dinner in the bar each night. Our room was clean and comfortable with a most beautiful view. After spending several rainy days touring there was a warm welcoming fire and sitting area. It was the perfect way to end an overseas business trip. Now if only we could return during a warmer (yet not crowded) time of year. I would recommend The Swan and Grasmere as a destination for all my friends and family. Thank you for making us feel at home.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the front would be better for those who may not be able to walk far. Our room was a...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
gmswangrasmere, General Manager at Macdonald Swan Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Good Afternoon

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent stay at the Macdonald Swan Hotel, Grasmere. We here at the hotel appreciate all our reviews whether they are positive or constructive and share them with the whole of the team on a regular basis.

We are delighted to hear that our friends from the USA loved our cosy Inn and we all agree with you it is a cosy Inn and one of the best places to stay especially after a long and gruelling walk in the fells.
We are also happy to hear that you love the food and staff and appreciate telling your friends about us.

Jason Moore

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Hyde, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We booked two rooms dinner bed and breakfast online for ourselves and our friends for my birthday. Food was really excellent and the room was really lovely with a view over the fells at the side. There was a birthday card and a box of chocolates waiting in the room too. The staff were all lovely. We will be back

Good Afternoon

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent stay at the Macdonald Swan Hotel, Grasmere. We here at the hotel we appreciate all our reviews whether they are positive or constructive and we share them with the whole of the team on a regular basis.

We are really pleased to hear that you and your friends had a great time celebrating your birthday and you enjoyed the wonderful views from your room and the card and chocolates went down well.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2014

My husband and I have stayed at the Swan a couple of times before and always found it to be a lovely place to rest and take in the views. The room (No.9) was at the front of the hotel and the views were beautiful. The room was spotlessly clean and the shower was massive. (Fit for two in fact), There was a four poster bed and it was really firm and supportive after a long day walking. I did want to have a bath but the plug was stuck so I informed reception and they said they would deal with it, So if you stay in this room the plug should now be working. As I have every confidence in the hotel to put this right,
The evenings were spent by the log fire and this made the hotel warm and cosy (it was pouring down with rain and windy outside) so it made it even cosier!
We stayed for dinner, bed and breakfast over two days and I alerted the waiter that I was a Coeliac (no gluten) . On the first night I ordered the soup which was butternut squash, which was creamy and tasty with a little bit of spiciness to it. I told the waiter that I could not have bread as it contained gluten. Part way through eating the soup the waiter came over with a toasted slice of bread and said that I could have it with my soup as it was gluten free. I thanked him and proceeded to eat it. Big mistake, Two days of severe stomach cramps followed. I know it was the bread as I had steak chips and vegetables for my main course and none of these had gluten in them.
The second evening we again dined in the restaurant and I decided to have the pork and chips with no sauces or anything else that may have been in contact with flour, When I received my main course (I skipped the starter!) the pork chop was huge. When I sliced into it, it was still raw pink in the middle. I know that pork has to be cooked all the way through so I asked the waiter if my chop could be cooked for longer which he happily took away. When it returned there was a big proportion of the chop missing and it appeared to have been seared instead of cooked either in an oven or frying pan, in the centre of the chop the meat was still pink and wet, so I left it. I have never had this problem before and wonder if the chef was having an off day. The waiter when removing our plates asked if everything was OK and I said no, not really but that it didn't matter. He apologised and thanked me for my feedback and asked if there was anything that I wanted instead which I declined.
This will not stop me going to the hotel because I think this must of been a blip, we love the hotel and the staff are really friendly and lovely. And sometimes things don't always go to plan and I should have not eaten the bread on the first night if I wasn't so sure. So, thank you to the Swan and we will be back.

Room Tip: Room 9 has a four poster bed, large shower, and bath. Room is spacious and really comfortable. Bed i...
1 Thank swoodward63
Good Afternoon

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent stay, we here at the hotel appreciate all our reviews whether they are constructive or positive and share them with the whole of the team on a regular basis.

We are so pleased that your loved the luxury of our four poster room, and the comfortable bed and fantastic bathroom. We are also happy to hear that you loved your meals even with the little blip and please be assured it was a blip.

tunbridge wells
Reviewed February 25, 2014

This is a really wonderful hotel - great welcome and friendly staff, lovely cosy lounges with log fires, tastefully decorated bedrooms with lots of space, fabulous location next to a fell and on a main bus route between Grasmere and Lancaster (once an hour. Truly memorable!

Room Tip: This hotel does not have a lift so if you have any disabilities you need to discuss your needs with...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
gmswangrasmere, General Manager at Macdonald Swan Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Good Afternoon

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent stay at the Macdonald Swan Hotel, Grasmere. We here at the hotel appreciate all our reviews whether they are constructive or positive and share them with the whole team on a regular basis.

We are all very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we all agree that the hotel is very cosy and welcoming with the open fires especially at this time of year.

We do hope that we can welcome you back in the future.

Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

Managed to snag a bargain break from the McDonald website and had a most excellent time in a most excellent hotel. We had booked DB&B. Greeted by very courteous & professional staff. Shown to a room with impeccable furnishings and spotlessly clean. We were on the front of the hotel with superb views of the fells around Grasmere. Our package was very flexible with us eating in the walkers bar instead of the restaurant. Food and service were excellent with good choice of food and drinks. As this is an old coaching inn there were open fires everywhere and the atmosphere is less formal than many hotels of this calibre. Though the hotel was almost full, it didn't ever feel rushed or staff stretched. Very difficult to fault our first stay at this most famous of Grasmere's hotels. Will definitely be keeping an eye on the website for future last minute deals.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
gmswangrasmere, General Manager at Macdonald Swan Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Good Evening

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent stay at the Macdonald Swan Hotel, Grasmere. We here at the hotel appreciate all our reviews whether they are positive and constructive and share them with the whole team on a regular basis.

We are pleased that you managed to snap up one of our great offers and even more pleased that you chose the Swan. It is a great hotel at this time of year with all the fires roaring and I will have to agree that the staff and food are great but I am slightly biased.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Hartlepool
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for two nights to celebrate our 27th wedding anniversary. We received a lovely warm welcome from the very pleasant young lady on reception who happily gave us our room despite checking in early. We had upgraded to a Feature Room and was not disappointed. It was lovely. We were also greeted with a card and chocolates from the staff congratulating us on our wedding anniversary. Just as we were settling into our room we were surprised to receive warm canapés and prosecco, very nice, warm mini Yorkshire puddings filled with sundried tomatoes and blue cheese and smoked salmon filled with lemon cheese on a crustini. Both tasted delicious. All the meals we had in the restaurant, both three course dinner each evening and breakfast each morning were all lovely. Plenty to choose from at each
sitting. One evening I had the steak and I requested a peppercorn sauce but asked for extra peppercorn in it. They obliged and it was the best peppercorn sauce ever (thanks to one of the very pleasant barman/waiter who had suggested to the chef to add some tabasco to it) - delicious as was everything else. My husband was not disappointed with his choices either. The hotel looks onto the fells which were covered in snow, beautiful area to stay in. Overall it was a lovely break, shame we had to come away. Couldn't fault our stay or the staff. Will look forward to going back again.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
gmswangrasmere, General Manager at Macdonald Swan Hotel, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at the Macdonald Swan Hotel, Grasmere. We here at the hotel appreciate all our reviews whether they are constructive or positive and we share them with the whole of the team on a regular basis.

We are so pleased that you chose the Macdonald Swan Hotel to celebrate your anniversary and also pleased that you were not disappointed with every aspect of your stay and all the little extra touches you received for your special stay.

We do look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Just returned from a 2 night winter warmer break. What excellent value we upgraded to an executive room so paid £194.00 for 2 nights dinner, bed and breakfast. Because we booked online we were also given a £10 credit to spend in the bar. The restaurant was lovely, busy with a good atmosphere. Dinner was lovely with a good choice and cooked to perfection! Breakfast was equally as good again with an excellent selection. The bar areas were really nice and cosy and served a very nice Cumbrian ale. The staff were excellent, extremely helpful and always has a smile for guests. We were in from 1 which was nicely decorated, lovely and warm with a modern bathroom. It was overlooking back courtyard with back entrance to kitchen and staff offices. It was next to a metal staircase which the staff seemed to use. Although the room did not have a view it was still nice and quiet considering it was overlooking the staff premises. 10 minute walk into Grasmere which is lovely, recommend Tweedies bar if you like live music on a night!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
gmswangrasmere, General Manager at Macdonald Swan Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Good Evening

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent stay at the Macdonald Swan Hotel, Grasmere. We here at the hotel appreciate all our reviews whether they are positive or constructive and we share them with the whole team on a regular basis.

I am pleased to hear that you were able to take advantage of one of our great winter offers from our main website and enjoyed your stay and the lovely delights of the hotel including the lovely food and ale and the amazing village that is Grasmere.

We all look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind Regards,
Jason Moore
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
The Inn at Grasmere
The Inn at Grasmere
#8 of 14 in Grasmere
The Wordsworth Hotel
The Wordsworth Hotel
#7 of 14 in Grasmere
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#9 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Rothay Garden Hotel
Rothay Garden Hotel
#4 of 14 in Grasmere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant

Been to Macdonald Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!