The Grasmere Gingerbread Shop (Sarah Nelson's)
Ranked #2 of 20 things to do in Grasmere
Reviewed May 19, 2014 via mobile

My mum told us to go and try, it's delicious! Well worth a visit!! The staff were dressed in old Victorian style outfits. Lovely and traditional.

Reviewed May 10, 2014

Totally yummy, we first visited on a Friday so there we hardly any queues. Cute little shop, very traditional. I purchased a large pack of gingerbread which made it outside the shop & then half of the packet devoured outside by the 4 of us. Absolutely beautiful!

It can get busy as the shop is tiny, but stick with it. It's definitely worth the wait!

Reviewed May 6, 2014

A cute shop with a nice wooden spoon garden. Long queues to get in and once in there are loads of speciality gingerbreads to buy...
We bought about 12 different ones..not sure what all the fuss was about though...must be an aquired taste... I like gingerbread usually too...

1  Thank stephen f
Joanne W, Owner at The Grasmere Gingerbread Shop (Sarah Nelson's), responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

To avoid any confusion for anyone reading this review - we only sell one kind of gingerbread in the shop, which is the original 1854 Sarah Nelson recipe, baked fresh daily.

Thank you to everyone who leaves reviews, we value your comments and thank you for buying our gingerbread :)

Reviewed May 2, 2014

I had never been fond of gingerbread and never heard of this shop before. As it is located on the main tourist's route, very near the church where the Wordworths are buried, you can always see customers queuing up. it is a charming, small traditional English bakery shop. I bought a few packs of their famous gingerbread as gifts for people at home, only because the packaging looked nice and the price was affordable (3.20 for 6 pieces). However, the taste turned out to be very lovely and all of my friends seemed to like it. The texture was a little different from the ginger biscuits I'd had before. I loved it because it was not too sweet and was a perfect company for a cup of tea. The spices and ginger gave such a delicious aroma, without being overpowering. If you ever visit Grasmere, don't miss it.

Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

I've visited the shop several times over the years and still can't walk past without popping in to buy a piece or two!! The shop is tiny and quaint, the staff dress in period costume and are always very helpful... The gingerbread is delicious but if you are expecting a fairly bland gingerbread man type biscuit you will be in for a surprise. It's much tastier (and in my opinion better)!