“Lovely food, generous portions!” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Potting Shed Cafe
Ranked #16 of 44 Restaurants in Grasmere
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Contemporary, Healthy
Good for: Kids, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Wheelchair Accessible
England
“Lovely food, generous portions!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2014

Had our lunch here. The sandwiches were well filled and there was a varied menu. An added bonus was that customers of the cafe, or adjoining garden centre, could park here at no cost!

Visited August 2014

“Cafe staff need sacking”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

We've been coming to The Grasmere Garden Centre for years and loved it. Hadn't been to the cafe in a while and was keen to try the new food and the new layout. Quite possibly had the worst customer experience ever today. As much I don't want this to affect the visitors that come here because I love the centre - and don't get me wrong - the food is fantastic - the problem is staff, and having read over other comments after our experience today, I hope our additional review prompts the owners to do something about the cafe staff, because customer service so unbelievably appealling warrants people being sacked. Your cafe and garden centre is lovely; why ruin it with your staff?! I had ordered soup and my partner a burger, and when they arrived the soup was cold. Stone cold, not just warm. I went to the side of the ordering counter where a young girl was placing butter into dishes and politely asked if my soup could be heated up, as it was cold. Her response "Can you give me a minute?!!" and not in a polite way, it was beyond rude, her voice annoyed, aggitated, as if "me" the customer was getting in her way. I had to wait 40 SECONDS while she filled up her butter trays before she grabbed the soup from my hand - saying nothing, no sorry or anything - and took it to the kitchen. Back to the table I went, waited for the soup. Another staff member, a lady in her early thirties perhaps, appeared and slammed the soup on the table and walked off, the look on her face of pure disgust. No sorry, no words, no nothing. We were beyond disgusted. The younger girl passed us sometime later as we were eating and I got given what I can describe as a 'hacky' look. Not usually someone who would complain to a shop manager, I could do nothing but, and immeadiately after eating went to ask for the manager. Steve was massively apologetic and looked very embarrassed at the situation, but looking back at previous reviews about the staff, I can't help thinking that if that nothing will be done to change this. Owner of The Garden Centre - you're reading the review of someone who has been visiting you for over 20 years, and I am NOT coming back. What does this say?! Get RID of your appalling cafe staff (shop staff are lovely); they do not care about their job, they do not care about your customers or the garden centre, and worst of all they are painting the most HORRID picture of The Potting Shed Cafe. Grasmere is the most wonderful village and anyone visiting here for the first time to experience this beyond atrocious customer service just wouldn't come back to the garden centre. It pays to get staff who enjoy their job, who are polite, who actually CARE about where they work. The girls we experienced today?! They don't give a dam. Please do something before your reviews affect your visitors.

4 Thank emlouclare
Eastleigh, United Kingdom
“See review for garden centre also! ”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

Just realised there is a separate part pn here for the appalling cafe! My other review got 2 stars for the pleasant member of staff at one of the garden centre entrances. Sullen uninterested cafe staff. Felt like an inconvenience to be there. Shame as paninis lovely although had a debate with the staff about there only being 3 paninis left and that was all we wanted anyway! Seemed like the staff strived on making customers feel uncomfortable! Don't go in my opinion!

1 Thank Rand35
South Shields
“We love it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

We love the Potting Shed. It is so much better then you would expect for a cafe attached to a garden centre. The sandwiches are very big and tasty and soup is delicious. The breakfasts are fab too, we always go for breakfast after we have checked out of the cottage for our last treat before going home.

Visited June 2014
North Yorkshire
“Good food, just need some courtesy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

We greatly enjoyed the food here; fabulous risotto and goats cheese mains. And the scones are yummy......seriously good! The female staff are a little curt and lacking in manners; the customer in front of me was argued with, and for me that's a no-go. Otherwise, a very pleasant experience.

Visited July 2014