“Fantastic hotel”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
north yorkshire
“Fantastic hotel”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Stayed here for 1 night with friends and got a DBB deal for £120 per room. The hotel is set right by the lake in aa stunning surrounding. In a fantastic place for walking and 10 minutes to grasmere.
The rooms are huge and really well done with Milton brown toiletries in. The spa is really good but children are not allowed in the pool.
Would defiantly return

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank polamb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (555)
hartlepool
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I chose The Daffodil to celebrate a birthday weekend. I was looking for something luxurious in a beautiful setting that also presented good value.
Grasmere is a lovely spot for relaxing and walking. It's stunningly beautiful with just the right amount of shops and pubs in the little village.
My deal for two nights in a SENIOR SUITE included dinner and breakfast and cost £558. I'd also considered The Samling , Holbeck Gyhll and stumbled upon The Cranleigh during my search.
The Daffodil is an imposing on the edge of the village. Built in the 1800's in traditional Lakeland stone and sitting by the edge of the lake.
Inside the décor would not be out of place in a city centre hotel. We booked room 230 with a bay window with views to the lake. I appreciated that this as not overlooked by any other rooms in the hotel - we could relax in the suite with curtains open.
The suite is very modern with extra large bed, extra large bathroom and sofas in front of the Samsung smart tv.
There are tea/coffee facilities and this suite had an extra large bath and shower.
Very modern and luxurious.
Atmosphere in the restaurant is fairly formal ( best behaviour/ one of those places where everyone whispers) and I do prefer great food in relaxed rooms with a bit of a buzz. The food is well presented and the menu is well balanced but the food is just ok. I enjoyed duck which was perfect, tasty prawn starter, chicken - fine and lemon pudding - average. I wouldn't have enjoyed my partners venison which was too bloody for my taste. We ate 2 courses on two nights and on one night had a bottle of wine and paid an extra £37 on our deal . Good stuff. Service is slower than average and there could be times when you think they've forgotten you. I saw several dinners trying to attract the waiting staffs attention but we weren't in any rush.
I'd enjoy is more if the dinning room atmosphere was less stuffy. The waiters in their waistcoats telling a fellow dinner how to place his menu back on the table to give him clues if he is ready to order is really unnecessary. It also seems to jar with the Hotels philosophy which I read in our room pack. Relax, have fun. don't take like too seriously
Breakfast is served in the same dinning room buffet style with the usual hot and cold choices. Everything was perfect and I do hate the buffet / bun fights but it was January and therefore less of a scrum I would guess.
Loved the Sitting Room - a large modern space to relax, read and play games with views of the lake. I also enjoyed looking at the art work and photographs in the bars and restaurant.
The spa small and perfectly formed and we enjoyed an hour in the large Jacuzzi pool, steam room and sauna. At points we had it to ourselves which really is a luxury to me but this was January.
You'll love it here if you need your mod cons even in the country side. Lovers of traditional fireside sitting, wet Labrador patting, overstuffed armchairs will hate it.
You must get a room with a view as you run a risk of looking at roof/aircon/car park which would spoil a beautiful trip for me

Room Tip: Senior suite 230 was gorgeous and not overlooked by other rooms. You must ask for a view to avoid a...
1 Thank smallluxuryitem
Grange-over-Sands, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 26, 2014

My boyfriend took me here for a surprise as part of my birthday present and I thought it was a lovely hotel in a lovely part of the lakes. I had never been to Grasmere before, and although the hotel lies on the outskirts of the village, it is just a short walk into the center of the village.
First of all the good things - the bed - the bed was huge, and so comfy; the bathroom - the bathroom was lovely, the bath was huge and the shower was ferocious; molton brown - as a fan, I love the little toiletries; the breakfast - we both thought the breakfast was really tasty, loads of choice, really good quality.
The niggly things - noise from upstairs - although not much can be done about it, the people in the room upstairs from us were wandering around very late and very early and it was very noticeable; the lights - the room needs a lamp! It said in the hotel guide that you could borrow a lamp from reception but if all the rooms were as dark as ours, a standard lamp in the corner would be beneficial to creating a nicer ambience in the room; spa - it would be nice to have use of the spa facilities included in the price of the room.
Otherwise though, I had a lovely time. It was a fantastic surprise and I would go back. I definately would recommend it to other people in future.

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 24, 2014

We stayed at the daffodil last weekend on their January sale offer, it is one of the nicest hotels we have ever stayed in the spa was fantastic and the breakfast was lovely also just everything was great and even Milton brown toiletries in the bathroom

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the daffodil hotel last weekend. The hotel is very modern and the rooms were spotless. Spa was different and good fun. There were obviously very few residents on the Thursday night however we took the decision to eat in the hotels grill room. I ordered a prawn starter which was not bad but a bit on the small side. We both ordered steak. The plates that the food came on were cold despite our server warning us to be careful not to burn ourselves! My wife's steak was cold which was taken away and replaced by a hot one however in the time that it took to cook I had finished my meal. They did knock something off the bill but by that time the evening had been spoilt. Breakfast on Friday morning was not much better. Maybe it was the lack of residents but there was no buffet. We ate in the village on Friday night. Saturday's breakfast was better as it was a buffet and you could see before you chose what you wanted to eat. Sorry daffodil but our perception was that the lack of residents equated to a lack of food quality.

3 Thank Duggy4
Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a relaxing couple of days and we have had a lovely time. Everywhere was immaculately clean and the staff couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful.
The Spa was fantastic!
The breakfast was lovely, and I was even given gluten free toast upon request!
The bedrooms were lovely and the bed was really comfortable!
If I had one criticism, it would be the air conditioning in the lounge on a cold day..... If it had a small cosy area with a fire, it would have been absolutely perfect!
Thank you.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lynne M
Billingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 18, 2014

This is a lovely hotel and decorated to a modern style. The communal areas are all very pleasant and tidy.

Room - the room was very comfortable and clean, although the lights are energy saving lights therefore take a while to get bright enough to read in the room. It does tell you in the information pack about this but it takes a while to get used to. We had a Superior room that didn't have a view (we knew when we booked) but the website tells you that the rooms without a view have all the luxuries of rooms with a view at a cheaper price. We were happy with our room.

Spa - the pool isn't a swimming pool and it says this on the website so we knew when we booked. It is a thermal pool with jets and jacuzzis and it is very relaxing. There is also a steam room and a sauna. We hadn't booked any treatments but the staff were very accommodating and managed to fit us in so we could both have a simple back massage at the same time, in the same room. This too was very relaxing.

Restaurant - we can't comment for an evening meal as we didn't eat in the hotel but we did have breakfast which was lovely. The staff were very friendly, professional and accommodating. I ordered poached eggs on toast and when they came they were just right with runny yolks.

Bar - we did have a drink in the bar before retiring and found the staff very helpful. There is a very small seating area near the bar itself, next to the restaurant but there is also a large sitting room. This does mean carrying your drinks back through the restaurant area but I am sure the staff would serve you in the sitting room, if asked.

Overall we had a good weekend and would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: If you don't mind not having a view the Superior Rooms are cheaper.
1 Thank Chocolate_Girl8
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
Langdale Hotel
Langdale Hotel
#6 of 12 in Ambleside
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,364 reviews

Been to The Daffodil Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!