The Daffodil Hotel & Spa
  • Restaurant
$117
$95
1,988 results
All reviewsa lake view roomsenior suiteafternoon teamud rasulsteam roommolton brown toiletrieslake districtsitting roombuffet stylebeautiful hotelseparate showerhuge beddove cottagereception arearestaurant managerhigh standardbirthday treat
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights with my husband. Here's what I honestly thought.

THE GOOD
The staff - mostly eastern European. Everyone we met was polite, helpful & friendly.
The location - next to Grasmere lake. Easy walk to village.
The bathrooms - clean and warm with huge bath. Nice fluffy towels & Molten Brown products.
The pictures in the corridors - as others have mentioned these are quirky and fun.

THE NOT SO GOOD
Reception Area - stark and unwelcoming. I felt like I was in an airport, waiting to check in my bags. It's not what you would expect from a Lake District hotel. There's a plasma screen on the wall showing a picture of a log fire. Personally, I'd prefer the real thing.
The bedrooms - Really clean and have all the mod cons BUT feel a bit like an upmarket Premier Inn.
Breakfast - Continental buffet selection is good, However the hot food is dreadful. A hotel of this rating really should cook hot food to order and serve it to your table. Instead they offer it buffet style under heat lamps. YUK - rubbery eggs and dried up bacon. Each morning we found that items ( especially eggs) were slow to replace and there's usually a queue at the toast machine. It's all a bit Premier Inn meets holiday in Benidorm.
The Spa - looked really nice and would have loved to use it BUT it closes at 5pm on weekdays. Would have loved to be able to relax in the pool early evening after a day outdoors.

So, a bit of a mixed experience. Would I go back? I doubt it. It would be OK if you were travelling on business but it's certainly not the place for a relaxing/romantic break.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Chris B
Reviewed November 7, 2013

My husband took me here for our first anniversary and it did not disappoint! We had the only room in the hotel witch a balcony which had a gorgeous view of the lake. We sat on there and had champagne and strawberries! It was a Sunday so pretty quiet. We had treatments in the Spa then went for a relax in the pool. The jets were awesome and the steam and sauna rooms so relaxing. We ate in the restaurant which was quite expensive but relevant for the hotel. After tea we wandered back to the room and stumbled across a sitting room witch chess boards and big cosy settees which looked lovely! I would highly recommend this hotel for a treat in the lakes. Grasmere isn't the busiest of places to visit (if you don't know the area) but isn't far to Ambleside or Bowness.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed November 7, 2013

We had a two night stay here including dinner and use of the spa.
Our room was modern with a very cosy bed and great shower. The view was okay, overlooking the hills at the back of the hotel (for the price we paid we were expecting to overlooking the air conditioning units!).
The food was lovely and the staff in the restaurant were especially pleasant and friendly.
The spa area is a must. We visited twice and the busiest time was when there were five other people there.
I loved my stay here and would return. We usually stay at a lovely B&B in Ambleside and the only thing the hotel didnt have was that 'cosy, homely feel' our usual B&B has.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We have just returned from a short break in the lake district, and stayed at the daffodil hotel on the outskirts of Grasmere. It is built in keeping with the surroundings from local stone, but is plush inside. The service was excellent as were the rooms and the spa. We decided to dine at the hotel at night and the food was really good. We would definitely stay there again and would recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I booked an overnight spa deal for myself and my daughter through Lastminute.com and got a great deal. We arrived too early for check in as we had treatments booked, but it wasn't a problem. The staff were very welcoming and we used the spa whilst waiting for our treatments which is a really relaxing place to be, the hydrotherapy pool is wonderful. Both the treatments were lovely and these were included in the rate we paid which when looking at their individual prices made the deal even better.
Our booking said that the room would be a superior room, but wouldn't have a view, however when we got in there and looked out of the window we were delighted to see a fantastic view of the lake. The room itself was lovely and probably one of the cleanest I've ever stayed in. There was a lovely little hospitality tray with lots of choice of drinks, including individual sachets of fresh filter coffee. The bathroom was great, having a separate shower cubicle and bath so you don't have to do a balancing act getting out the shower. The toiletries supplied were top class and smelled wonderful. The bed was really comfortable and we both had a really good sleep.
We booked a table in the restaurant for our evening meal which was lovely, but I do find it hard to justify paying £6-£7 for a dessert, but as we were treating ourselves we gave in and had one! I must say though that for the price we certainly didn't get a large portion. Looks like you are paying for presentation, which doesn't mean anything once you've stuck you spoon in!
The hotel is situated in a really lovely spot with great views all round, the only thing stopping me from giving full marks is the lack of a fitness suite/gym which I would have used before using the spa.

Overall a really great hotel.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family