“Excellent doesn't even begin to describe this hotel”

The Daffodil Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We booked this at the last minute, really, as a few day's break to celebrate a family birthday ( the Lake District won the discussion- over Paris- so glad it did!) There is nothing about this tastefully and beautifully restored/rebuilt hotel that is less than excellent. We were greeted in such a friendly manner, directed to our superb room with a view of the stunning lake and mountains ( as a birthday treat, we had been given a complimentary upgrade to the lake view room)and, immediately, settled into the warm and friendly atmosphere of this superb hotel. The room was exquisite, beautifully appointed, scrupulously clean and boasting Molten Brown toiletries; the bed was so comfortable.....and huge! Large TV, a bottle of water and very nice tea/coffee/biscuits facilities added to the ambience. Great thought has been given to the design of this hotel- it is stunning. Staff in every department ( from Manager to room attendants and cleaners) are 1st rate- efficient, extremely pleasant and, obviously, very happy in their work. It is rather like a large family than a commercial concern - and they make their guests feel so much at home, it's great! Food in the restaurant is excellent - we chose very different dishes and all of them were well-cooked and unobtrusively served piping hot. The seemingly ordinary-titled menu, we felt did not do justice to the standard that the chefs achieved, e.g.the Fish and Chips was a large piece of pure white fish in a crispy beer batter, served with gourmet chips, a little pot of mushy peas and "to die for" home-made caper-filled tartare sauce. Think you can afford to boast a bit more, chef! The desserts were incredible and the cheese and biscuits enough to "share". You will gather that we were so, so delighted with our stay.......and I haven't even mentioned the Spa which is Hollywood standard! Again, staff are very efficient and the treatments are excellent. This place is perfection - on the edge of one of the most beautiful lakes in Britain, a hotel and spa second to none with everything one could need for a splendid experience. You MUST go........ I'm about to book again!

Room Tip: Nothing to do with the room, but worth a mention.........Do take swimming gear -the spa area does no...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,869)

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Beautiful hotel, fantastic location, good food, excellent service. This was the start to our honeymoon, well worth the extra £100.00 for a lake view. Perfect.

Dealings with the hotel after, a big let down. The hotel swiped my credit card on booking in for the full room price, I completed the payment in full on day of departure. Two days later went to pay for our next hotel to find I had no credit. It transpires they had charged full cost plus were holding £298.00. This was not the issue, dealings with staff was disappointing, to say the least. I stated that I was in a hotel unable to pay and was informed I could only speak to reception, call terminated. Twenty minutes later, after the phone rang out, I made contact and spoke to the same person who took a message, forty minutes later reception contacted back (all this time I was in reception of the later hotel, trying to sort funds out. Eventually was called by the head of reception, unsympathetic and dismissive, who had sorted the issue, would I return, unsure.

Room Tip: Room 306 had two windows with a double aspect view.
1  Thank devina11_11
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Just back from our second trip to the Daffodil Hotel and we can't wait to return again.

Our room (a lake view room) was not only luxurious and spacious but was also the perfect place to come back to after a long day at the lakes.

We dined in the hotel restaurant on both evenings and the food was great - we would especially recommend the goats cheese to start followed by the steak. There was also a good choice of both continental and full english breakfast on offer.

The staff were absolutely fantastic and were helpful wherever possible.

The spa is brilliant with a sauna, steam room and thermal pool with massage jets. We have not been for a treatment however are sure it would be first class.

We would definitely recommend staying at this hotel - it has something for everyone regardless of age.

Room Tip: We have stayed in both a valley view and lake view room and both are excellent - although it is nice...
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Had Sunday lunch in the dining room and it was brilliant. Good food well cooked. Excallent attentive service but not over the top. Coffe in the lounge afterwards was very relaxing and the views are stunning. Maybe get to stay over another time.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in the Daffodil Hotel. It is located on the shore of Grasmere loch and opposite Wordswoth house, Dove Cottage. The hotel has been rebuit in classic Lake District slate but inside it was surprising to find a completely modern hotel more like what you would find in a city or resort. Our room was very comfortable with a 6ft bed. Our only problem was the heating system which is controlled remotely so when we switched it off it came back on again if the temperature dropped below 19 degrees. This was too warm for us and also the duvet was too thick. Other folk might have been fine with that. The dining room had a view over the lake and the service and food was excellent. The staff were friendly and helpful. There was a spa and pool but we did not use it as we were out walking. The scenery is amazing. We would definitely go back if got a similar offer.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the loch. The road is quite busy so a room away from the road is better.
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We’ve just returned from a 2 night stay at the Daffodil in Grasmere – where we had 2 nights B&B for £129 with a Money Supermarket Voucher.

First impressions: It’s a large new hotel located in an old building which I believe was a former hotel itself, and is situated on the main road into Grasmere. This area is beautiful and hotel is sensitively designed with an exterior to blend into its surroundings as best it can, for a such a large hotel. Big car park, plenty of spaces. From the front though, the hotel doesn’t look quite as appealing as it does on the pictures. This is due in part to it being situated next to a load of scruffy looking out-buildings which are presumably connected to the hotel in some way. But as the hotel only opened in July 2012 I imagine plans are place to develop these outbuildings and made the façade look a bit more appealing. Walking into reception, I was expecting a bit of character – but it’s just a huge lobby with a low ceiling. To be fair, it’s always hard to inject character into rooms with a low ceiling, I find. It’s been decorated fine – it just felt a little bit lifeless. Could have done with music and some better artworks perhaps of the beautiful Grasmere countryside to make it seem a bit more welcoming.

Checking in: I’d given my voucher number over the phone at the time of booking so didn’t print out a paper copy. Big mistake. They insisted on having a paper copy to attach to our invoice. Wi-Fi signal in the hotel is very un-reliable and it took us nearly 20 minutes to get into our Hotmail account and forward the voucher to the hotel. This was very irritating for us and we’d have really appreciated being told in advance that we’d need a paper copy. So we were stood about in the lobby getting more and more frustrated tapping away on our mobiles to no avail. Internet terminals in reception might be an idea, there weren’t any and no assistance was offered by reception. Bad first impressions then – so much for our romantic weekend away – here we are desperately searching for a voucher. Hmmm – good job I’m not trying to impress anyone!

Room 114: We were allocated a room on the first floor. Walked in to find it overlooking the air- conditioning units. Cheers! Always seems to be the way with these deals that you get their most rubbish rooms. I guess that’s to be expected though. We knew there would be ‘no view’ but there’s a difference between ‘no view’ and ‘unpleasant view’, in my eyes. I was left very confused as to the design of the hotel, who would put the air con units at the front of the hotel where they are visible from the outside at the front of the hotel? If you look on the photo I’ve uploaded, the vents are located on the small flat roof that is pale yellow in colour. I’ll tell you why, its because Grasmere Lake is located to the rear of the hotel, and they didn’t want those views to be tarnished by air con vents. God I’m clever, I should be on Eggheads! Anyway, back onto subject - thankfully, the French doors to our room were unlocked, for a reason – they don’t lock! Whoever fitted the doors made a bit of mess of it, as they didn’t fit. This gave me the perfect ammunition to go to reception and request a room change, as this was security risk. We were given a much nicer room on the second floor (room 217). This also had no view (but it was in fact quite nice with a view of the side of the car park and hills beyond) but that was fine and what we expected for what we’d paid.

Room 217: Ok, I’ve done most of my complaining early on, but in all fairness the rooms in the hotel are very nice. Spotlessly clean. Beautiful bathroom with separate shower (very powerful and relaxing), fabulous tub and amenity unit and fancy Molton Brown bath products. See uploaded image which actually doesn’t do it justice.The bed was huge, very comfy and there were lovely coffees, teas, biscuits and a great wide screen TV. Black out curtains and attractive décor. Very pleased with the room – but guess what? French door didn’t shut properly or lock in here either! It would have taken an extremely agile and determined cat burglar to break in to our room being on the 2nd floor – but these French doors not locking are a major concern for the hotel, I would think.

I’m going to be more positive now. We did really enjoy our stay at the Daffodil and the early problems we had checking in soon became a distant memory.

In terms of facilities we sampled the spa on day two – we didn’t have any treatments but we did use the hydrotherapy pool, sauna and steam rooms and it’s a lovely facility – perfect for spanning time on a rainy Friday afternoon! Thankfully there was only one other couple there when we went. But the steam room is a decent size and could easily accommodate 10-15 people without it feeling overcrowded. The pool is not really a swimming pool, it’s heated like a warm bath and as it’s a hydrotherapy pool you wouldn’t use it for swimming lengths, as one touch of a button from another guest and you’re chewing on some serious bubbles!

There is a bar at the lobby and adjoined to the breakfast room - but no Lakes ales on tap was a disappointment. Hawkshead Brewery is 9 miles up the road, its a no brainer.

Breakfast was excellent, superb selection of cereals, two types of bread, fresh fruit and a full English breakfast buffet including fried bread. A special mention for the lovely sausages and bacon which were most definitely ‘butchers’ standard. And beans! God I hate it when places don’t serve beans – well done hotel, and they were cooked, not just heated up and hard as pellets! Also their yoghurts were delicious. Breakfast for me was very, very good.

Staff were reasonably happy and friendly during our stay.

The car park is not lit very well, it is lit but it can be a little difficult to navigate at night. I don’t think they’d be allowed any stronger lighting though due to the smattering of residential cottages opposite – which is fair enough. Just take care when weaving between cars to the entrance as there are some carefully concealed grass borders which I nearly tripped on.

All in all this is a good hotel with good facilities in a nice rural location about 10 minutes walk from the centre of Grasmere

Make sure you take a trip to see the grave of William Wordsworth and wander lonely as a cloud through the adjacent daffodil garden, planted in his memory

There are also some fantastic tea shops in Grasmere too – well worth a visit

If the hotel does a similar deal I think we’d book it again. Please note: I would give this hotel 3.5 out of 5 stars and say it was good - rather than 3 -average if Trip Advisor's ranking facility was a little bit better. Seems strange to go from average to very good - sort that out please TA!

One major downside...Poor wi-fi signal may be upsetting to some customers. Even without the Wi-Fi, you’ll still struggle to access the internet as the reception is so weak in Grasmere.

But who needs Wi-Fi when there are all these walking trails!

Erm, I wouldn’t mind it actually…

Room Tip: Dont go for room 114!
4  Thank TheLochNessMonster
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Good location for a weekend away with a group of friends. Very friendly staff, well appointed hotel. Rooms a good size, slightly lacking in character and feel, almost too big for the amount of furniture in them! Good big beds. Liked the steam room and spa pool.
Breakfast quite a good spread but impossible to get a decent piece of toast with the ridiculous conveyor belt toaster - one pass and its warm bread, two passes and its charcoal. This can't be the way to do toast! Hot food a good standard although the poached eggs not worth the wait... A bit watery at difficult to eat.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#6 of 12 in Ambleside
The Inn at Grasmere
The Inn at Grasmere
#6 of 14 in Grasmere

Been to The Daffodil Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!