“Relaxing”

The Daffodil Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I stayed here with my girlfriend for 2 nights with a KGB deal and I have to say how great the hotel is. It is the most modern, stylish and relaxing hotel in the area. It's very new and you can tell, the staff are very helpful and friendly especially at dinner where the food too is fantastic, not a great selection of main meals but it is all top notch! The location of the hotel is excellent you have the beautiful lake grasmere right next to it and for a base to explor the Lake District it's very good with Keswick a short drive one way and Ambleside a short walk the other way with Windermere only about a ten minute drive too. The spa facilities were great too so relaxing and free, you had to pay for treatments which neither of us had but overall this is a very good hotel I would certainly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,869)

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Went to the Daffodil last weekend for the second time, as our first time (the week it opened) was fantastic. We booked again for weekend as it was my birthday, and we even upgraded our room. So we were looking forward to something very special this time. So how disappointing was it to walk into our room and look straight out onto the car park, a flat roof and huge ventilation system! Very!!! Also the curtain was hanging down on one side and the room was cold! Another major thing was the lighting, I could hardly see to get ready it was so dark. I was feeling really disappointed but got on with having a lovely time with my fiance. The next morning breakfast was nothing more than a total fiasco! We queued to get into the dining room, we were eventually shown into a small, hot, bland, child noisy side room!! We had to wait until breakfast was nearly over to get our tea and coffee and then it was a very weak, cold tea at that. The breakfast was buffet style in another side room..... I say breakfast, but there was no food there! If you took the risk of waiting you'd have been there ages and then crushed in the rush or bravely go back to your table and return in a few minutes, by which time anything that may have been replenished (though that wasn't much) was surely gone again!!! There were no plates, or indeed when some food came out there were no plates, and when there were plates there was no food again! Disaster on a huge scale!!!! Never heard so much complaining!! I went to reception later that morning, I was quite upset and I complained about the room, the breakfast, the upgrade and the fact that we got less than less time without one. The receptionist didint apologise and said she would tell her manager. I really thought that as I was upset, it was my birthday, we were second time visitors etc etc that maybe an apology would be waiting or even perhaps a bottle of wine in the room. Nope nothing! I've worked in the banking industry for many years and when a customer complains the time to rectify the situation is immediately, and in fact you can turn a complaint around into a success story within minutes!

2  Thank Cathy D
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We have just returned from a very pleasant two nights here. We are regular visitors to the Lake District, and found this hotel to be refreshingly different from the usual type of traditional hotel found in the area.
The exterior did not give any indication of what to expect, and we were surprised and delighted to find the interior could have been in any ultra modern sophisticated international hotel. Although some might find the vast marble lobby rather stark, we liked it. Everything is shining and brand new, sadly, the lobby bar was closed, but I should imagine in the future it will have more atmosphere once it is full of people, although not in their muddy walking boots!
Our room was ultra modern, spotlessly clean,with a large comfortable bed, an impressive flat screen TV, safe,tea and coffee making facilities, bottles of water, very interesting lighting, although it could have been brighter.
The bathroom was excellent, large bath and separate walk in power shower, lovely soft thick towels, everything very well maintained.
The breakfast was fresh and varied, staff very pleasant.
The spa was lovely for my aching bones after a long fell trek, but I had to watch the time during our walk as I noticed that the spa doesn't open in the evenings,and I didn't want to miss my pampering.
The location is good, just a short walk to the centre of Grasmere, we found it easier to walk from the hotel than to try and park in the village.
We certainly hope to return to the Daffodil Hotel soon.

1  Thank Grandmamax16
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We expected some teething problems as the hotel has only been open since August and as such the rate we paid was a lot less than full price. First the good things; the spa is brilliant and is lovely to relax in if the weather is bad, the beds are really comfortable and the bathrooms are large and the main course I had in the restaurant was delicious. Now the bad. When we arrived we discovered a brown present sitting in the toilet, disgusting. We were moved rooms when we complained to be fair but there really is no excuse. On the second night it was approaching midnight and there was a lot of noise coming from the room next door (laughing/talking, tv noise). When we reported this to the night porter he insisted on coming into the room to listen to it himself despite my Fiance being in bed in her nightwear. He also said he couldn't hear anything which annoyed me considering we had just listened to 45 minutes of it. Again he moved us to another room which was one of the lakeview rooms. Unfortunately we still had a disturbed sleep as the main room doors in the hotel slam themselves shut very loudly whenever they are opened (the headboard actually shook), they need to be a lot softer closing and all rooms in general need better soundproofing. The breakfast is all self service buffet including the hot items, which meant a lot of the time there were items missing like all of the sausages, bacon or hash browns running out. For the price you are paying for a stay, the cooked breakfast order should be taken by a waiter and brought out to you. There are other little touches missing like no conditioner in the bathroom, no bath robes, a bedside light didn't work in one of the bedrooms, the apple crumble (£6) was really poor as it was just a bramley apple sauce with uncooked crumble mix ontop and it definitely hadn't come out of an oven (well maybe a microwave oven). Trying not to be too negative I think it has potential but the hotel needs to set higher standards for itself in a lot of areas before it can justify higher prices or even the prices it is charging now.

1  Thank FernGully82
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We have just returned from a 2 night stay via a KGB deal. The hotel was excellent i couldnt fault it, all the staff were friendly, it was all brand new inside and the thermal pool and sauna etc were great to chill out on an afternoon. We hope to return next year.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

As regular visitors to The Lakes, we have watched the renovation of this hotel with interest, and we were very much looking forward to seeing and experiencing what had been done.

On arrival at 2.55pm our room was not ready. We only had to wait until 3.15, so no huge deal, but it doesn't start the experience off well, particularly after a long journey. And why does nobody simply use the word 'sorry' anymore. It does sometimes help.

The entrance of the hotel opens into a large reception / bar / sitting area. It is very modern, very stark and for me resembled an airport lounge or private hospital. Minimal amounts of modern furniture, no art work on the walls and lots and lots of painted plaster board walls.

This sets the theme for the hotel. It feels like somebody has spent a lot of money and put quite a lot of effort in, however it also feels like a new build apartment that has only been partly furnished and occupied. The contrast of this modern, minimal, unfinished interior was too stark for the traditional feel of Grasmere and the lake.

The bathrooms are very well appointed, however we found the lighting throughout the hotel, and particularly in the bedrooms to be very dim. The rooms have no lamps or softer lighting options and are sparsely furnished.

The Spa is impressive, but has not natural light or windows. Consequently you feel like you are under ground. The carpeted corridor to the Spa was quite simply dirty, and appeared not to have been vacuumed for days.

We only ate breakfast, which was the usual uninspired buffet selection. However it is served in a side room off the restaurant, which again, was just another plaster board box. Absolutely nothing else was in this room apart from the service counter, and the walls. No art work, no soft furnishings. It feels like a servery in a hospital.

As I'm sure you have gathered by now, we didn't like it. It feels corporate and too generic for us is out of place in such a traditional location.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

My husband and I booked a kgb deal at the Daffodil and were pleasantly suprise,the hotel used to be a rather dated shabby place where cheap coach trips were taken to stay,our suprise and delight at finding a modern bright clearly well designed and thought out hotel was worth all the rain.The menu looked plain and simple but we ate there the first night anyway,it was cooked and presented well and was quite delicious.Good choice of drinks at the bar,friendly chatty staff and a great spa,we will be back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#6 of 12 in Ambleside
The Inn at Grasmere
The Inn at Grasmere
#6 of 14 in Grasmere

Been to The Daffodil Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!