“Poor Lunchtime Meal”
Review of Ash Cottage - CLOSED

Ash Cottage
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Ash Cottage Hotel, sister of the Grasmere Red Lion Hotel. Set in the Heart of Grasmere, Ash Cottage Hotel enjoys the most outstanding & breath-taking views of the ever changing surrounding landscapes. We offer superior accommodation & full use of all of our sister Hotel, the Grasmere Red Lion Hotel's, facilities directly opposite. Ash Cottage is the perfect local to be able to explore nature's outstanding beauty & central to the rest of the Lake District. Grasmere is Cumbria's most popular Village and the Ash Cottage Hotel is set in the centre, bringing you into a haven of peace & tranquillity. Dine as the fancy takes you... our Courtyard Restaurant serves the pick of the Lake District Larder. For local ales and tasty bar meals nip next door to the snug Lamb Inn, our traditional village pub, the only one in the village. The Glass House conservatory bar, café & restaurant provides great food with beautiful views, or enjoy our traditional bar meals from Ash Cottage itself. You will be spoilt for choice. At our luxury Lakeland hotel we provide you with all you could wish for, richly furnished, beautifully appointed rooms in which to unwind, two large outdoor seating areas to relax after a wonderful day's walk and friendly service to bring you refreshment while you drink in the Lakeland panorama. Boasting a gorgeous indoor heated pool, enjoy a morning dip before breakfast or a gentle early evening swim, between hiking the great outdoors and sitting down to dinner. If on the other hand your visit is of a business nature, we offer you the space and time to think in a completely fresh setting. Here at the Ash Cottage Hotel & Grasmere Red Lion Hotel you can get away from the everyday routine and enjoy a different view of conferencing.
Lancashire, United Kingdom
“Poor Lunchtime Meal”
Reviewed June 10, 2012

My partner and I had been walking in the area and decided to stop in Grasmere for some food. Unfortunately we chose to eat here rather than any of the nice looking cafes. The outside of the building is lovely but inside is an odd mismatch of 50's diner with horrible black seating areas combined with old fashioned pictures of the lake district. My partners gammon was overcooked and the chips were obviously bought in frozen. The bread for my sandwich was slightly stale, but the cajon fries that came with it were ok (although obviously frozen again). The place could just be so much better, get some proper home cooking going on!

• Visited June 2012

Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Little Britain”
Reviewed September 22, 2011

One dreary September day my wife and I took our two dear children to meet relatives in this beautiful part of the world, an area in which I had spent so much of my youth but have not returned to for sadly many years. We met at the Travel Lodge opposite Ash cottage and spent a lovely family day there shooting the breeze and dodging the torrential rainthat had beset the day, under the watchful gaze of the beautiful mountain back drop , busy doing nothing. During a brief rain interlude we decided to have a little walk through the beautiful Lakeland stone cottages to find somewhere nice for dinner. Surely to compliment and give thanks to such a place which Mother Nature has so beautifully furnished one would find the highest quality local fayre as one expects when one travels through such areas in France, Switzerland and Italy. The town was deathly quiet under steely slate grey skies, the heavy rain having quickly despatched all but the hardiest of visitor. Being short of time we entered the Ash Cottage Hotel.The decor is modern, American 50's dineresque and functional.There were three people in the bar, a couple with their young son, and two people in the restaurant. We approached the bar lady ' Good evening, could we please have a table for 6', with nearly a flicker of a smile at the corners of her mouth ( or it might have been wind)... 'No childrens please...' can the rapid retort.... 'Sorry...' 'yes please very sorry we hafing no childrens in restaurant'. My two girls are 9 and 16, they have travelled all over the world with us we have eaten in some over the finest restaurants and never had an issue'... 'Very sorry, no childrens this is rules...' 'can I see the mamager'...'yes please'... Off she trotted and 5 minuted later she returned with what I thought was one of the unkempt Little Britain cast, whom I presumed was the manager. I asked him why I could not bring my family into the retaurant for dinner....' no children thats the rules...' 'But we have been all over the world and have never ever been refused entry to a restaurant with the children, and the place is dead whay harm could they do. They are well behaved I told him and he had my cast iron guarantee that they would be no problem to his single other diner. 'No thats the rules, like it or lump it'.... 'but what about the the man at the bar busy quaffing several pints of Stella with his son of about the same age as my youngest (obviously a local)?'..... 'Thats the rules.' was the curt retort
I fully appreciate that not everybody likes to go out for dinner and for there to be chuldren present... especially if they are ill behaved ill manned and out of control, I'm sure we have all been in this situation, but these are the exception and the rule is proven by the many many familes with children like mine who can conduct themselves to a very high standards in any enviroment. In short this made me feel that little small minded Britain is still alive and kicking. If you are looking for a place which appears to be a cross between Fawlty Towers and Little Britain this could be what you've been looking for! Dont go there for dinner with children; turn right infront of the place and go to the little Italian restaurant a mile further down the road, good food, good atmosphere welcoming and as all Italian restraunts should be... family friendly!

16 Thank Graham A
Newcastle Upon Tyne
“Rather grumpy!”
Reviewed May 2, 2011

Had a few drinks here post Royal wedding last Friday. On a sunny afternoon there were many royalists reveling but mostly to the disdain of the patron who preferred to leave the bar work to his very sullen eastern block barmaid while he strummed his guitar in the front dining room!

1 Thank KRoNewcastleUponTyne
The Wirral
“There was nothing wrong with that burger”
Reviewed September 14, 2010

Well that is what Touring Tigger was told by an off duty member of staff at the bar in a pretty obnoxious way.

Let’s start at the beginning. Firstly, we only ate here and did not stay.
About an hour earlier Touring Tigger had ordered a home made burger made from the meat of locally reared beef, Mrs TT ordered fried chicken.
TT could not eat the burger, despite a day on the fells, it was not nice. The chips were OK so he ate those and shared some fried chicken which was also OK.

When the plates were collected, TT told the waitress that the burger was inedible, she apologised and left. Then nothing.

Whilst finishing the wine neighbouring tables were cleared and offered deserts / coffees, still no one came to our table. So TT went to the bar and asked to settle the bill, which included the cost of the burger. TT repeated that the burger was inedible and he was not going to pay for it, it is then that the person at the bar interjected.

A discussion ensued and TT reiterated that it was inedible in his view and as the customer he was not going to pay. He was asked why he had not asked to see the manager. He thought after the first complaint the manager would come to the table and ask what was wrong, but no one came. TT was asked if he wanted to see the manager, he was quite happy to talk to him but would not be coming back.

Meanwhile the cost of the burger had been deducted without a word, so Touring Tigger paid and departed into the rain.

2 Thank TouringTigger
Ayr, United Kingdom
“Average food”
Reviewed September 10, 2010

We only had a meal one night during our week's stay in Grasmere. The food was average, at best. Even the chips were dry!! It was less expesive that the other restaurants in Grasmere, but still not cheap. Not worth the money - we won't be back.

2 Thank no1riggie