Rothay Garden Hotel
$119
  • Restaurant
$107
$111
All reviewsriverside suitearomatherapy roomlangdale roombalcony overlooking the riverlake districtlovely hotelspa facilitydouble showerpatio doorsrobes and slipperspetit foursrelaxing staysmall balconyhigh standardhydro poolvenisoncourse dinner
Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

This was the chilled getaway the husband & I needed, we stayed in crag helm in the loft suite, very spacious, beautiful views & very comfortable. The spa area is so relaxing just perfect for a few hours down time, the heated loungers over looking the gardens are brilliant.
Evening meal was fantastic, atmosphere was very calming & loved the fact everyone was dressed. This was posh nosh, small amounts but just right.
Breakfast was great too, lots of food to choose from, cannot fault a thing, even down to been seated at the same table as the previous night.
My only gripe was trying to book a massage, no-one seemed to know who was working & someone was going to call me back to arrange, as they didn't there was no free appointments when I arrived so had to do without.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank louise i
Reviewed March 7, 2014

I have just returned from a one night stay at this hotel and loved it. My first thought was "don't believe all the gripes on TA about this hotel...its lovely! We booked as part of a Living Social Deal and it didn't disappoint. We were in a Langdal

STAFF - the staff were very helpful and couldn't do enough for us. I had booked this as a surprise for my husband asked to leave the bags a day or two before so we could turn up and it would be a surprise for him - the hotel were very obliging and kept them for us for two days, no problem.

ROOM - we were in one of the Langdale rooms on the first floor (16) which had a balcony and overlooked the garden and spa. My only gripe with this room was that the patio door was the only ventilation so we slept with that ajar to give us some air (because there was no windows) however it rained in the night and the rain came in. However that is really a small gripe for a fabulous room, not on the large side but had everything we needed; a huge bed, TV, tea and coffee (really coffee too)!

DINNER - the meal was exceptional with a complimentary soup to start and four fabulous courses. Having had a couple of aperitifs prior to dinner, the wine list in region order rather than colour confused me but we found a lovely Portuguese red and enjoyed it all. The cheese for dessert was plentiful and they offered loads more crackers etc. The assiette of pork was delicious. We were placed on a round table on the top tier of the restaurant which looked out of the restaurant which I was pleased about as I had read about those who didn't like being on the other side of the bannister although they didn't look that close in reality.

SPA - this was my favourite part of the trip, make sure you go as soon as your check in as its quite...it looked busy when we looked out later at around 5. The spa with its massaging shower jets was lovely as were the heated stone loungers...could have been in there all day. I think I read somewhere it didn't open until 12 which was shame as I would have liked another go first thing.

BREAKFAST - now this was also excellent - plenty of cereal, juice and fruit and a great cooked breakfast (single portion or double portion size for the hungry!)

We paid £159 for our stay with a four course dinner via Living Social and would definitely do it again. Fabulous.

Room Tip: Langdales with a balcony (room 16) was lovely. Cant comment on the others, but the balcony was a nice touch.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 2, 2014

A Living social deal offering evening meal and breakfast. What a lovely hotel, bit of quirky stairwell to get to our room which had views of the spa and the river...no noise though...good soundproofed windows. The room has a very large bed.....I didn't see the wife until the morning it was that big! All usual mod cons with....................a spa.....nice to relax in the heat and watch people walk by in the rain......did you know it rains in the Lake District?
Food was fantastic, wine was overpriced but also very nice. Breakfat set me up for the whole week.....go for the Fellwalker's Special!! Staff were also very nice.
Enjoy, Gramere is a lovely place, would loved to have stayed longer.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chris M
Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Rothay Garden Hotel this week. We had a loft suite (Helm Crag) which was immaculate and very luxurious. The spa was a very nice facility and we enjoyed some time there with the view of the hills.

We dined in the hotel restaurant both evenings and had beautiful food which we immensely enjoyed and breakfast was also good, although would have welcomed the options of baked beans with the full English!

The service was great although perhaps a little too stiff at times, some small talk or chat would have been appreciated especially from the staff in the restaurant. Also my partner ordered the cheese board one night and the pieces of cheese were very small. I know this is fine dining but it was still leaving a lot to be desired. He commented on this when the waiter collected our plates however the waiter just made a sound like a nervous laugh and then scurried away, never to be seen again, which made us feel like our feedback was neither appreciated nor paid attention to.

Aside from the cheese incident we enjoyed our stay very much and would definitely return if we could find another deal on Secret Escapes or similar as we felt it was excellent value for money.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sophie H
Reviewed February 27, 2014

On arriving in the spacious car park we were greeted in reception with a friendly, quick and efficient check in with all the relevant details told to us, offered to be helped with our bags whilst shown to our room, in the eves of the building, now, after reading a couple of reviews about these rooms being too small, grow up, they have everything you need, quality furnishings and a spotless room that puts premier inn cleanliness to shame..... All the touches of quality from a cafe t'aire to named bottled water etc, bathroom you could have a party in, it's that big and modern and has beautiful touches to it, ie. the toiletries... The restaurant is immaculate and amazing gastro food... Recommended the pork belly, oh my god!! As part of the 4 course menu.... Wine, a little expensive, £22 for a bottle of Pinot, but it was a good one, and it is Grasmere! It is in the Lakes, not a bad compromise!! The Spa with the views of the surrounding fells, the river running literally right outside the window...cleanliness, attention to detail, made our stay..... I'm not even going on to breakfast which was as good as the evening meal.....Highly recommended...we are going back in the summer when the rain might well be falling straight down instead of horizontal!!! All adds to the unique charm of this great part of our country!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple