“Great weekend break”

Rothay Garden Hotel
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Great two night stay. We stayed in a Grasmere Room which was a good size well furnished and bed very comfortable and would like to add it also had very good lighting often these days hotel rooms only have inadequate lamp lighting! The room over looked the lovely garden area which due to the good weather we were able to appreciate over a drink. The spa facility is an added bonus. We found the food to be excellent and the staff polite and very helpful. We would have no hesitation in recommending to others.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Stayed here for one night with our 11 year old daughter. Our room was on the ground floor overlooking the river. Lovely decorated and furnished room - in fact all the areas were well furnished. Our highlight of our stay was the spa - WOW! - it is very well appointed and very relaxing! We stayed for our evening meal, and although the price is a bit on the top side - we enjoyed it very much. The gardens are very splendid too - just a shame about the weather! I also liked the position of the hotel - just outside the hustle and bustle of the Grasmere centre, and a comfortable walk there (check out Baldry's tea room - great cafe, and the Village Garden centre too). We will definitely be back very soon I hope!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank magicalstay
Reviewed May 27, 2013

It is several years since we last visited the Rothay Garden Hotel, but we decided to splash out on a 'Champagne break' that was promoted by a mailshot received a couple of months ago.

Location
Rothay Garden is an attractive Hotel on the edge of the lovely Lakeland Village of Grasmere - one of our favourites. It boasts impressive gardens and a general air of quality and luxury when viewed from the exterior.

Reception
Reception desk service was average, and considering this is a small and supposedly top quality Hotel, maybe you could expect a bit more enthusiasm from the reception staff. We were offered a porter for our bags, but as usual I declined, as the rooms are not too far away. However, please note there is no lift.

Room
Our room was ready for us on arrival, and I admit to being somewhat surprised that our promised 'Champagne on arrival' was actually sitting on ice waiting for us - my expectations are never very high these days, and this was definitely a good start. Our room had good quality furnishings and fixtures, and although not large, it was perfectly adequate. The balcony was very small, but still it was nice to sit outside with a glass of Champagne until the rain drove us back indoors. Considering it was an 'upgrade' room, however, it was really nothing special, though the provided toiletries were definitely a cut above the norm, and the bottle of still water was a welcome touch.

Spa
The Spa is very small, and the Jacuzzi was cold on our first day - a notice stated a power problem had broken the heater, and it was fixed by the next day, so full marks for that. Strangely, you have to walk from your room to the Spa in a bathrobe, right past the Reception desk area, which both myself and my wife did not like. We walked down the main staircase feeling very self-conscious, only to be stared at by staff and other arriving guests on our journey - not very nice. surely a purpose designed Spa could have changing facilities? The Spa itself is OK, but the fancy shower units were both defective in some way and failed to deliver the promised deluges and 'Lakeland showers' or whatever they were called. I found this very disappointing, as if you promote a luxury Spa, then surely it is not too much to expect all the equipment to be fully functional? The 'aromatherapy' room was just a pleasant smelling marble clad circular room with nothing really to remark on except it was pretty cold, and seemed to have no real purpose. A steam room would have been so much better. The Sauna was OK as far as Saunas go. The large floor to ceiling windows give a great view out onto the garden, but I was glad it was raining, as these windows also allow anyone outside to stare in at you as you lay out on display on one of the two heated marble relaxer beds.

Restaurant
The food and service at Rothay Garden is absolutely first class, and almost makes up for any other shortcomings. We had a fabulous meal on both of our two nights, and the restaurant staff were great - especially the Sommelier, who was very knowledgeable and friendly. The only niggle was on our second night - when the promised coffee in the lounge after dinner did not arrive. We had to wait nearly an hour, and eventually I had to go and complain to the waitress twice before we got any service. This took the edge off our evening, and there is really no excuse, as she was standing by the bar both times doing nothing when I went through to enquire about the coffee.

Overall
Rothay Garden is expensive, even for the Lake District, and in some respects does not warrant the high prices in my opinion. However, the food is really, really good, and therefore if you enjoy quality dining, I would still recommend it for a couples break, and we will no doubt be back again at some time in the future.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Roadworn57
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Arriving after a very long journey, we were expecting to see a friendly face and a warm welcome. Perhaps we were expecting too much??? A cold reception manned by a female (no name badges worn in the hotel) who was very matter of fact and robotic not even a smile cracked - not what four star service should be in my eyes?? Giving the lady a little bit of a break - It maybe easier if we give her the benefit of "everyone has a bad day" but then I found out she was one of the higher management staff.
The gentleman who showed us to our room was friendly, very bubbly and delighted to show us around the hotel and where we could find everything - good recovery!!
Although the Spa is EXTREMELY small, it wasn't very busy and we near enough had the place to ourselves, the windows (which were definitely due a clean) do look out onto the front of the hotel which might not be as relaxing/private for some?
During the day we popped out for a gorgeous walk around the area, as we were leaving we near enough had to jump over the vacuum wire plugged in at reception, while servicing the bar area - not good!
The evening meal - apart from not having the wine in stock we were after and giving us the wrong menu for the specials that evening..... the food was AMAZING, just couldn't fault it absolutely delightful all credit to the chefs and kitchen staff!! Gorgeous.x As the evening went on - it did get better we were served by a very friendly chap behind the bar (after a little conversation he was the other big boss) - the cocktail was very well made!!
Overall the place was clean and tidy - all the staff were friendly (the lady we had seen yesterday must have been pleased to see us go as she managed a smile!!!) The room was big, clean and comfortable, the homemade chocolates were delicious - again mentioning the food - breakfast was also AMAZING!!
So although there were some really high points there were also very disappointing points and things that can be easily rectified - so hope this is listened to as constructive!

I would have given the food 5* without a shadow of a doubt and the hotel 3* so meet it in the middle this is why I have given 4* for the whole experience.

2  Thank Joanne B
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I was going to put this review on under restaurants but despite having two AA rosettes the Rothay Garden is not listed under restaurants. The food here is very good well worth two rosettes. The dining room is a recent build on which is contemporary inside and works well with the modern decor inside this traditional Lakeland slate exterior building.
You order at your table and drinks and food were ordered quite quickly in a nearly full restaurant on a Tuesday evening. We then waited 30 mins for our starters and a bread roll so had plenty of time to drink our first glass of Langlois Cremant de Loire an excellent French sparkling wine.
I had butternut squash soup which was ok and my partner scallops and black pudding one of his favourites which was good. Mains we had beef and Venison , the Venison was excellent and a very generous portion. For afters I had pear tarte tatin with a raspberry sorbet and caramel sauce which was the best I have ever had. My partner had creme brûlée which was good.
Plenty of room to sit in the lounges after dinner to have coffee and or drinks but a bottle of the excellent sparkling wine at £28 was enough for us.
Well worth a special visit and so we have booked again.
I cannot understand why this is not listed under restaurants.
£100 excluding drinks and service for two.

1  Thank LinC53
Reviewed May 21, 2013

This was my first visit to Grasmere since I was in the scouts approximately 50 years ago.
The stay was courtesy of our good friends who bought us a gourmet experience as a birthday present.
We had such a good stay that we have booked to return in August for our wedding anniversary!
The hotel is in a traditional Lakeland slate building but inside it has been revamped into a modern boutique style with a spa. The grounds are immaculate our room was set literally a stone throw from the river.
The staff and food were first class. As it was raining did not get to see much of Grasmere but it appears to be very up market. Hope to explore further in August when we have 2 days and hopefully better weather.
They exceeded our expectations

Room Tip: River side was excellent but the road side is probably quiet as a minor road. Most rooms seem to hav...
1  Thank BrianLincolnshireUK
Reviewed May 20, 2013

The hotel is generally fine. OK location, quiet. And we got a room facing the river at the back, so that was good. Unfortunately, the lady manager spoilt my vacation. On the second day and at our first breakfast at the hotel, she insisted that I sit at the same place that I had dinner the day before. I wanted to sit somewhere nearer to the windows and her response is "that cannot be done". She insisted that guests have to sit at the same table during the entire stay in the hotel! I told her that I am not willing to. There was absolutely no initiative on her end. She is efficient, but not effective. She should be re-trained to accomodate guests requests. On the other hand, the male restaurant manager was much more accomodating. Perhaps she should learn from him.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Traveller T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa
#4 of 20 in Windermere
Storrs Hall
Storrs Hall
#5 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Rothay Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!