“Awful - Aug 2013”

Traveller's Rest Grasmere
Ranked #11 of 47 Restaurants in Grasmere
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: This is already listed as an Inn/B&B but I want to write a review for the food only, as I just had a meal there.
Reviewed August 18, 2013

since our last visit the service and food have gone down greatly due to cost saving I think.
it is now restaurant prices with pub service.
the steak deal looked good and was edible but
the steak (medium) had the colour of pork with water as gravy and it the first time I've had it with a knob of butter on top, the onion rings looked very cheap.
we heard other people saying their steak looked like pork too.
still i looked forward to the Eton mess, mistake
their version was a bowl of cream like substance with a strawberry cut into four on top and meringue sprinkled on(about a flat table spoon). see photo
in all will not be returning, the fact that they have vacancies and tables free on a saturday night in august should have put us off.
please be aware.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

2 adults and 2 children.
Over priced, average of £7.00 for starter, average mains around £15.00
Staff spoke very little English, hard to understand them, resulting in not getting what we thought we had ordered.
Potentially great traditional English food executed poorly, pudding was burnt (sticky toffee pudding) and the Eaton Mess certainly was a poor show ...
Certainly wont be returning :-(

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Eaten here twice during our trip, went for the 2 course 'steak' special. I had steak one night, pork chop the other - both were lovely, may partner had the ham and thought it was too dry, the onion rings also on the first night were a bit rubbery, the rest was good.

Quick service, friendly staff , prices for food OK - give it a try!!

Reviewed July 24, 2013

We have eaten here quite a few times and every time the food was wonderful, great portions and good value for money. Very friendly staff. We will be returning.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We went here for an early evening meal on Saturday 13th July as this was our last night of a great weeks stay at Skelwith fold. What a truly awful way to end a great week.

The menu reads great, if only the food on the plate was anything like it reads.

Myself and my wife shared a starter of Ham Terrine with Piccalli and ermmm, Artisan bread.

That was actually quite good apart from the salad having Heinz salad cream all over it (why not buy a decent dressing from Booths if you can't be bothered to make one) and the Artisan bread was just a normal white bloomer. Ordered a decent bottle of red which they didn't have. Nothing majorly bad so far so I suspect the terrine and piccalilli were bought in.

THEN THE MAINS. Truly disgusting. Looked and tasted like a dogs dinner. I ordered a lamb shank with spring onion mash with roasted vegetables and a red wine and rosemary jus. Every lamb shank I've ever eaten has been slow cooked and falls off the bone. This was as tough as old boots, I really struggled to cut through it as it had obviously been roasted quickly. The mash was submerged, and I mean underwater, below a watery greasy brown liquid that tasted of watery Bovril. No hint of red wine and definitely no rosemary. The mash contained no spring onions, they cut a few bits of spring onion all over the plate. There was no roasted veg (which I love) just boiled bits of broccoli and carrots that were not even served separately, just plonked in the brown soup floating on top. After attempting to eat two forkfuls I sent it back and got a very average steak and kidney pudding with hand cut homemade chips..............That's what they say on the menu, they were frozen horrible chips.

The wife ordered the fish in beer batter with hand cut homemade chips, she got the worst homemade batter she's ever eaten. Not fluffy, and soggy in the middle. The fish inside was soggy and still had it's black skin on. It looked disgusting and they had the affront to say it was supposed to be like that as haddock needs it's skin on. What, go to any decent chip shop or even a rubbish one and you'll never get the skin on. Chips were frozen not hand cut or hand made as advertised. The kids fish is frozen Findus like fish. If you are frying fish, why not just do the kids the same but smaller.

If you enjoy your food, STEER WELL CLEAR of this place. The location is amazing, but that's no excuse for serving the muck we were subjected to. They gave us the kids desserts for free and 10% off as way of an apology. If they'd give us the meal for free it would still have been a rip off as it put a damp squib at the end of what had been a great holiday.

The only reason they've got 1 star is because zero stars isn't an option. Tip for the place, stop hiring cheap foreign staff. Try hiring a CHEF who know's what they are doing. My 4 year old has better cookery skills than were on show. Needless to say, won't be back.

1  Thank paulcu