“Truly Truly Awful”
Review of Traveller's Rest

Traveller's Rest
Ranked #14 of 44 Restaurants in Grasmere
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: This is already listed as an Inn/B&B but I want to write a review for the food only, as I just had a meal there.
ramsbottom
“Truly Truly Awful”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We went here for an early evening meal on Saturday 13th July as this was our last night of a great weeks stay at Skelwith fold. What a truly awful way to end a great week.

The menu reads great, if only the food on the plate was anything like it reads.

Myself and my wife shared a starter of Ham Terrine with Piccalli and ermmm, Artisan bread.

That was actually quite good apart from the salad having Heinz salad cream all over it (why not buy a decent dressing from Booths if you can't be bothered to make one) and the Artisan bread was just a normal white bloomer. Ordered a decent bottle of red which they didn't have. Nothing majorly bad so far so I suspect the terrine and piccalilli were bought in.

THEN THE MAINS. Truly disgusting. Looked and tasted like a dogs dinner. I ordered a lamb shank with spring onion mash with roasted vegetables and a red wine and rosemary jus. Every lamb shank I've ever eaten has been slow cooked and falls off the bone. This was as tough as old boots, I really struggled to cut through it as it had obviously been roasted quickly. The mash was submerged, and I mean underwater, below a watery greasy brown liquid that tasted of watery Bovril. No hint of red wine and definitely no rosemary. The mash contained no spring onions, they cut a few bits of spring onion all over the plate. There was no roasted veg (which I love) just boiled bits of broccoli and carrots that were not even served separately, just plonked in the brown soup floating on top. After attempting to eat two forkfuls I sent it back and got a very average steak and kidney pudding with hand cut homemade chips..............That's what they say on the menu, they were frozen horrible chips.

The wife ordered the fish in beer batter with hand cut homemade chips, she got the worst homemade batter she's ever eaten. Not fluffy, and soggy in the middle. The fish inside was soggy and still had it's black skin on. It looked disgusting and they had the affront to say it was supposed to be like that as haddock needs it's skin on. What, go to any decent chip shop or even a rubbish one and you'll never get the skin on. Chips were frozen not hand cut or hand made as advertised. The kids fish is frozen Findus like fish. If you are frying fish, why not just do the kids the same but smaller.

If you enjoy your food, STEER WELL CLEAR of this place. The location is amazing, but that's no excuse for serving the muck we were subjected to. They gave us the kids desserts for free and 10% off as way of an apology. If they'd give us the meal for free it would still have been a rip off as it put a damp squib at the end of what had been a great holiday.

The only reason they've got 1 star is because zero stars isn't an option. Tip for the place, stop hiring cheap foreign staff. Try hiring a CHEF who know's what they are doing. My 4 year old has better cookery skills than were on show. Needless to say, won't be back.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank paulcu

Barnsley, United Kingdom
“A great bar manager - spectacular views”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

This is a fine refuelling spot after a day walking. The beer is well kept, the food is competently cooked. The bar manager was an enthusiastic welcoming man who was definitely the highlight of our visit. I would not recommend this pub as a destination experience, but if you are passing, you could do worse than drop in - did I say the views are great!

Visited June 2013
Pocklington, United Kingdom
“Nice lunch shame about the waiter!!”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We had a very family nice lunch and all enjoyed our food which was well presented and tasty but it was spoilt by the waiter who looked down his nose at the mess our two year old grandaughter had made on the floor - we of course cleared it up before we left as we would always do. Such a pity our visit was spoilt as the young lady who served us was lovely and we had over looked the dreadful state of the ladies loo!!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank SueandAndy55
Livingston, United Kingdom
“Beer Good - Food Average”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I went here to get a flavour of a Lakeland pub and in truth the service was good, the beer was good but the food was disappointing. It tasted like it had been micro-waved and I expected better. That said the waiting staff were very good and if I wanted to stop for a beer I'd go in again but based on this first experience I'd give their cooked food a miss. Maybe I caught the chef on an off night.

Visited June 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne
“Excellent value for money - a cosy pub”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Ten of us had a super meal - all choosing from different menus, some with starters and others with puddings. The service was good and very friendly. Compared to other Lakes pubs/restaurants, Travellers Rest is excellent value for money. One special menu offers 3 courses for £15.95 (with choices). I'm glad I missed out on the starter because I was full to bursting after the steak & chips and the crumble pudding. There's also a good choice of beers at a fairly reasonable price for this area.

• Visited May 2013