“Beer Good - Food Average”
Review of Traveller's Rest

Traveller's Rest
Ranked #14 of 44 Restaurants in Grasmere
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Scenic view, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: This is already listed as an Inn/B&B but I want to write a review for the food only, as I just had a meal there.
Livingston, United Kingdom
“Beer Good - Food Average”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I went here to get a flavour of a Lakeland pub and in truth the service was good, the beer was good but the food was disappointing. It tasted like it had been micro-waved and I expected better. That said the waiting staff were very good and if I wanted to stop for a beer I'd go in again but based on this first experience I'd give their cooked food a miss. Maybe I caught the chef on an off night.

Visited June 2013

Newcastle upon Tyne
“Excellent value for money - a cosy pub”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Ten of us had a super meal - all choosing from different menus, some with starters and others with puddings. The service was good and very friendly. Compared to other Lakes pubs/restaurants, Travellers Rest is excellent value for money. One special menu offers 3 courses for £15.95 (with choices). I'm glad I missed out on the starter because I was full to bursting after the steak & chips and the crumble pudding. There's also a good choice of beers at a fairly reasonable price for this area.

• Visited May 2013
“Tasty grub”
Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

After a long drive to the lakes, we checked into our bnb close by and set off in search of food. The pub was within walking distance, lovely and cosy inside. Good service, smiley waitress and tasty food. Definitely recommend.

• Visited May 2013
Bakewell, United Kingdom
“Just what we wanted”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Staying close by and so did not want to travel all the way into Grasmere. I doubt that w would have found a better menu, better beer or better service. Exceeded all expectations. Prices much more reasonable than I had feared. Amost pleasant experience in every respect.

Visited April 2013
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Good, but could be better”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I have eaten here a few times in the past few years; our most recent visit was on Easter Sunday. My boyfriend and I opted for the Sunday dinner menu which I recall was around £12 for three courses, which is an absolute bargain in the Lakes nowadays.

The food was nice and the service was super efficient but there just seems to be a little something lacking.

A glance at the rest of the menu makes me think that the pub can't quite figure out where to place itself - is it a 'gastro' pub or is it just a 'hearty, pub grub' place? At present, it is sort of somewhere in the middle, and I imagine I would have been a little disappointed if I was paying the full prices for food outside of the deal.

Saying that, I do think it has potential, and much better than some of the other places in the area. Plus at a certain time, there is a gorgeous view of the sun going down behind the Lion and Lamb across the road.

• Visited March 2013