“It just gets better......”
Review of Oak Bank Hotel

and 1 more site!
Oak Bank Hotel
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
Reviewed February 20, 2014

First visit 6 months ago was superb. So keen to get back and make sure it was as good as we remembered. It was, and even better! The food gets all the plaudits and quite right too. But the owners and the staff are very hospitable and ensure that you have a comfortable and enjoyable stay. It's firmly my favourite hotel now and hopefully my wife and I will get back there soon.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paul S

Reviewed February 20, 2014

I have stayed in Grasmere several times. This stay represented the best value for money you could possibly achieve in the village. Our room was not tiny. Our room was clean with freshly made shortbread and complimentary water and sherry. Dinner, bed and breakfast is assumed and the standard of food is so high that you would probably pay more for that alone in any city centre restaurant and indeed in many establishments in this locality let alone for your entire stay. The menu is complimented with canapés, intermediate taster courses and a variety of excellent breads. The portions are hearty and filling, perfectly balanced to allow you to actually eat them all without exploding. Any review on here stating otherwise is just plain wrong. I ordered pork. It was equal to anything "Michelin" rated that I have eaten. Breakfast is equally delicious. I went for smoked haddock and poached egg freshly cooked with some assorted toast after the fresh fruit muesli and orange juice. A very nice start to the day. Imagine my delight when charged £143 for this entire experience for TWO people. The question is, how long can a hotel keep charging so little for so much! Be sure to visit Tweedies bar down the road for the bat of three ales and your stay will be complete.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

We spent a couple of days here for a significant anniversary; to be honest the decision was made by Jay Rayner's rave review of The Dining Room.
The food here is a delight, irreverent deconstructions of classic dishes matched by almost perfect execution.
This is meaty fare from a short understated menu with prices almost unbelievably low for the quality of the cooking. The wine list is good, fairly short, and also excellent value. And the service is relaxed, informal, and attentive.
It was almost impossible to find any fault here. Maybe the pannacotta was a tiny bit too stiff? Oh, be careful if you ask for a glass of Kir, I think they were going to make it with blackcurrant syrup before I changed my mind!
Truly excellent food. And the hotel is nice too.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jujutu
OakBankHotel, Owner at Oak Bank Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Thank you jujutu for posting an excellent review of Oak Bank. We are glad you enjoyed your stay, particularly the food. The Crème de Cassis Liqueur we use for Kir is on the left side of the top shelf but does share space up there with some syrups…?

Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is perfectly situated and it's team are perfectly welcoming, accommodating, and helpful.
An ideal place for a short break to mix the beautiful scenery and local hikes with excellent food. Walk up an appetite in the fells and come back to a first class exquisite menu.
I've been before and will go definitely be there again.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stuart W
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Highly recommended by our dearest friends, who had stayed at Oak Bank and they returned with my husband and I for a couple of nights stay. I have a mobility problem so I rang the owners before confirming the booking. They were so reassuring and we were not disappointed. We booked a Superior Room on the 1st floor -- 6A which was wonderful and it looked out onto the main road. It was very cosy and the bed was amazingly comfortable. We were made to feel very welcome and nothing was too much trouble. We had pre-dinner drinks in front of the log fire while we chose from the amazing menu. The food is amazing with so much detail and the different tastes were second to none. After dinner, we also enjoyed coffee and more drinks in front of the log fire which was a wonderful end to the evening. Our sincere thanks to the staff who made our stay in Oak Bank so enjoyable and relaxing. I'm sure we will return again soon.

Room Tip: Room looking out on the road and the lovely views is lovely
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 6, 2014

My husband and I have recently returned from a couple of nights stay at Oak Bank. Once again they never disappoint. The food in the restaurant is amazing and certainly earns the title of 'fine dining'. The hotel is very comfortable and is a wonderful place to retreat to after a good days walking and then the wonderful food in the restaurant completes the day. Thanks glynis for looking after us, I'm sure we'll see you again soon.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sue B
Reviewed February 4, 2014

First time we've stayed at Oak Bank Hotel. What a great place to stay. You feel very welcome from the moment you are greeted at the door. We stayed in a Superior room which looked onto the main road and found it cosy, quiet and spacious. The decanter of sherry and home made shortbread was a nice change to the standard fare you get in other hotels. The public areas are great to relax in too, whether you've just finished a big walk or just to read a book in. The log fire gives the space a homely feel and the staff are unobtrusive but always on hand if you need
a cup of tea or some local ales from the bar. I recommend the Collie Wobbles.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa
#5 of 14 in Grasmere
Macdonald Swan Hotel
Macdonald Swan Hotel
#9 of 14 in Grasmere

Been to Oak Bank Hotel? Share your experiences!