“Great Find”
Review of Grand at Grasmere

Grand at Grasmere
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I was recommended to this hotel by a friend who I suspected would not stay anywhere other than first rate and was not disappointed.
Set by the lake in the centre of Grasmere our room had a great view onto the lake at the rear of the hotel. The whole hotel was smart and well furnished with nothing having that worn look that often comes with hotels in this area.
We were on a B&B basis but chose to eat dinner in the hotel each evening as the food quality and choice was so good. Breakfast was excellent and not buffet so was freshly cooked and hot when it arrived.
We stayed just before Christmas as the hotel was closing for the holiday and benefited from only a small number of guests staying and it was almost like having a private house with very attentive
staff! All the staff here seem to be very well trained and are a pleasure to deal with.
I was astounded that our beds had been made while we were having breakfast each day which is apparently usual in this hotel.
This is one of the nicest small hotels I have stayed in recently and I suspect that even when full is very pleasant. We will certainly be back

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Trevor A
There are newer reviews for Grand at Grasmere

Reviewed December 10, 2013

Had two day solo walking break staying at the Gold Rill Hotel and I have got to say that this is by far the best place I have stayed , from a warm welcome from Lorraine on the desk and a friendly chat with the owner to the excellent staff , was made to feel at home , fellow guests were a nice bunch of people too , food was excellent fillet steak the best meal in a month of Sundays , the Gold Rill is situated in a great location with the start of a lot of walks on your doorstep and I have got to say you see the best views at all angles from this great location, my room number 23 could not be better upgraded to it at no extra cost single to a double well decorated and snug and warm, I have stayed in all manner of accomodation in THE BEAUTIFUL GRASMERE but was made to feel at home at the Gold Rill Ten out of Ten returning asap.

Room Tip: The food at the Gold Rill is as good or better than most of the top places to eat within loacatio...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Roy C
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I'll say it again: you simply cannot beat a privately owned & run hotel for service & attention to detail and the Gold Rill delivers both in spades.

Location first: Grasmere is in the heart of the Lake District & the Gold Rill is just off the main street of Grasmere (2/3 minutes walk), so one is surrounded by the beautiful Lakeland fells, close to Grasmere & Rydal lakes, with Keswick, Ambleside, Windermere, all within easy reach. And there are lots of great walks which start from Grasmere, so you can always just leave your car on the hotel carpark & simply set-off. In short, the hotel is in a perfect location, with stunning views from all aspects.

The hotel has well maintained grounds, complete with small putting green (& an outdoor pool for summer) & plenty of parking. On the ground floor is the dining room, which has lots of windows to show-off the views, plus a comfortable country-house style lounge with open fire, settees & armchairs, also a small bar & then another more modern lounge in the conservatory. All these rooms are comfortable & well maintained.

Our bedroom was in the main hotel, but there are some rooms in a separate building just across the garden. All the bedrooms are apparently different, both in size, shape & decor, and obviously the views will vary too. We had a good-sized double room on the 1st floor. Very comfortable bed, plenty of space for clothes/luggage, 2 armchairs in a small recess, excellent shower (a bath too - nice to have a soak after a day's walking & there was always plenty of piping hot water). The room was very clean (as everywhere in the hotel) & well maintained. As regards the view from our room, well the room has 2 windows, one of which has a small window-seat & looks out across a field to Grasmere Lake, so that's lovely. The 2nd window has no immediate view to speak of but then one discovers - lie in bed & look through the window facing & you look at the fells, so imagine waking-up to that on a fine morning!

Food next.
Breakfast: there is everything you would expect on the buffet, but the main thing is that all the hot food is cooked as you order, so it's hot & fresh. Ditto the toast & the tea or coffee (bliss not to be presented with stewed coffee, or the jug of lukewarm water with separate teabag to put in cup as a misrepresentation for tea!!).

Lunch: there's a good selection of "bar food" served in the bar/ conservatory at lunch time.

Dinner: there's a daily-changing menu with choice + a small a la carte menu. The daily changing menu has 3 choices of starter, 4 of main (1 vegetarian), 3 of desert (with cheese & biscuits or fresh fruit as extra options every night). The starters in particular can be quite innovative, which I like to see because it adds to the interest to try something new. The main courses are more traditional - as would expect for an English country hotel - but there were small modern twists on some of the dishes. Lastly, the deserts; these ARE all made in the hotel kitchen, which seems to be fairly unusual these days - I find that a lot of kitchens buy-in deserts & they're not half as nice as freshly made ones. So if you get a meringue at the Gold Rill it won't shoot all over the place when you try to get your spoon in cos it's only got a thin crisp outer shell, and inside it's all gooey, just as meringue should be! Starters & deserts in particular all looked really good on the plate, which is important because for me half of the appeal of food is through the eyes.

Although there is choice on the daily changing menu, I found that the kitchen is really helpful and if you want something different, or one of the dishes changing slightly (eg no sauce, different sauce, something like that), then ask. Similarly, I heard 1 or 2 guests asking for changes for dietary reasons & the kitchen seemed able to accommodate that too.

Oh, portions are substantial by the way!

I see that there have been some comments from others about the speed of service at dinner. Yes, I noticed that it could be fast, but I guess some people like it that way, whilst others want to take longer; I'm a slow eater so service had to go at my pace anyway, but if I wanted a slight break between say the main course & pudding then I just asked for that and I think that's the answer - it's your meal, so go at your speed.

Finally, we found all the staff to be very polite & helpful & friendly - this applied across the board, ie reception, bar, dining room; you feel that staff want you to enjoy your stay & so they do all they can to make your stay happy & comfortable, and any problems are addressed immediately. (As I said at the start of this review, we have found this to be the case at all the many privately owned/run hotels we have stayed in- it's the big difference between private & the chains.)

To sum up: the Gold Rill is a small friendly hotel, in a beautiful setting, providing a comfortable relaxed environment for a break in the wonderful Lake District, with appetising freshly cooked food & a comfortable bed to look forward to after a day's walking (or possibly a day spent battling the elements!!).

Incidentally, I see that a couple of reviewers have commented on the age of other guests; well, I'm not sure that it is really appropriate to pass such comments - are older people to be segregated for holidays? And in school time, what age group is likely to be going on holiday? Those without school-age children of course, so I would imagine that all hotels will have mainly "older" guests during the school term. But in any event, there were some youngish(!) people staying when we were there + I have stayed before with family including a child and it was fine - the hotel can cater for babies/ children & we were all made to feel most welcome. So don't let such comments put you off.

Room Tip: Best to contact the hotel to find out which rooms are available where, because some rooms are in a s...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JandJLancs
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Another great break at The Gold Rill. The strength of this hotel is its consistency, it does not try and change for change sake. It provides comfortable clean accomodation and good food in a beautiful part of the lakes.
The staff are excellent and could not be bettered anywhere. They are attentive, polite, well trained and above all flexible in the extreem.

2  Thank Dave A
Reviewed October 18, 2013

We stayed at the hotel earlier this year for just one night and were so impressed that we booked a slightly longer stay this time. Reception, bar and restaurant service was excellent and the lounge area is quite delightful. Canapes are served before dinner and it is nice to see that apart from the set menu (with choices for each course) there is also a limited a la carte menu. Our bedroom was most comfortable and a slight problem we had with the bathroom plumbing was rectified with immediate action. Nice to stay at an hotel with ample parking and where private functions and weddings are not accepted.

1  Thank IndabaYork
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Spent a very pleasant break here in Grasmere.

On the positive side this hotel is in a beautiful location and very handy to the village. The cooked part of breakfast is among the best we had tasted anywhere so well done for that. And every day it was piping hot - well done! And the staff are all very pleasant and helpful - a special word of commendation to Agnes! The hotel is spotless and very well maintained everywhere including our room. And the bed was very comfortable & the room warm with constant hot water.

On the negative side - our Superior room was very nice - well maintained -if a little 1980's!! But it was situated in a "lodge" (the house next door has been converted) and we felt we were living in someone's front room - not a hotel. More like self catering. And the fact you have to cross the lawn or go onto the road in the rain (umbrellas are provided) to go for breakfast was not pleasant.
We also ate in the restaurant on one evening and felt extremely rushed - we went through four courses in 35mins! Mind you the service was very very quick! The hotel seems to have a high staff per guest ration .The food was not really to our taste but to be fair others must like it as the dining room was very busy.

Couple irritations - they ran out Marmalade on our second morning - not a problem at all but there was still none the next day. Now I don't use it so it did not bother me but other guests were annoyed and I sort of thought that someone could have gone out to the village and bought some to have on hand for those guests for whom it is important at breakfast. And I asked twice for some rolls or croissants (the basket was empty) and neither person returned to say yes or no. Pity because the service was otherwise good.
Final comment - this hotel does seem to attract guests of a mature age most of whom seem to have been coming for many many years - we are not young but felt the hotel does definitely cater for an older age group.

Would we return - perhaps : for the location & the breakfast but would want to stay in the hotel preferably.

2  Thank mcguireronald
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Stayed many times over previous years, so must have picked a bad weekend.
Wrote to owner re poor quality of food , staff not understanding requirements, not able to prepare drinks properly and in served in wrong glasses. attitude of senior staff, apart from receptionist and head waiter at breakfast who were both great.
we did recieve an apologetic reply, although he was not there that weekend, otherwise we would have spoken to him directly. From his short letter we understand that he is going to "revise" training! At this time would not recommend, but has he states in his letter, he feels that they "generally" fulfil guests expectations!!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends