“Brilliant”
Review of Miller Howe Cafe - CLOSED

Miller Howe Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: The Miller Howe Cafe is a traditional cafe which celebrates the 'back to basics' approach. Having recently undergone refurbishment, the interior is a wonderfully relaxed environment where you can enjoy traditional, home-cooked fare. From the quiche of the day to an array of jacket potatoes or homemade cakes - there is something for everyone!
Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

I went to miller Howe cafe last week with my family, the service was brilliant as well as the food. Great coffee and I'll definitely go again!

queensheadtroutbeck, Manager at Miller Howe Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2014

Thanks JSBla! Great comments like yours keep the smiles on our faces!

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Having assumed this was an offshoot of the wonderful Miller Howe hotel I decided to treat myself. I shouldn't have bothered. On entering , I was disappointed by the clinical minimalist decor and the fact that it was counter service, but decided to give it a go. I ordered a cappuccino and a coffee cake. The coffee looked and tasted like it had come out of a vending machine and into a tiny thick white mug, such as you might get in a B and B . The cake had seen better days- dry and stale, with icing that was cracked. The staff were friendly although I think they should have their coffee break out of sight of customers . On the plus side there was wifi. To be honest, I've had better at a motorway service station. What a shame!

1  Thank welshcake1
queensheadtroutbeck, Manager at Miller Howe Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

The coffee machine is a fully automated, state of the art coffee machine which serves coffee to an excellent standard. We buy coffee locally from a firm called Farrers who pride themselves on quality. As a coffee drinker myself, I feel that I am quite a good judge when it comes to coffee and maybe it is not to your flavour, but we can't get much more locally roasted beans from a local firm.
The cafe is not minimalistic, it is clean fresh and well kept. And that's what we are - a cafe! We sell rolls, cakes and traditional home fare. We are exactly what we say on our menu and what our prices should show people and dictate to them. If you want waitress service and the old-fashioned country house style of cake and coffee, that's where you need to go to and that's what you need to pay for. Thanks for your comments.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

We needed a pick-up from the cold, wet weather, and this cafe provided it. Splendid selection of cakes to have with a good cup of coffee. Friendly, helpful staff. Heating only partly on - could have done with being a bit warmer, but a good experience.

queensheadtroutbeck, Manager at Miller Howe Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Thanks for your comments - we are glad we managed to pick you after from the cold and wet. We are trying to perfect our rain dance, but it hasn't paid off yet!

Reviewed February 4, 2014

Visited Grasmere on Sunday Morning as part of a coach trip, as the rain threatened we went inside this lovely spotlessly clean eatery and were in awe at the lovely cakes on offer. All 7 of us had drinks and cakes, the scones were freshly made and some of the best I have tasted, my friends said the lemon meringues were delicious and the slices were huge. Would definitely recommend it and we will visit again when in the area.

1  Thank siatermaria
queensheadtroutbeck, Manager at Miller Howe Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Thanks siatermaria! We make all of our cakes fresh on site, so our very own master baker will be delighted to hear your comments!
We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

Stopped here for refreshments after a days walk in the rain. Toasted tea cake was nice but the blackcurrant pie was to die for!
Also, the cafe has a fee WiFi facility.

It is great to hear how much you enjoyed our blackcurrent pie! Hopefully it made up for the rainy day!