“A class act”

The Wordsworth Hotel and Spa
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

First impressions count a lot reception was first class. Shown to my room which lived up to it's description it was a 4 poster and very comfortable. The bathroom was on the small side but very clean and well presented. Service in the resturant was first class the menu had something to suit everyone and it was delivered expertly. Would I go back without a doubt one word superb.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank HexhamTraveller
GrasmereWordsworth, General Manager at The Wordsworth Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Dear HexhamTraveller, Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope to see you again soon. With kind regards, Geraldine.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,288)

Reviewed February 7, 2013

I was at the Wordsworth with friends we were only in the Dove Bistro it was acold day and the log fire was blazing away it was great,the food is very good with generous portrions,the staff were superb i thourougly recommend this place.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kovwirana
GrasmereWordsworth, General Manager at The Wordsworth Hotel and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2013

Dear kovwirana, Thanks so much for posting this great review for us. I hope we see you again in the future. With kindest regards, Geraldine.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Excellent hotel, great staff, lovely warm feel with a real open roaring fire, especially when it was blizzard outside. Great mountain view from our room. Pool and hot tub next to each other, only thing is that to enter sauna you have to exit changing rooms back into main corridor then need to have code for the changing room door to get back to pool and changing rooms. Otherwise everything was perfect from room size to hotel cleanliness. Will certainly return.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bigmackem

Dear bigmackem, Thanks for preparing and posting your review. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future. With kind regards, Geraldine.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Stayed for two nights on special offer village room bed and breakfast. Rooms very spacious with modern feel. Breakfast lovely buffet cold service followed by cooked breakfast served by staff .location is central to all the lakes. We eat at the hotel on our 1st eve again wonderful service & meal excellent. Try the jumble restaurant a little quirky decor wise but food terrific. I would recommend this wonderful hotel in the lake district.

• Stayed: January 2013
4  Thank Thebirches

Dear Thebirches, Thanks so much for such a great review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope we see you again in the future, with kind regards, Geraldine.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Very good hotel, with quality and caring staff. An old building with welcoming public rooms for relaxing. As it was January there was a comforting open fire to enjoy at any time of the day. The pool was big enough for exercise as well as just a gentle paddle and hot tub to the side. Again although it was part covered by snow the garden area with gazebo and seating area is no doubt very attractive in the summer. We had a double bed ( Room 9 ) which was quiet and of a reasonable size. Bathroom was of standard consistent with a 4* hotel. The breakfast choice was very good and well presented, as was dinner in both the main restaurant and at adjoining Dove restaurant. All of the staff, from reception to restaurant, were personable and interested in helping the customers.

Room Tip: Our room on second floor and was very good but cant offer and help with others.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Phil_Owen

Dear Phil_Owen, Such a great review, thank you for taking the time to do this. I do hope we see you again in the future. With kind regards, Geraldine.

Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for my birthday and I was really looking forward to a good meal. I'm vegetarian and so I know my options are usually limited, but when we arrived the lady on reception said that, if I asked the chef to cook something, then he probably would. The vegetarian option was pasta which I thought might have been a little boring and so I asked for risotto ( which was on the sample menu in our room) or a goats cheese option which had been on the lunchtime menu or anything else. I was told there was no way chef could do this and so I said I'd have the pasta. When it arrived, it was swimming in oil and was utterly bland. I was so disappointed because the room was lovely and the staff polite and friendly. It really spoiled my birthday weekend.

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear EMc75, Thank you so much for taking the time to prepare and post your review. I am so sorry you were not satisfied with your choice on vegetarian items. I understand we did offer and you accepted a compensatory gesture from us when you checked out. Notwithstanding this, all feedback is most welcome and is always used in a constructive way, so we will absolutely take on board your comments. I do hope we will see you again in the future. With kind regards, Geraldine.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

My wedding at the Wordsworth Hotel December 22, 2012, was truly magical. We got engaged in August 2012 and did not want a prolonged engagement spending 3 years deciding on wedding favours! I love Grasmere and knew of the Wordsworth Hotel though I had never been inside. We took a risk and booked it for a December exclusive-use winter wedding, and without doubt it was the best decision we could have made! The hotel is beautiful, particularly so in the winter with tasteful Christmas decorations, trees and the roaring log fire in the reception.

The public rooms are relaxed yet very stylish. The bedrooms (we had one of the suites) are stunning, and our guests appreciated that we put them -up in such comfortable surroundings and many made us of the pool and spa.

The Wordsworth staff are excellent: the wedding planner is permanently calm and so accommodating. Everything is taken care of – they are a well oiled professional team, which takes the stress away.

The wedding breakfast food was stunning. I am a vegetarian and have eaten in many top restaurants, and I have to say the four-course meal that was served was the best I have ever eaten: completely stunning. It felt like restaurant food of a very high standard, not your usual cold, uninspired wedding fodder. All my guests were really delighted with the food, and breakfast the following day did not disappoint. The service in the restaurant was also top-notch – these are professionals who clearly take pride in their job and it shows.

All told I can not rate the Wordsworth highly enough. I am not someone who has dreamed of a wedding since the age of 5, but if I had the Wordsworth would have it! I have had so many cards saying that it was the loveliest and most relaxed wedding they had been to – largely down to the staff and their attitude.

I am also looking forward to many more visits to the Wordsworth over the years because it is such a special place.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Julia B

Dear Julia B, It was an absolute pleasure to look after you all! The success of an event is also influenced by great guests who make it easy All the best again and it will be lovely to see you back in the future. With kindest regards, Geraldine.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa
#9 of 14 in Grasmere
Rothay Garden Hotel
Rothay Garden Hotel
#5 of 14 in Grasmere

Been to The Wordsworth Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!