“Good value B&B”
Review of How Foot Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grasmere
How Foot Lodge
Ranked #8 of 20 Grasmere B&B and Inns
England
“Good value B&B”
Reviewed March 12, 2009

Stayed in a standard double for two nights. The house has lots of character and is well apportioned just of the main road into Grasmere with plenty of parking. The B&B sits right next to the Wordsworth cottage with Grasmere town centre only a 5 min walk away. Booking the B&B was easy over the phone but as booking confirmation is not sent out I'd recommend you ask the owners to email this to avoid double booking errors.

The room we stayed in was large and roomy with a view over the lake. The room was very clean but was starting to show signs of wear and could desperately do with a revamp. Bathroom was also large and consisted of shower over a bath, note that only a bar of soap is provided so don't forget to pack your shampoo! The bathroom could also do with an extractor fan as it got very steamy.

Breakfasts were fine, I'd recommend the continental with was very enjoyable. However, steer clear of the poached eggs as these are like bullets. The breakfast room is also pleasant with a log file on the go on those chilly mornings. The price being charged for the room was also reasonable and the establishment represents good value if that's what you are looking for.

• Stayed February 2009
2 Thank bluenose7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Barnsley England
Reviewed October 1, 2008

We chose the room with the 'Sun lounge'. The bedroom area was big enough to accommodate a double bed two large chairs and still enough space to swing a cat. There is also a hallway in which to put cases etc. The room was tastefully decorated and warm which is important after a day on a wet fellside. The breakfasts were very good and served by Kate who was really nice.
Overall I can strongly recommend this guest house to anyone who is looking for a quiet break in this beautiful part of the country.

One final point, Kate's husband Mike is the owner of the Villa Columbine which is just down the road from the Lodge... if you like Italian food then treat yourself, we did !!!!!

• Liked — Ideal for what we wanted
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
liverpool
Reviewed July 28, 2008

This was our second stay at How Foot - again absolutely perfect.
Kate was friendly and helpful and Mike cooked great breakfasts.Stayed in room 3 this time ,with a lovely comfortable bed , and great view to Helm Crag. Breakfasts were tasty, wonderful fresh fruit salad and home-made marmalade. Being a regular visitor to Grasmere - now we have found this hotel - we would not stay anywhere else !!!!!!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Not a thing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2008

How Foot Lodge Grasmere: Second visit to this B&B definately not the last, didn't think they could improve on our last visit, but they have. We stayed in the new deluxe suite and it was a definate "WOW" Cant fault the place Kate & Mike are wonderful hosts not intrusive but always on hand if needed. We ate at the Italian next door again and we received the same warm welcome as if we had been in there every day, they are wonderful and the food is beautiful only trouble is I never have enough room for the full three courses. I feel I shouldnt be singing their praises as its already hard getting in unless you book in advance perhaps I should keep is secret and all to myself. Thankyou again for lovely time see in the not too distant future I hope

Thank H.Hesketh
Tynemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 3, 2008

My husband and I stayed in the delux double over the May bank holiday weekend. On arrival we were greeted by Kate who is a lovely, friendly lady but not intrusive. We were shown to our room which was very large, clean, comfortable and romantic with a lovely sun lounge.
The breakfasts were excellent and set us up for the day.
We had our evening meals at Villa Colombina which is located next door to How Foot Lodge. The food is the best Italian we have ever tasted and the staff were all very friendly.
Grasmere is a beautiful village with lots of coffee shops, restaurants and shops. There are numerous walks that can be done right from the guest house and we never used our car while we were there. It was our first visit to How Foot Lodge but it will definatley not be our last. Thank you Kate for looking after us and making our break so special and relaxing.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Newcastle UK
Reviewed April 23, 2008

We like to stay in Grasmere and have now found an excellent good value, quality guest house that accepts our wee doggy! We ended up with the last room and it was a twin, but what a big room and a great view of Silver How from the window. Everthing that you'd expect was in the room and as an added bonus as a little fridge to keep drinks cold. Even though you we only 25 metres from the main road it was very quiet. The breakfast was excellent and you had to choose what you wanted the night before, which we thought was a good idea. There was a good cross section of guests, a family of four and two other couples of varying ages. We would definately go back and would reccommend it to others.

• Stayed April 2008
1 Thank BrownAle
Liverpool
Reviewed April 13, 2008

My review is somewhat tardy as it has been some weeks since my delightful visit to How Foot Lodge.

It was a spontaneous break away. I simply took the train to Windermere and then a bus direct to Grasmere - virtually stopping right outside of How Foot Lodge.

I sometimes envy folk who can rough it in unkempt and plain accomodation. I'm not like that however. Where I stay is extremely important to me, as is good and friendly service. Therefore, I was not disappointed with How Foot Lodge. I don't wish for grandeur or palatial but words like warm, atmospheric, ambient, unique, welcoming, tasteful, safe, clean, crisp and homely are all adjectives I want to be able to use when describing my accomodation. How Foot has all of the above.

As a young female who does a lot of travelling alone I'm quite sensitive to the "feel" of a place very quickly. In How Foot Lodge, I just knew within moments of being shown to my room (I heartily recommend the room with sun lounge)by the lovely Kate that all was going to be well. It felt home from home.

Kate is a delightful hostess. Ever helpful and obliging but never intrusive. Kate has been at this long enough to know when you may want to come and go quietly.

My 3 or 4 days at How Foot and Grasmere will be with me always I think. It came at just the right time and I left no longer feeling overwhelmed with life but rather invigorated and inspired by it.

You can scamper up and down scenic hills, meander around the breathtaking lake, sit quietly in a whole plethora of both quaint and modern tea rooms/coffee shops or peruse through the gorgeous few shops that Grasmere as to offer. As small as Grasmere is (which I much prefer) it truly has the best of all worlds.

Did I mention Kate's fabulous breakfast's by a roaring coal fire on a cold and crisp morning? The delighful Italian restaurant next door? (also owned by Mike and Kate) The tasteful decor? Clean, clean rooms? Oh and the small detail of a man from the tourist board arriving unannounced for a night whilst I was there? Was he happy with his stay? Of course he was!

Thank you Kate and Mike! Thank you Grasmere! Your many, many satisfied guests down through the years speak volumes! Well done!

• Stayed March 2008, traveled solo