“Excellent guided tour”

Dove Cottage
Ranked #5 of 20 things to do in Grasmere
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: William Wordsworth is Britain's best-loved poet. His life was a series of adventures and his early experiences made him into a rebel. Orphaned as a child, he went to University, travelled across Europe during the French Revolution, fell in love with an older French woman and then returned to turn English literature on its head with his radical ideas and poems in language that anyone could understand. He moved to Dove Cottage in 1799 and stayed for nine years, writing some of the most famous poetry in the English language, inspired by the landscape and the people he met. Visitors can take guided tours of Dove Cottage, wander in the gardens he designed and planted with his sister and discover his incredible life story in the museum next door (included in admission). Special exhibitions change regularly and family activities are integrated into the experience, with family friendly events during the school holidays.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator
Essex
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Excellent guided tour”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

This was my second visit to Dove Cottage. It is tiny but very evocative and our guide was very informative.

• Korean first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Excellent guide! very informative!”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Frankly, I really didn't want to visit this cottage, since it's so popular with foreign tourists. However, a careful system of timed tickets ensures that you don't get mown down in the stampede. The guide was really excellent, selecting the most salient and funniest anecdotes about Wordsworth and his numerous entourage to keep us engaged. By the end I was won over and was delighted that I'd had my arm twisted into going, especially when I saw the garden.. On entering the gift shop, however, I was dismayed to discover that they were selling "Knit Your Own Dove Cottage" outfits, which was perhaps the reason for my earlier reluctance to follow the herd! Afterwards we visited the museum which has a number of excellent portraits of Wordworth and his contemporaries, with sufficient videos and material to keep aficionados of the poet engrossed for hours.

Haslemere, Surrey
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Think I would have been disappointed if we had needed to pay but as we are National Trust members entry was free. The guided tour took around twenty minutes and was interesting and informative. The gardens were rather uninspiring but perhaps being kept in a traditional manner. You feel that you have to visit the house but it was not particularly memorable

Visited August 2013
WordsworthTrust, Public Relations Manager at Dove Cottage, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Hi Dawn,

I just wanted to be sure that you are reviewing the right place! Dove Cottage is not a National Trust property - it is owned by The Wordsworth, an independent charity. You wouldn't have got free entry with your National Trust membership. The gardens you describe don't sound like Dove Cottage garden, which is anything but traditional.
Hereford, United Kingdom
“Historically worth a visit.”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Although not cheap to visit I certainly appreciated the very knowlegeable tour guide who impressed with her general information about both Wordsworth and the historical period that he lived in. My only complaint was that our tour was being followed by a large group of overseas visitors who were obviously being rushed through the house and therefore we felt rushed too!

Cape Town, South Africa
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“I wondered...”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Being a bid Wordsworth fan I absolutely loved my visit to Dove Cottage. My friends left me there and I met up with them later in Ambleside as I could not get enough.

Very detailed, great tour and lots of info about his life and work.

Not to be missed!