“beautiful”

Dove Cottage
Ranked #4 of 20 things to do in Grasmere
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: William Wordsworth is Britain's best-loved poet. His life was a series of adventures and his early experiences made him into a rebel. Orphaned as a child, he went to University, travelled across Europe during the French Revolution, fell in love with an older French woman and then returned to turn English literature on its head with his radical ideas and poems in language that anyone could understand. He moved to Dove Cottage in 1799 and stayed for nine years, writing some of the most famous poetry in the English language, inspired by the landscape and the people he met. Visitors can take guided tours of Dove Cottage, wander in the gardens he designed and planted with his sister and discover his incredible life story in the museum next door (included in admission). Special exhibitions change regularly and family activities are integrated into the experience, with family friendly events during the school holidays.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
essex uk
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“beautiful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

I visited Dove house many years ago. My children and husband weren't at all interested in going in as they knew nothing of William Wordsworth and the £5 entrance fee at the time didn't go down too well. I absolutely loved the visit. When at school I was picked to do a poem of his "I wondered lonely as a cloud in a competition, I didn't win.Was overjoyed to go into his first home, that he shared with his wife and their many children. I touched just about everything, I had to be coaxed into the next room by the young american or was it canadian guide. The only disappointment was that we weren't allowed into the garden, maybe it's different now. I recommend this visit as it wasn't as impersonal as some where you don't get as up close. For any Wordworth fan, I highly recommend.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank carol p

• Korean first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“RUSHED AROUND THE HOUSE”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

I and my boyfriend visited Dove Cottage on Wednesday 17th April 2013. We purchased our tickets in the museum shop at 10.15am and we were told that we would be shown around Dove Cottage at 10.30am and that the tour should last about a half hour and we could go to the museum afterwards. Excitedly we arrived at the cottage at the allocated time to be met by a couple of volunteers discussing that they had a party of 48 due in after us and they needed to be shown around.
Our party was taken around the house by a very knowledgeable young lady but I must say it was very quick but she did say that after the tour we could have a look around and she would be waiting on the landing in case we had any questions that we would like to ask her. The tour had just finished and we both went to have a look at some items in the display cabinet only to be told by a rude volunteer with the next group of 48 that we had to leave the room now as her party was coming in and she needed to speak to her group and she wanted to tell them the history of the room, I found this absolutely disgusting that we could not go back to have a look and we were all shown the door exiting the cottage. Never again will visit Dove Cottage again if that is the way you are treated, shunted in and out like a conveyor belt. It was all over and done within what felt like 20 minutes.

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“history”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

very good but a little disappointing could have designed in a way of seeing the part the Cottage played in history without having to search it out, as it was busy it was hard work to get around without getting a little bored

Visited March 2013
Stowmarket
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Lovely experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

Great guided tour of Dove Cottage from very knowledgeable guide. Museum also well worth a visit - full of interesting exhibits. Surprised at lack of national recognition of Dorothy Wordsworth - he couldn't have done what he did without her and she was a great talent in her own right.

kent
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Lovely”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

Most of the contents of the cottage were used by Wordsworth and his sister. Information given by the guide was sufficient to keep everyones interest.

1 Thank travellerkent