“Excellent, what more can you want for?”

Greens Cafe & Bistro
Ranked #4 of 48 Restaurants in Grasmere
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Friendly local cafe and bistro specialising in home cooked meals and home baked cakes. Wide range of special diets catered for including gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian, vegan and meat lovers too!
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Indoor and outdoor seating available with fantastic food choices. The staff are very friendly and will do anything to help. The food is made fresh at the bistro, I must say their roast potatoes are divine. Even if you just fancy a brew and a light bite I would recommend any of their cakes but most of all their ice cream sundaes, your choice of ice cream with either shortbread or cookies in the bottom with cream and chocolate sauce. Even if just ordering a tea or a coffee they are served with small heart shaped shortbread biscuits which are delightful. The place is very clean and the toilets are perfect. It is situated perfectly in grasmere as you can see across the green and it is in the middle of the shops. I love this place and go every time I visit. Today was my first lunch in the bistro and decided their hearty food should be made known to others. Any one can go, families, friends, business people etc they cater for all.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

After a 4 mile walk my wife and I were quite hungry. We had been to Greens cafe once before and the food was good. We were not disapointed this time, They advertise home cooked food on the board outside. I had chicken pie with potatoe and vegetable, it was excellent.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

We lunched here on our first day in Grasmere. Our dog was welcome, which was a good start. There was an interesting menu with daily specials, most of them having gluten free or vegetarian alternatives. The service was quick and with a smile. We enjoyed it and went back on our last day just for a drink. We were met by the same friendly greeting even though we were taking up a table at lunchtime. The cakes looked lovely, though we resisted the temptation on each visit.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

Very busy, full house, great service, but mediocre food. I had soup to start which was lovely, lasagne which came in an oval dish, small portion, pale, uninteresting, gravy was watery,indistinctive.Accompanying salad was unadventurous, lazy. Really not good value. I left wondering what all the fuss was about. I definitely would not eat here again, nor would I recommend the experience.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

We had been kayaking on Thirlemere and stopped in Ambleside on the way back to Crook, stopped at Greens Cafe what a superb place, it was busy inside but bright and very pleasant. The staff that served us were lovely and we thought they may be a husband and wife team, there were lots of lovely homemade goodies on display but we settled on two lattes that were steaming hot and served with a little heart shaped shortbread-delicious it was too. This place is one to visit and we will return-perhaps trying the heart shaped cheese scones....