“Great Ales, Good Food”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Warwickshire
“Great Ales, Good Food”
Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

Had a couple of meals here during the week we were in Grasmere.

The food is slightly expensive for what it is but the quality is bang on. The choice of real ales and wine is probably the best in the village.

The garden is a great place to eat and drink as is inside - in either place the service is quick and friendly.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Great selection hand pulled beers.”
Reviewed August 3, 2014

Visited twice on our holiday, Once for a drink after a full days walking in the hills and then another day returned for a lunch. Good food and Drinks.

Europe
“Worth the 2 hour round trip”
Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

We picked this bar to eat in purely based on the website whilst on vacation in the south lakes. After a 1 hour drive we arrived in the picturesque village of Grassmere. First impressions were not great! Details like having no hot water in the toilets did not inspire confidence. The bar was busy and noisy but we were offered a quieter table in an adjacent dining room. Menu's were a bit tatty and at the moment I sat down and looked at the menu, I thought I was I was in for yet another very average and overpriced pub meal.
Boy was I wrong! The food was prepared by a kitchen team who care...trust me you can taste it. I had the chilli burger and my wife had pork. The Burger was the best I have had for a very long time. Soft buttery brioche bun, crisp lettuce and tasty home made succulent chargrilled ground beef pattie sandwiched between two sweet and crispy hand battered onion rings. Mustard mayo was tart and hot and the salsa was sweet and chunky, perfect additions that for me, hit all the key notes on the flavour scale.
Pork was moist and full of flavour with perfect crackling. Black pudding and crispy duck egg were sublime.
One point of personal preference.....I like to eat of a plate not a wooden board.
Chefs, great job. I'd travel 2 hours for that burger again!

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Fussi F
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Good dinner for four”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

Excellent food although dining area noisy with background music too loud. Food boot cheap but quality excellent and way better than you would expect as pub grub.

• Visited July 2014
Beijing, China
“Best bar/restaurant in the Lakes”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

Came here a number of times for drinks before eating here on our final night (friday) in Grasmere. The great choice of real ale beers with 10 cask ales and wide selection of bottled beers makes this the best bar in Grasmere and perhaps the best in the Lake district. Try a 3 x 1/3 pint bar for the same price of a pint! The food too is excellent with both waited service or "order at the bar" available from the same menu. This was my favourite meal of our one week stay in Grasmere.

The only negative was that bar staff were sometimes very noisy, chatting/shouting loudly with each other and literally throwing empty bottles noisily into the bin rather than taking more care to preserve the atmosphere.