“Lovely atmosphere”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Cumbria, UK
“Lovely atmosphere”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Popped into Tweedies on a wet rainy night in Decemeber - even though it was busy the staff were helpful and friendly. We didn't eat there we just called in for a drink to get out of the rain! Struggled to find the entrance at first and ended up in the hotel! Would like to try the food there next time

Visited December 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Newcastle UK
“The bar is great, the testaurant is overpriced”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

we enjoy visiting Grasmere and cannot leave without calling into Tweedies. Its very welcoming with its spacious bar, great beers and cosy fire. It would be perfect except for the food prices. when you look around the area, Tweedies is costly. They seem to charge at least 30% higher than normal bars, but people seem happy to part wirh their cash so we must be missing something they can see??? Anyway we enjoy the atmosphere but caant justify eating there, we will be back!!

Leeds, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Staff attitude lets this place down...”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Went to Tweedies on NYE lunch time and it was fairly busy but they only had one girl behind the bar who was clearly unhappy about it and was slamming drinks down to the point they needed topping up. She asked a male member of staff for assistance who was breaking boxes at the time to help and he just said "sorry im too busy"...so they had an exchange of words in front of all the customers. After we sat down there were two groups of families with children but seemingly only one babychair and when one the families commented to the other family the pub could do with a few more babychairs the same angry barman piped up in front of all the pub "It's a pub not mothercare"...at which point an argument ensued and the family were told they were barred and asked to leave. All this could have been avoided had the staff had the correct attitude and customer service skills. It's a shame as it left a bad atmosphere and we won't certainly won't be going back. Staff attitude is appalling.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank genie76
Laura M, Manager at Tweedies Bar, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review Tweedies Bar- we read all the reviews and use all of the feedback (where possible) to improve the customer experience for future customers. However there are a few issues with the points you raised in your review and we’d like to clear these up for you-
The girl behind the bar who you said was “extremely unhappy” was in fact very happy- she was just incredibly busy. The male member of staff was also very busy unpacking a large delivery of goods for New Years Eve celebrations.
As you were in the bar on the afternoon of NYE you will recall it was very busy with a long queue of people waiting to order drinks and food- a couple from a large party who were sitting in the restaurant came straight up to the bar (not queuing) and demanded to be served- they were asked to go to the back of the queue and wait their turn along with everybody else. For some reason unbeknownst to us this was completely unacceptable to them and as they moved to the end of the queue they murmured rudely about the member of staff who’d asked them not to jump the queue. Another member of staff came through to the bar to help with the large queue and to ensure people were not waiting too long for food and drinks. To this the customers who had been asked to move to the back of the queue started to whoop and cheer very reminiscent of an American football team- no one else in the queue seemed angry or disgruntled about having to form a queue before purchasing a drink- it was as one would expect in a popular Lakeland pub over the festive period-busy.
After this incident a waitress was trying to navigate her way through the busy restaurant to a table on the other side of this large party. She asked, very politely, if she would be able to squeeze through- to this one of the party snapped “I think the word you’re looking for is excuse me.” Please correct me if I am wrong but is this the sort of behaviour one would display when expecting happy and pleasant customer service in return?
A short time later a couple with a small child were sitting at another table, they asked the male member of staff if he had a high chair they could use. He apologised for being unsure and said that they may already be in use but he would go and check for them- we only have 2 high chairs here at Tweedies bar and one was already in use by the large group. The large group then proceeded to shout across the restaurant- disturbing other guests from enjoying their dinner and drinks- “there should be enough high chairs to go around- this is ridiculous.” This sort of comment would normally go unnoticed but as they were not the guests in need of a high chair why must they make their rude feelings known? However the comment about mothercare came to the large group after they continuously made comments and rude remarks to the male member of staff who was only trying to get on with his job.
The situation that you speak of that could have been “avoided” was to the best of the ability of the staff avoided. Until one of the males from the group squared up to the male member of staff- he politely backed away and asked the customers to leave. They refused. They were asked again and informed that if they did not leave the premises the police would be called to escort them. They continued to shout, swear and be abusive so the police were called to deal with the issue. Do you still believe that their behaviour should have been met with pleases, thank yous and everything else described as “good customer service”?
I would like to ask you to tell me why in the hospitality industry do some customers like yourselves find it completely acceptable to talk in a derogatory manner towards members of staff? Why after behaving like this would you expect good customer service? This sort of behaviour is not acceptable in banks, in doctors, post offices or shops- maybe the alcohol has a part to play- but this will not be accepted in my pub and towards my staff.
I am sorry that you found the situation uncomfortable- as I myself did. However as you were uninvolved you should be aware of all the facts before you’re so quick to judge the customer service that we offer at Tweedies bar and certainly before you make such a factually incorrect review on a public website.

Alex Goodall
Managing Director
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Scrumptious food, friendly service”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Beautifully presented Starter of scallops followed by a tender serving of lamb. We would highly recommend as we have eaten here on more than one ocassion and not been disappointed. Reasonably priced.

* Note - public houses & babies?? Not really appropriate.

• Visited January 2013
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Very un-baby friendly”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We visited with our young children (all infants) for lunch on 28th December. We waited over an hour for our food (I recognise this is a busy time of year, but with Tweedies location in Grasmere, they must be used to being busy!!), which was fine when it arrived.
Our main complaint was the unbelievable rudeness of the manager. One of our party was with his young daughter. The only baby changing facility is in the ladies toilets, so he quietly changed his daughters nappy behind the table. At this point the manageress stood and announced to the room at large (not to us!!) that this was unacceptable. At no point did she engage us in conversation - if she had asked if we could change the baby somewhere else, we could have explained the situation. We were not changing the baby in front of diners - althought there were people eating in the same room, the baby was being changed well away from any diners.
We were made to feel totally unwelcome, and would recommend that any families with very young children choose to eat elsewhere.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Claire C
Laura M, General Manager at Tweedies Bar, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
I was very shocked and disappointed to see your review on Trip Advisor.

Firstly I would like to apologise as I did on the day for the long wait time for your meals. Whilst we are used to being busy it is stilll not easy for our chefs when they get approx 50 orders on in such a short space of time. We do state on our menu's that at busy times as everything is cooked fresh to order there may be a wait.
On the day in question I came to your table to clear your plates and check if you had enjoyed your meals- at which point I saw a man and a woman changing a babies nappy in the middle of the restaurant floor less than a couple of metres from other diners. I was utterly shocked. I certainly did not announce to the room (believe me I did not want to draw attention to what you were doing in case the rest of the restaurant hadn't already noticed!) I simply said "we do have a baby changing unit in the ladies toilet" to which you muttered something about "too much effort" to which I replied "well it's not very nice for other diners." I then walked away as I was so shocked and disgusted that someone would behave in such a way.
Whilst our baby changing unit is situated in the ladies toilet is also contains our disabled toilet so is in fact unisex in certain circumstances. We allow men to use it in these situations, which I would have told you if had bothered to ask.
We are baby friendly and always welcome familes and children with open arms.

Laura Moss