“A place of peace and beauty”

Glenthorne Guest House
Ranked #11 of 20 Grasmere B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I would like to recommend Glenthorne Country Guest House in Grasmere England for anyone who desires to stay at a place that has a soul-deep peace and beauty. Their Quaker heritage translates into a welcome refuge from the frantic contemporary pace of life. However at no time is the Quaker way imposed on guests. There is indeed a strong sense of individual freedom at Glenthorne that helped me to be more aware of my unique humanity even while I responded to some of the lovely fellow guests.

The rooms have a simple and fragrant elegance with which no amount of high end luxury can compete. Every detail speak of the authentic care that the staff of Glenthorne put into all aspects of the guest house

Also, the guest house's location a bit down the road from the charming village of Grasmere adds to the delight I feel when I am at Glenthorne. And then there are the magnificent green hills surrounding both Glenthorne and the village. No wonder Wordsworth thought the Grasmere area was one of the most beautiful places on earth. And Glenthorne, in my view, is the best place from which to view that beauty.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank 3traveller3

Reviewed November 4, 2012

The Glenthorne is a Quaker retreat, but welcomes travelers of all sorts. I stopped in Grasmere for two nights as part of walking the C2C. At check in there was a form that asked the purpose of my visit. "Rest and recuperation" was one of the options, and that was exactly what I needed after three hard days of walking. The guests were very friendly and welcoming. It seems to attract a nice group of people. My room was very comfortable with a lovely view of the fells. Wordsworth is a ubiquitous theme in Grasmere; in the case of the Glenthorne, it seems Wordsworth's cows slept here. The guest rooms are in a converted barn. His cows had very solid accommodation. The Glenthorne is just a short way from the center of Grasmere. I highly recommend it.

Dinners are at a set time. I think their policy may be that if you are staying only one night you need to take the evening meal as well as the room. I appreciated the Quaker moment of silence at the start of the meal.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank elmcityjohn
Reviewed September 16, 2012

This was most unexpected. My travel company booked me into a Quaker run B&B.
The meals were arranged for certain times, which may not suit everyone.

There is a time of silence before meals. Which I quite liked.

The rooms are clean and comfortable and simple.

The WI-FI was only working in a small area near the reception desk. There are plans to improve it.

Room Tip: There are room in the main building and rooms in the grounds. If it is raining it would be better t...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank faithcharity
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Lovely location. Comfortable bed. Food average for the price. A little disappointed that they do not seem to be used to catering for different food 'disciplines'. Had to ask again and again for non cows milk or vegan food and being a Quaker establishment that was suprising.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cuthbert140
Reviewed May 27, 2012

This guest house was comfy and simple, with a good drying room for wet clothes. The setup in common areas and the breakfast room doesn't allow for much privacy, so expect to have strangers chat you up.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 6, 2012

I was invited at the last minute to stay here with a group of walkers for the weekend. Someone had pulled out 2.5 hours before they were supposed to arrive. I arrived after dinner, late in the evening with no idea what to expect. I found that anything was possible! They were fine with the substitution (in fact, glad someone else could come) and even offered to save me some dinner, which I didn't take up as I ate before I left home.

Having arrived in the dark, when I drew back the curtains in the morning I was stunned by the amazing view. There's also an amazing view from the dining room; perfectly heavenly!

My room was a spacious twin room in the main house. The wallpaper was a little old fashioned but everything was extremely clean, comfortable and spotless. There was a generous tray of tea, coffee and biscuits in the room. We had an en-suite bathroom with a nice shower. There was plenty of hot water considering there were 40 cold walkers having long showers!

The staff were very helpful. We were supposed to have labelled our flasks so that they could fill them with a hot drink of our choice in the morning. I didn't know that but they made sure I had what I wanted. They provided a selection of very decent sandwiches, fruit, chocolate bars and juice for us to take with us for lunch.

At 16:30 afternoon tea and a selection of homemade cake was provided in the lounge. Some of our group were stuck out on the hills and they saved cake for them.

I was also offered some soup as I was sitting in the lounge mid afternoon, having returned early from a walk due to snow.

I found the food very good. Breakfast was a buffet of cereal, porridge, toast and juice followed by a choice of bacon, fried egg, hash brown, beans, tomato and mushrooms (or all!). There was plenty of toast, marmalade and honey and a pot of tea on the table. Coffee was served to the table. The portions served were modest but there was lots of choice so there was plenty.

Dinner was soup, a choice of meat or a vegetarian dish and a choice of pudding (fresh fruit or something else). Again, the portions were modest by many's standards but I found them plenty, with the vegetables and potatoes which were served separately. The food was cooked beautifully and was very tasty. My friend said that the vegetarian option was very good - restaurant standard.

There is an excellent range of different teas and coffee available at any time outside the comfortable lounge.

I found the whole weekend amazing and a large part of that was due to the friendliness and comfort of Glenthorne. From no snow, we had 6 inches of snow during the day. We were worried that we might not be able to get home the next day and the staff told us that we could stay an extra night free if necessary as they were empty that night (they had only just opened for the season, we were the first group).

If you are looking for somewhere comfortable as a base for exploring, I highly recommend Glenthorne Quaker Centre and Guesthouse. It's not luxurious but it has a lovely atmosphere, helpful staff and good food.

Room Tip: I stayed in the main house and it was very nice.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank K L
Reviewed January 28, 2012

I had a double ensuite room in the “annex.” It had a wardrobe with plenty of hangers, drawers, plenty of light and electrical outlets. Shower in the ensuite bathroom. Small window has a lovely view towards the hills. No phone, radio or TV in rooms. Wifi doesn’t work in the annex building or lounge but does in the main part and dining room in the main building. Perfect location for walks.
(I was there on a private group holiday where we handled our own meal-making, so I cannot comment on the food service here.)

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends