“A hidden gem.”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 28, 2011

My boyfriend & I went to the oak bank to eat in August while on holiday in Grasmere. All I can say is that as soon as we arrived we were treated like royalty. The service was impeccable. We both went for the 3 course menu which was exceptionally good value. The choice was varied and sounded amazing. When the starters came we couldn't believe our eyes, I opted for a deconstructed prawn cocktail which had the best presentation I have ever seen. That goes for every dish we were presented with. I would also recommend the pana cotta. I dont think I would have been disappointed with any of the dishes though. The only let down of the night was the atmosphere, we were the last ones in to eat so it was quiet anyway but we felt like we had to whisper the whole time. We were seated in a modern conservatory and the decor was unimaginative. I think if they re-look at this though the whole experience could be incredible. It was one of the best food experiences I have ever had. Thanks for a great evening, we will be back.

Reviewed June 26, 2011

What a nice surprise! We booked in here on Saturday night. When we arrived we saw it was a table d'hote menu for that night, which we didn't know when we booked, but we were very pleasantly surprised by later. First of all, there was a lovely warm welcome by Glynis and Simon, we had a drink in the bar and ordered our food, then we were shown to our table in the lovely conservatory at the back.

When the food arrived we couldn't stop smiling - and eating! Not sure what the usual weeknight menus are like, but the Saturday night menu is well worth the money. The skill and effort which had gone in to each dish was obvious. For example I had a chicken main course, but chicken 4 ways. And a strawberry desert, but strawberries four ways (donut, jelly, mouse, and sorbet).

The portions are not at all big, but you end up savouring every mouthful. Excellent.

1  Thank WelshyK
Reviewed June 7, 2011

Personal service and welcome.
Opportunity to peruse the menu in comfortable surroundings with a drink and appetiser before dinner.
The food was very good and 3 courses excellent value for money.
If i could change anything it would be the background music...

Reviewed May 9, 2011

I love Grasmere and was very keen to try the Oak Bank restaurant after reading the interesting reviews on here. Decided to go for the 4 courses at £30, which proved a very good choice.

The conservatory restaurant has a nice spacious atmosphere and service is friendly and professional. Food is excellent with impressive presentation too, the rhubarb dessert looked and tasted fantastic, real Masterchef stuff here, definitely food to make you smile, loved it.

Have dined previously at the Wordsworth, Rothay Garden, Grasmere & Bridge House Hotels, plus The Jumble Rooms and Villa Colombina.

This is probably my favourite and I look forward to trying here again.

1  Thank MartOnHoliday
Reviewed March 29, 2011

Probably the best hotel food we,ve ever had. Varied and imaginative menus served by pleasant staff. Highly recomend!!!!!!

1  Thank eric_knowles2