“Vegetarian food with a view”

Green Valley Vegetarian Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 9, 2013

The Lake District as a whole is quite a tricky place to find decent places to eat as a vegetarian, this makes those places that you do come across all the more inviting.

This is a good vegetarian restaurant in a good setting with amazing views. You will need a car to get there though, unless you decide to stay at the hotel.The menu is interesting and the range of wines and beers is better than most. We enjoyed the vegan 'fish & chips' but were disappointed with the size and quality of the pizza.

Overall we would recommend the restaurant to anyone staying in the Lake District.

There are newer reviews for Green Valley Vegetarian Restaurant

Reviewed September 1, 2013

A wonderful selection of fresh and extremely tasty food that tantalises the tastebuds. Due to gallstones I can't eat most items on restaurant menus, and normally can only eat one thing - i.e. salad.Here I could eat virtually everything, completely spoilt for choice, and you can tell it's great, locally grown ingredients because they are so intense with flavour. Amazing, Thanks so much!

Reviewed September 1, 2013

We decided to treat ourselves to a meal out in the beautiful village of Grasmere and we had a fantastic meal in an amazing restaurant at Lancrigg. From the moment you step inside you don't want to leave and you know it is going to be a very special experience. The menu is extensive with an impressive choice so we enjoyed three courses of deliciously created food accompanied by good wine served by excellent friendly staff. The atmosphere at lancrigg is just perfect you feel relaxed and welcomed by all around you. We all can't wait to return again soon and our aim is to try everything on the menu!

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We weren't residents at the Lancrigg, but had made a reservation for dinner. I do not eat gluten or dairy products, so the range of vegan and gf meals was very appealing. Upon arrival we were taken through to a lounge. This area seemed really quite run down and not at all what I was expecting...having never been at the hotel before, myself and my partner were really quite concerned this slouchy sofa and wicker table was our table for the night! The staff are very friendly and helpful, but a little communication at this stage would have helped alleviate my concerns.
After we had ordered our meals, and waited a little longer, we were shown through to the dining room and shown to our table. Both our starters arrived and were very tasty, we cannot fault them. It was the main courses that were a let down. My Thai green curry was nice - and the staff warned me it would be of medium heat, and checked I would be okay with that - but having spent time in Thailand, I am well used to Thai food. I did not finish the meal, and I was asked if there was a problem with it...I said no...because there was nothing wrong with it, but that doesn't mean it was great either. I was craving vegetables, but there was a very limited amount of vegetable in the curry. The tofu in the curry was lovely, and had a great flavour.
Unfortunately my partner ordered the falafel which was burnt underneath and was basically three balls of breadcrumbs. There were a variety of other sauces with the falafel... But they didn't make it a great dish.
This review would have been 3*, but paying £13 for a Thai green curry that was below the standard of greeny curry I make myself at home, and the sad falafels has to make this a 2* experience.
To make it clear, the staff are lovely, the waiting room (lounge!) is shabby, and the food we experienced was just ok, and the pricing was steep for the quality.
I cannot recommend this restaurant based on our meals tonight. Maybe we were unlucky.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

There is nothing to dislike. I needed rejuvenating and I came away feeling exactly that. The meals there are sublime. Staff are so willing to help. Rooms are beautiful and tastefully decorated.
My husband started visiting Lancrigg 28 years ago and it is fifteen years since he introduced me - I can't keep away!