“Ideal Location, Warm Welcome, Great Staff”
Review of Monk Coniston

Monk Coniston
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Coniston
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Just back from a 4 night HF walking holiday. The hotel is very well managed with competent and very friendly staff. My room in the main house was warm, felt fresh and clean and had an excellent shower in the en-suite facility. Of the utmost importance was the very comfortable bed - which was much needed after a hard days walking ! The food was excellent with ample choice for breakfast, whilst dinner was definitely worth looking forward too.

For those that "don't like to get away from it all", the mobile phone reception was fine, as was the wi fi and tv reception in the bedroom.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank SquiddlyUK

Reviewed October 28, 2013

…and my brother and I had driven down from Scotland. We were tired and hungry. We had read the great reviews of the food here and not eaten because we were expecting a large meal. I entered the main hall and had to wander around looking lost for nearly 15 minutes before I finally located someone who appeared to work there. He sent me down a hallway to the bar, where there was a woman who was serving as bartender who told me room numbers and airily waved me to one of the outbuildings with a vague explanation of where the rooms were. I was told that the keys were in the doors. I asked her about dinner and she said that they had a tour group taking up the dining room, so there was no dinner that night. I can't think of a more inhospitable check in experience!!!!!

I went into the annex and didn't see my room number anywhere. I finally found it by going outside and realizing it was a funky basement room which had its entrance on the side of the building. The room itself was fairly spartan: two single beds, nondescript, cheap furniture, and institutional, coarse carpeting. The duvet on one bed had small stains on it, like crushed bugs.

The positive points about the room were the comfy heating (really? I have to find the positive in the heating?), in-room tea service, very nice shower, and heated towel rack.

There were two independent switches for the bathroom light and the bathroom fan, however they did not seem to work independently of each other and the fan sounded like a small and wobbly jet engine. The fan switch was located in a place where I, at 5'6", had to stand on my tiptoes to reach. Woe to anyone shorter than I who stays in this room!

There was no wi-fi and no reception at all for the TV. While some people may appreciate the idea of 'getting away from it all' which this lack of electronic services suggests, I am sadly not that person. I went back into the elegant main building and asked about the wi-fi. I had a very sweet maid inform me that the only place it really works is in the lounge area, and even there, "it's rubbish."

I wanted to explore the area, but only had a vague idea of what was available. The information brochures provided in the rooms were advertisements for expensive HF tours. No maps or guides to local restaurants or activities were provided. As we were checking out, I did see that there were such things in a hallway in the main building. However, I did not see this until we were checking out.

Other have commented on breakfast times and I must echo them. Breakfast is served from 7:45-9. A bit early for most folk on holiday. Breakfast itself is fairly lavish, with many good options, both hot and cold. It would be helpful if any of the staff had more than a tenuous grasp of the English language though.

The main building is gorgeous indeed, and I took some very nice photos of it. I just wish I felt like a valued guest there. I guess you're only a valued guest if you're on one of those HF tours.

Room Tip: I guess the main building is the only place you will get service?
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Dana G
Sarah D, HF Holidays Ltd at Monk Coniston, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Thank you for your feedback on Monk Coniston. We apologise that your stay failed to meet a number of your expectations.

Reading your review, the welcome you received was below the standard we would wish to offer guests and your comments have been passed to the manager so we can discover the reasons for the lapses on this occasion. Regarding Wi-Fi, we are working to improve this at Monk Coniston. A poor signal combined with thick building walls does make offering Wi-Fi throughout the property a challenge.

Sarah Davis, Research & Development Manager, HF Holidays Ltd.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

I stayed here in September 2013 on an HF walking week. Despite torrential rain, it was a brilliant week due to the quality of the house team and excellent catering. As a single woman traveller, HF is a great way to enjoy guided walking and meet some interesting folk along the way. You will return half a stone heavier but what could be better....comfortable room, great food, bar, lovely location even in the rain.

Room Tip: Better to be in main house. Annexes are fine but would have to sprint through the rain to main build...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank LCtravelbug
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Just had two nights away in the Lakes with husband at this HF country house. It is owned by the National Trust and leased to HF. We enjoyed exploring the grounds and the grandeur of the rooms.
There is nothing to fault, comfortable bed, very clean. The food was fantastic, I thought the trout with mint and wine sauce was outstanding. My special meal requirements were diligently and kindly dealt with.
The people on the other holidays (folk dance and painting) were very pleasant and the manager John Croxford is very friendly and clearly runs a tight ship.
Thanks, I don't get away without the kids very often and I could not have asked for more on this break (and the weather was good!!).

Room Tip: I paid £5 per person per night more for a room with a view of Lake Coniston and it was well worth it...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cheshirehousewife01
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Our week at Monk Coniston Hall on a walking holiday was a week well spent! The staff is courteous and attentive, the food plentiful and well-prepared beyond our expectations.

We reserved early and requested a premium room which was well worth the small additional charge; we had a view of the lake, an oversized room, and comfy robes and slippers greeted us upon our arrival.

The property is well-equipped for hikers and walkers, including a large boot room with washer/dryer for wet clothing. Overall a beautiful, functional property.

Room Tip: Book early and ask for a room in the main house if available.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mona S
Reviewed July 20, 2013

This place has a lovely setting and is nice, and clean, inside.
The people were nice and friendly.
Offers use of a computer with wifi, and lots of guides to the area.

My only complaints are -
1 - All the plug sockets in the room were old fashioned round pin ones - useless!
eventually we found ONE that was the usual British plug.
It is crazy not to have changed them or at least offered adapter plugs - people need electricity for all sorts of things - phone charging, curling tongues, laptops etc

2 - breakfast starts and 7 and ends at 9. Many people when on holiday want to have a lie in... they don't want to be up early to eat - or they get nothing - especially if they have been out late the night before.

I know this is not unusual in hotels, but it would put me off going again - not everyone is an early riser.
The food was ok, but we were so tired and felt still half asleep we couldn't eat much or enjoy it

They should offer some sort of back up for those who do not want to get up early - even just leave the option of self service, stuff like cereal and croissants or whatever, if they don't want to offer the cooked breakfast.

We then had to be out by 10... which is too early in my opinion - again, on holiday you want to relax, lie in, take it easy etc not feel you have to get up, eat and pack in a very short rushed time.

Again, i know this is not unusual in hotel, but it is still annoying.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Anco71
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I was really looking forward to staying here for a week with HF to do some walking, but the standard of my accommodation really affected my enjoyment of the whole experience. My room was small and dingy. I certainly didn't have the great experience others on here have had. My average rating is based on this, as the staff, service and food were all very good. There is a very wide variety of accommodation at this hotel and I would just advise anyone planning to stay here to ensure you know what type of room has been allocated. There are some superb rooms in the main house and in the annex but, sadly, I didn't get one of those! Thumbs down from me on this occasion. I would visit again but ONLY if I was sure of getting a better standard of bedroom.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Maz1963
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coniston
#3 of 6 in Coniston
#1 of 12 in Ambleside
Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield
Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield
#6 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Monk Coniston? Share your experiences!