“Nice Pub/Restro in a beautiful village”

Black Bull Inn and Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Coniston
Reviewed April 29, 2014

I have been to this restro/pub recently with a group of friends for an evening meal. It's at the bottom of mountains situated in a beautiful Coniston Village. It is one of the oldest pub in the Lake District and has a nice ambiance to it. Suitable for a family or couple or a group of friends.

We ordered quite a lot of things- lamb steak, chilli beef, chicken roast, drinks. Over all food was good and well I loved my chilli beef with rice. But chicken roast was very blunt in taste and dry, so many of my friends could not actually finish the meal with a smile.

But overall a nice place to eat In or Out.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

Excellent pint of stout and very welcoming. Unusual to see a brewery on site. It was good to see there brew only ales on sale. I didn't eat but the menu seemed fair and simple. Maybe next time in coniston.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Have scored average as it doesn't warrant a 'very good'. Food is good, I had the chicken which was cooked nicely, homemade coleslaw and chunky chips.

My partner had Dover sole which was cooked well - portion size was quite small albeit the chicken was massive.

We take our little dog with us which is great that they are dog friendly.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jodene v
Reviewed April 25, 2014

I was please to find that real cider has returned to the Black Bull, in the form of Gwent Y Draig's Black Dragon.
My cumberland sausage and mash was substantial and tasty & my wife enjoyed her vegetarian lasagne.

It was nice to see that the customary association of dogs and pubs is still taken for granted hereabouts.

The prices are a bit on the steep side, but I suspect the pub has to make most of its income during a restricted tourist season to remain viable.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

Had a lovely evening meal at the pub. Service was great and the staff were very friendly. I had scampi and chips and hubby had the chilli - it was really good pub grub!!!! The atmosphere of the pub was nice and laid back and I would return here again when in the area.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

We had a delicious (if a little pricey) smoked salmon lunch here after a morning of cycling around the area. We sat outside surrounded by other walkers and their dogs and the atmosphere was lovely. The man that served us was incredibly helpful and helped us with some navigation and recommending places to go. Great service and great food.

Reviewed April 20, 2014

We popped in for an early 5pm pub meal after a day walking. We were 2 adults, 3 kids. Wasn't sure what to expect but was pleased to find the inside had as much atmosphere as the sun soaked roadside beer garden. The food was excellent and service pretty quick. Certainly the prices were keen but it wasn't unexpected in a popular tourist area and the quality of both adults' and kids' meals were top knotch. Would head there again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coniston
0 mi away
New Dungeon Ghyll Hotel
#9 of 12 in Ambleside
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#1 of 12 in Ambleside

Been to Black Bull Inn and Hotel? Share your experiences!