“Overpriced, Poor Service and Tiny Rooms!!”

and 1 more site!
Black Bull Inn and Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Coniston
Skipton, United Kingdom
“Overpriced, Poor Service and Tiny Rooms!!”
Reviewed June 6, 2011

I booked for 2 nights this weekend and I can honestly say I will not be booking to stay there again. To pay £100 a night for a room I would have at least expected a better quality of service than what I received. A couple we know, had booked in just for the one night and received a luxury room with a four-poster bed and chaise lounge sofas in, where as myself who had paid double that for 2 nights, received a box room. You walked in and there was the double bed at your knees, if you opened the cupboard door, you wouldn’t have been able to squeeze past the bed it was so crammed in. The window was a sky light so at 4am you were woke up with a bright light in your eyes, even when using the blind! And as for the shower/bath ensuite, there was no shower – sorry it was hanging on the back of the door and you had to plug it into the taps so this was misleading in the literature.
On the first evening there, we ate in the pub and although the food was enjoyable and tasted good, it was very overpriced at £18 for lamb! I can’t say it was the best meal I’ve had and so don’t feel i received the quality of food I paid for. We ate across the road the next night in Harry’s Cafe which was much more accommodating.
The first morning in the hotel we went for breakfast and the older lady who was waitressing got teas and coffees and took a breakfast order for one table and then completely ignored our table and another guests table as if we were invisible. After waiting 15 minutes, a waiter finally came through to the breakfast room and I had to ask him if I could order. When my breakfast arrived, there was plenty on it and it was all good (minus my scrambled eggs which were still slightly runny).
Overall, this hotel is not worth £100 a night, poor service and small rooms. There are other hotels in Coniston which are either cheaper or similar price but you get the service you pay for there. I would stick to just drinking their bluebird ale at this pub as it’s the only thing they have got right and even that’s still expensive! And if you want to waste your money here, then stay in Room 12 – that was the four poster bed room!!

Room Tip: Room 12 is a 4 poster bed & chaise lounge sofa
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kayleigh3005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
North East England
Reviewed June 5, 2011

We have just stayed at the Black Bull, Coniston for two nights as part of a walking holiday. We were situated in the cottages which are separate from the main building but literally out of the back door. We found them clean, warm and spacious, more than adequate for a few nights stay. They have a large ensuite shower room and a nice airy feel to the bedroom.

We ate both evenings at the Black Bull and found the food to be very varied and fresh. I had fish both nights and can honestly say it was the freshest fish I have had in a long while. My wife had the vegetarian options, both which were excellent.

The beer may be a little expensive but hay ho, you're on holiday and its brewed on site. Worth paying for the quality of the ales and excellent ambience of the Black Bull.

Couldn't fault any of the staff, all whom were very helpful. The breakfast is very good and includes a full cumbrian fayre, if you have the room.

Room Tip: Try the Bluebird Cottage, straight through the bar
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank topcop999
bury lancs
Reviewed June 1, 2011

My wife and I have just returned from a short break at the Black Bull and have had another really good stay. We received a very warm and efficient welcome from a (new?) member of the team, a young guy who I think is called Steve, who really went the extra mile to ensure we wanted for nothing during our stay.
Room was clean and well appointed, with hindsight we should have requested a room with a king-size bed but that was not a big problem as we were very comfortable.
Breakfasts and evening meals were to the usual high standard,the main dining room is closed until the new kitchen is installed but this didn't impact in any negative way on our holiday.
Thanks again to everyone at the Black Bull, and Lorraine we're sorry to have missed you but hopefully will be back again soon.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
FILEY NORTH YORKSHIE
Reviewed May 16, 2011

12 mates annual cycling holiday- 10 cyclists with 2 back up crew. We ere made extremely welcome by the manager who went out of his way to ensure we had a very good weekend. Very good food and the beer brewed on site was an added bonus. Can can thoroughly recommend for a weekend away in the lakes. Verygood value for money.

• Stayed May 2011
wotton under edge
Reviewed May 15, 2011

Lovely welcome, food good very clean and value for money will certainly re-visit

lincoln, UK
Reviewed May 13, 2011

From the minute we arrived here, we had nothing but utter kindness from every member of staff we encountered. The triple room we shared was just super, plenty of room for the three of us with all our baggage, lovely shower room, bright, clean and cheerful! Breakfast and dinner were beautifully cooked and we were never tempted to go out to look elsewhere for an evening meal. Yes, yes, yes, the Black Bull fulfilled all our expectations, and more, and we can't wait to book again!

Twickenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2011

Booked 4 rooms for a friends get together. All rooms were terrific, both in the annex and main building. All were of a good size, clean and adequately kitted out.
Breakfast too was equally good, served by great staff; attentive and engaging.
I don't get the bar pricing complaints. You're buying locally (next door!) produced ale as opposed to the usual run of the mill . Anyway as I live in the South, it's still cheaper!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coniston
The Yewdale Inn
The Burn How Garden House Hotel
The Burn How Garden House Hotel
#4 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant

Been to Black Bull Inn and Hotel? Share your experiences!