“Lovely stay!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Coniston
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely stay!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2012

The hotel is a very nice a peaceful setting, if you need to be near the lake, I don't think you could be any closer !! a short walk down the grounds and you are there ! As for the Hotel the accomodation was excellent, the room was clean and neat, bathroom modern and clean.
The setting and place for the Hotel is perfect for anyone wanting to get away from it all and sit back and relax and chill out.
Theres even a ghost thrown in just for good measure !!! but don't take my word for it ask for room 2 and find out yourself .........

Great stay and would love to go again soon !

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Andy T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Polish first
Newcastle Under Lyme uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2012

Lovely period hotel set against the stunning mountain back drop. Ideally located for the delightful village of Coniston. Friendly welcoming staff. Comfortable pleasant room and bed. Lovely choice at breakfast looking out at the stunning scenery. Loved it

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Josephine045
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2012

I have just returned from a very "snowy" weekend at the Waterhead Hotel in Coniston and I have to say despite being involved in a "weather induced" car crash on the way we yet again had an enjoyable comfortable stay. This is the second year in a row we have chosen the Waterhead using a Buy a Gift.com voucher and I was not disappointed. The hotel is very clean and comfortable, the staff were welcoming and friendly and the breakfast as before was outstanding! I cannot believe some of the bad reviews I have read but everyone is different I suppose. I would urge people to go to this hotel if they are looking for a base for exploring the Lakes. The deal with Buy a Gift is amazing value - look out for just before Christmas as they usually do up to 25% off the already discounted price. We ended up paying £120 for two nights bed and full english breakfast. If you go Sun-Thurs it is slightly cheaper as they charge a £10 per person per night supplement for Fri and Sat - which is the same with most of these deals. I have to say that the staff couldn't have been more helpful or friendly to us and we were especially brightened on Sunday morning to see that one of the staff and his girlfriend had built a fab snowman looking in to the breakfast room!!!! It may be quite expensive to stay without any special deals but even at full price I think you wouldn't be disappointed. They have over the last couple of years done some of the bathrooms up and I would think the review saying the shower they had was a dribble is no longer an issue. I can't really say anything negative about this hotel - except the butter was always hard to spread as it had been refridgerated well!!! If that's their only criticism that's not bad going. The pubs / bars in the village of Coniston were very expensive in the main for food and drink but my partner and I went to the Coniston Sports and Social Club a couple of times where the atmosphere was warm and friendly and we drank very reasonably priced drinks whilst watching the kids sledging down the hill behind!!!! All in all I would highly recomend both the Waterhead and Coniston as a location for a terrific relaxing break with the most breathtaking views.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room no 7 this time and the bathroom was newly done, white, bright and large with both...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sarahkeen74
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2012

I don't usually take the time to write a review, but on this occasion I will as we had such a lovely time at the Waterhead. We had a two night stay there 1st and 2nd Feb 2012, it was a buy a gift .com present. The location of the hotel is stunning, right on Coniston Lake, the landscaped gardens lead down to it. The 'Old Man' is seen from the front of the hotel and its a wonderful view. We had dinner there on the first night which was very good. Breakfasts were equally good with lots of choice, especially for me as I don't like full English, there was plenty of fresh fruit, yogurts and croissants . The staff were friendly ,especially our waiter on the first evening who was a young lad from Scotland. The room was clean and tastefully decorated as was the rest of the hotel. We were also allowed to have our dog with us which was one of the reasons we chose this hotel.
We would definitely recommend the Waterhead and hope to return next year.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cheshiremaid
Redditch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2012

Ive just come back from a weekend at this hotel.The staff are very friendly and nothing was too much trouble,we even had the choice of three rooms to choose from when we checked in .The hotel grounds run down to the shores of coniston with mountain views to the left,the restaurant has panoramic views of the old man of coniston.The room was spacious and clean.A walk into the village takes around ten minutes where there are four lovely pubs to choose from.definitely would return.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Northumberland, UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2012

We stayed in room 15 which only had a shower (no bath). This electric shower was like a very very light spray which took over 30 mins to was my hair. A lady needs to wash and I found this totally unacceptable. The room was dated and the carpet was dirty. The staff were really nice but this spoilt my weekend I won't return or recommend to anyone. A very dissatisifed customer

Room Tip: The views from the hotel were great from all angles.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Jennifer A
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2012

I returned yesterday after a 3 day break at the Waterhead Hotel for New Year. We had a fantastic stay. Hotel was very nice and clean and was very good value for money.

On arrival we were greeted by a very nice lady who advised that our room wasn't quite ready and they would have it done asap if we wanted to get a drink in the bar. We were on 2nd floor (room 20) which was very spacious and a very large bathroom.

Breakfast was served between 8am and 9.30am (which I did feel was a little early) but at least it made us make the most of the day. The restaurant where food is served is lovely and has fantastic views of Coniston Old Man.

It is only a short walk to the centre (i would say 5 minutes, not the 2 it said on the website i booked on) but again this was no problem. There is a path (unlit) to the centre. I would recommend a torch if you have one although not essential.

Overall a very enjoyable stay and will be recommending to people and returning ourselves

Many thanks for all the staff who were very nice and friendly.

Room Tip: We had room 20 which was in the middle of the hotel looking out to Conision Old Man - very nice. Pl...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank carrie303
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coniston
#1 of 12 in Ambleside
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,340 reviews
Cragwood Country House Hotel
Cragwood Country House Hotel
#2 of 20 in Windermere

Been to Waterhead Hotel? Share your experiences!