“Just perfect”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Chose this cafe as an alternative to our hotel for breakfast. Its in central Coniston, so easy to find and offers a lovely range of both eat in and take-away options and a HUGE selection of cakes. Its a great option if you want to grab something to take up the mountain with you!

Portions are not oversized but the ingredients are all fresh and there is just a lovely choice on the menu. I had sour-dough toast with scrambled eggs, cheese and bacon. Hubbie had he same but he swapped his cheese for mushrooms which was no problem at all for chef. Yummy!

Nice crockery, very important!!

Only downer is they dont allow dogs, Super friendly staff! Would highly recommend!

There are newer reviews for The Green Housekeeper Cafe

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Disappointed they had sold out of their lovely french onion soup this time we came, but free wi-fi, delicious other soups, and best of all a big chunk of home made bread.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Bacon butty great on fresh brown bun (three good slices). Tomato ketchup and brown sauce delivered in individual containers. Pot of tea with extra hot water was good. Proper coffee, Very nice people, apparently open every day apart from Christmas day and keeps local people employed all year round.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

The staff here are very welcoming. The food and service are excellent; and as far as we could tell all food is cooked on the premises - some very talented staff!! We only stayed one night in Coniston and visited here twice; once for a late breakfast and then for tea and scones the next day. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Clare D
Reviewed November 21, 2012

After a fraught morning, where our B&B in a Kendal Hotel failed to deliver any breakfast, which was followed by a pleasant drive up the east side of the Lake we found The Green House Keepers Cafe. The lady owner and her staff were so friendly and full of fun. Nice to find a place where they have time for a chat. I opted for the breakfast sausage bap with local 'proper' sausages from just up the road with an egg. I went for the wholemeal bap to which the owner joked about it being the health eating option. My wife opted for the Blueberry cake. I didn't get a piece it was so good moist and full of fruit! Thank you for making us so welcome.

16Yewdaleroad, Owner at The Green Housekeeper Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

You see, this is why we do what we do! Thank you so much for taking the time to write this, it really is appreciated.
I am the lady owner (in fairness I answer to most things) and I love to meet and chat with my customers, I am genuinely interested in everyone and I love to meet people and hear their stories. Your positive comments really helped me. Thanks again. I sometimes doubt that others agree with my principles and philosophy - especially after a couple of negative feedbacks on trip advisor, which really threw me.
I am trying to serve good quality honest locally sourced food at reasonable prices and enjoy doing it - you just helped enormously. Thank you for making it so easy - you are welcome anytime!
Ps - I rarely worry about the cakes, having to invent new cakes and of course eat them regularly (in the interest of quality control of course) I am quite confident they'll be enjoyed, I'm not surprised the blueberry cake wasn't shared, please come again and try your own!