“Rude owners, terrible attitude”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Ship Inn

Ship Inn
Ranked #6 of 19 Restaurants in Coniston
Cuisines: Bar, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Scenic view, Bar scene, Kids, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: We are a traditional English Inn, in the heart of the Lake District offering a warm welcome, helped by a roaring open fire in the cooler months!The bar stocks award-winning cask ales, a selection of fine wines and malt whiskies. We offer classic pub food which is locally-sourced and freshly prepared on the premises. We have Bed and Breakfast accommodation, 2 of the 3 rooms being en-suite.
Preston, United Kingdom
“Rude owners, terrible attitude”
Reviewed April 21, 2012

No sooner had we arrived we were informed they were closing soon & it was last orders. No problem there, time for a quick pint & then back to the campsite so we thought.
No sooner had we sat down with our drinks than the owner was shouting at us to hurry up with our drinks because he wanted to close up & prepare for breakfast for the guests.
He kept standing over us to hurry us along whilst regaling us with stories of how he is sick of 'people from the campsite'.
Why serve us if there isn't time for us to actually drink our drinks & you are so sick of people from the campsite?
Fawlty Towers sprung to mind......

• Visited July 2011
3 Thank Markaroo

London, United Kingdom
“The Ship Inn - the best in Coniston”
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We spent a great week in Coniston and ate out most nights. We picked The Ship Inn for our last night and had a great meal at sensible prices. The lamb shanks were lovely and tasty and the veg and chips terrific. The beers were good too and there was a nice warm friendly atmosphere about the place which was obviously very popular. Great food at excellent prices.

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank catlover043
Hawkshead, United Kingdom
“food”
Reviewed January 6, 2012

the game pie fab lovely pub just a nice walk from the camp site stop all most dayly

1 Thank schoolhousecottage
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Miserable, miserable, MISERABLE!!!”
Reviewed November 11, 2011

Having boycotted this establishment for about 5 years myself and my wife were recently renting a cottage just up the road and I decided to give it another go. Nothing whatsoever has changed. On the original vist we were literally shouted at for moving a table about a foot to be slightly closer to the fire after a long a very damp walk, at the time we were the only people in the pub! On my recent visit I arrived alone with my dog and was greeted with a grunt from the landlord when I politely asked if the dog was OK in the pub. I then proceeded to order a pint (which was not great!) to be asked for , and I quote " two ninety" no "please" no smile, no " thank you" . I then sat down whilst being stared at from over the bar by the sour faced landlord for about 15 minutes. It was a Saturday night so a few other people came and went while I was there and it would appear that it was not just me that received this wonderful customer service, a elderly group arrived shortly after me and apologised for being a few minutes late for a table booking to which the obligatory grunt was returned. One of the party asked for a peppermint cordial or similar for heartburn and was told "No" . Luckily I had some tablets in my pocket which I gladly shared. It is such a shame that a pub which is in one of the most beautiful places is run by such a misery, the atmosphere is awful. Please do the right thing and go to the other pubs in the village they are great!!!

• Visited October 2011
4 Thank Stuart M
North East England
“Best in Coniston?”
Reviewed August 23, 2011

When we arrived without a reservation on a Saturday night hungry and tired, the friendly staff found us a table and we were served quickly. The menu was mostly traditional with some specials on the blackboard too. Initially we thought some of the prices seemed on the high side for pub food... but later after a week of eating out in the Lakes we realised that The Ship's prices were average, and given the quality of the food actually represented very good value!
We had four traditional meals... Cumberland sausage and mash, Game pie, Chicken pie and Beef in stilton and ale gravy. All served quickly and with fresh vegetables. The wine selection was limited but good for a pub and at the time we were there only two local ales. All in all.. good portions, friendly service and well cooked meals.
The Ship was better than many other more famous Pubs in the locality!

• Visited August 2011