“Improvement needed”
Review of The Sun Coniston

The Sun Coniston
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Coniston
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Having paid quite a substantial sum for our room at the Sun Hotel we have to say we were less than impressed. Upon check-in we were greeted by sullen, bored-looking staff who were in dire need of customer service training! We were not welcomed, not given any information about the hotel (breakfast times, check-out times etc) and simply given the key to our room. When we arrived in our room, it was absolutely freezing! Some of the lights were not working in the bathroom and the bedroom, the phone did not work properly, there was no information in the room about the hotel or the restaurant, the TV did not work properly and had a mind of its own (at one point we were watching TV in bed late at night and it suddenly turned the volume up and frightened the life out of us!). The wardrobe door refused to open. The lock was broken on the door and in the end we just had to leave our clothes in the suitcase. Not good.

The TV was also on a wobbly table that my toddler had great delight in trying to wobble every five minutes until we had to move the bed to stop her! Not exactly a great family room. The room was very cramped and I had to climb over the bed to reach our daughter's cot as the TV on the wobbly table was in the way!

When we checked out nobody thanked us for staying and they simply seemed glad to be rid of yet more "inconvenient" guests.

I have to say the food was lovely though. Expensive but tasty. The only problem was that the restaurant does not have menus! You have to choose your food from a blackboard in the pub area. This is slightly awkward and embarrassing when you have a group of rowdy, drunk men sat in front of it and me, being very short-sighted, trying to see round their heads to choose a meal was near impossible. In the end, I said to my husband "Just pick me anything!" Meals are only served between 5:30pm and 8:30pm and you are not allowed to even place an order until the clock strikes 5:30pm so as you can imagine it's a race to the bar to place food orders!

I wouldn't stay again although I would happily eat a meal there and enjoy a couple of drinks - I just definitely wouldn't waste my money on a room.

Awful, awful customer service though!!!

Room Tip: Don't bother staying here. Try the restaurant and bar but definitely avoid wasting your money o...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank katesue85
sharonandalan, Owner at The Sun Coniston, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Dear Kate,

We are sorry you were not happy with your stay. We were a bit surprised at your comments.
We were not aware that you were unhappy on departure.

We think we are very good value. At the moment we are £70 midweek and £80 weekend for a double. You paid £100 for a family room with 1 child and breakfast. This includes VAT at 20%.

We have checked the lights they are fully functional. There was a bulb out above the bathroom mirror, which has been replaced.

The phone just needs to be checked in at reception. They are not automatically checked in as most people prefer to use their mobile phones at it is cheaper. All phones connect to reception and all internal rooms.

The room notes were not there when we went to check. Occasionally guests mistakenly take them as souvenirs.

We have had all our TVs checked they are fully functional (it may have been due to the adverse weather conditions) The TV could have been moved onto the dresser which is more sturdy. We would have done this for you if you had asked. We are now putting this on the wall.

We have checked the Wardrobe it opens and closes fine. The lock is not broken. It is antique and the handle needs to be turned before it is pulled open.

The room you stayed in was our biggest room, and is very spacious. There was no need to climb over the bed. There were other places you could have put the cot. That room also has a set of adult bunks in, which I believe you were thinking of using the bottom one for your little girl.

You were checked and out by the same a senior member of staff overlooked by the owner. She assures me you were given the correct details on arrival. The owner was also there on departure and you were asked if everything was OK.

I do believe the staff were very hospitable and even prepared you a bacon sandwich fresh for your husband to take to you in your room as you could not make it to breakfast. I can assure you we value our customers, we would not want anyone to feel otherwise. We are a very small team here. Many customers come back year after year.

We do not have a restaurant we are an Inn with a 16th century pub attached .We do have a large conservatory for people to enjoy their meal in but it is not a restaurant. We are lucky to have these facilities as most B&B don’t have a bar or food available at all except for breakfast.

We are glad you enjoyed the food. We use the board exclusively in the Winter as we use fresh local produce, which changes daily.

We are sorry if you thought it was a race to the bar as it was very quiet that weekend.

I am very sorry we did not meet your expectations. We feel we offer more than most 3* inns/B&B (not Hotel)

If you had let us know about these things I am sure we could have resolved them for you. We have also tried to contact you before posting this.

Best Regards

The Sun Hotel

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Having been coming to the Lake District all of my life I have always loved this pub, great atmosphere, fabulous locals, excellent menu with lots of choice, friendly clientele and a lovely landlady and land lord. On my most rent visits, which are always with friends, we always have food an a few drinks, I have been so disappointed with the manor of a member of staff, I assume to be the bar manager, his surly style on my last three visits (everyone deserves a second chance!) has really put me off, so rude and ignorant my family and friends commented on it, which after my high praise for the venue was more than embarrassing.
Such a great place is being let down, smiles are after all free and politeness reciprocated.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TomSpark15
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Stayed in lovely cottage in Coniston weekend Saturday 24th November and went to the Sun Hotel for evening dinner. Both myself and my wife became ill shortly after eating the meal and I was so badly affected I have reported this to South Lakes Food and Safety for investigation.
I am awaiting their advice on the hotel's food standards but in the meantime I would be warey of eating there again as this completely ruined our weekend away.
The Hotel itself is homely and staff are friendly, we didn't stay overnight so can't comment on rooms etc so my only complaint is with regard to the suspect food contamination.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Brian C
Reviewed November 27, 2012

In Coniston for a 3 nights, a walking holiday with a few mates and although not stopping here we visited the pub on 2 of the 3 nights.

On the first night we ate here and had no complaints, in fact my mate who chose the beef casserole was going on about the glories of it 2 days later.

On our second visit we had decided for a change to eat at the chip shop at the bottom of the hill. So we walked up the hill (small bank) for a pre tea beer and then off to the chippy.

We then decided that the beer was so good it was worth the walk back up the mountain (well after the large portion of Fish and Chips in was like a mountain) back to the Sun Inn.

It's a big place but the way it's built it does not appear to be, the conservatory looked fantastic with extensive views. If you want sport and pool it’s available and nicely located on the upper deck and not intrusive to anyone that just wants a quiet pint.

The food and beer choice was excellent and a lot of work has gone into this , we will return.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I have visited this pub before and enjoyed the food and real ales. So this time I decided to stay over we had room 3 which together with the bathroom was modern clean and tidy and could not be faulted for the price.The pub itself is atmospheric with low beamed ceilings .There are a lot of locals who use this pub which always sends out the right signals to me.I like real ales and there are 8 on tap I've got to say that the barngates Tag lag was on and on song. Staff are friendly and helpful.The breakfast was also very good.

Room Tip: Room 3 nice clean modern and tidy
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We really enjoyed our weekend in the Sun Inn - it's the perfect location for walking in the Coniston Fells, and a comfy bed and a massive bath were just what we wanted after a day in the November weather.

The bar had 8 beers, all reasonably priced and good quality, and the breakfast was really good.

The only downside, as others have mentioned, was that the food in the evenings was a bit expensive for our budget. Saying that, all the other pubs in the village have similar prices. Maybe time for the inn-keepers of Coniston to get together and think about their pricing?

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I just adore this hotel. Based at the start of a walk to the Old Man. Magnificent scenery from the front of the hotel. Our family has many parties here over the years and the buffets/dinners have always been magnificent. The staff are very friendly. Rooms are of an excellent standard. Would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: All of a good standard.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coniston
The Yewdale Inn
The Windermere Hotel
The Windermere Hotel
#20 of 20 in Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant

Been to The Sun Coniston? Share your experiences!